Character Submission Thread

jkason

First Post
I started going through Cythera, and got myself hung up on a rules question. Mithral brings armor down a category for movement 'and other restrictions,' but mithral also requires proficiency at its normal level. Cythera clearly has proficiency from fighter levels, but my question is: is the bard ability to avoid spell failure tied to his specific armor proficiency? Bard training is specialized to learn to work armor into somatic components; fighter training wouldn't really be bothered by it. i.e. is the spell failure lifted by the first part of mithril or kept because of the second?

It's an honest question, as I've never encountered this particular combo before.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I started going through Cythera, and got myself hung up on a rules question. Mithral brings armor down a category for movement 'and other restrictions,' but mithral also requires proficiency at its normal level. Cythera clearly has proficiency from fighter levels, but my question is: is the bard ability to avoid spell failure tied to his specific armor proficiency? Bard training is specialized to learn to work armor into somatic components; fighter training wouldn't really be bothered by it. i.e. is the spell failure lifted by the first part of mithril or kept because of the second?

It's an honest question, as I've never encountered this particular combo before.
Mithral

Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than steel but just as hard.
When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful material from which to create armor, and is occasionally used for other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. This decrease does not apply to proficiency in wearing the armor. A character wearing mithral full plate must be proficient in wearing heavy armor to avoid adding the armor's check penalty to all his attack rolls and skill checks that involve moving. Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonuses are increased by 2, and armor check penalties are decreased by 3 (to a minimum of 0).
I take it to mean Cythera needs the medium armor proficiency for being able to use the armor without ACP to skills and attacks.

But, it is considered light armor for movement and spell failure.

That's my take on it.

IronWolf

blank
I think the important line from the Mithral description is:

Mithral said:
Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. This decrease does not apply to proficiency in wearing the armor.

Looks like the armor is one category lower than normal for "movement and other limitations". I would suspect the bard abilities fall under the "other limitations" clause. And as you said, the proficiency aspect is covered under his fighter levels.

jkason

First Post
Sounds like I'm the only one who found it confusing, so works for me. Not done looking over the sheet yet, but wanted to figure that out before I got myself more confused. :)

jkason

First Post
Feedback on Cythera

Weapons stats:

* Heavy Flail also has the disarm and trip special qualities
* Composite Longbow range is 110 feet, not 115.
* Ranged dagger attack line is missing range: 10'

Class Features:

* Dervish Dancers lose bardic knowledge, instead gaining Fleet (+10' land speed during a dance, +5' per 4 levels)

* A second level Dervish Dancer also has the Versatile Dance (replacing versatile performance) class feature: +1/2 level on perform (dance) checks, usable on Acrobatics checks a la versatile performance.

Skills:

* As noted above, a Dervish Dancer doesn't benefit from Bardic Knowledge, so all the Know skills are off. Also, since you can use your Dance checks for Acrobatics, it's probably not worth it to burn a skill point on Acrobatics itself.

* She should have the +2 from her various MWK books though. At least, I think that's what the "book of x +2" entries are?

* Perform (Dance) should be +12 from her Versatile Dance class feature bonus.

Satin Knights

First Post
More comments on Cythera,
A) Resistance is a pointless cantrip when you own a Cloak of Resistance. They don't stack.
B) Light is also marginalized by the Ioun Torch.
C) I would suggest Read Magic so you can use scrolls without resorting to a decipher check via spellcraft every time.
D) Mending is good to self-repair the dents and dings in your armor and weapons.
E) At sixth level, you are still living out of your backpack because you don't have a home? :p Apartments and homes

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases