The Wayfinders - The Wreck of the Archon

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral looks at Midian with newfound admiration. "For a druid, you are sharp when it comes to human nature in the so-called civilized lands. You are right in that we should enjoy ourselves and act naturally. Whoever hired the assassin may be excited and watching over the drop box location for news. Let us go about the business we have come here for and when night falls Whisper can disguise herself to be nondescript and make the drop, as I am shamed to admit that her talents there exceed mine. Perhaps I or one of your special druidic friends can watch over the drop and alert the rest of us when someone else goes to it."

Shayuri

First Post
"I agree with Doral, with one caveat," Whisper says in her quiet tones. "Is this something we even want to bother pursuing? Once I make the drop, then the intended victim is safe, as long as he keeps his head down. There our obligation, as I see it, ends. We can take the money, if we feel it doesn't besmirch our collective honor to do so. Or we can attempt to capture the courier and track him back to the culprits, if we wish. Or we can simply do nothing, secure in knowing that we averted a stranger's ugly fate."

"We should decide what outcome we want before we get too deep into discussing our course of action."

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

Midian bites his lip, thinking.

"I'll admit I've not thought it through much. Emotions have run understandably high with Jaron's killer returned, and I think the old family business of rooting out evil may have sunk in more than I thought. Jaron's killer is dead and gone now, though. I think we determined that much back on the car, and disposed of the last member of that foul conspiracy.

"Perhaps Whisper's right, and we're best off disposing of this unpleasantness and finding out what these invitations are really all about."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Doral ponders for a moment, then says "Whoever wanted Dante Moar dead is likely to continue. However, this is a perfect opportunity for Dante to leave his past behind. If we do not pursue this he can cut away his old life and live anew."

Dr Simon

Explorer
Kraken doesn't need to play at being the tourist; he's wandering around with his mouth hanging open. Although he's now familiar with lightning rails and airships he's not yet seen such an abundance, and he's still impressed by even the most basic elements of civilisation. And so he's only half-listening to the conversation.

"Huh?" he says, zoning back in. "Well, if you ask me, reckon maybe it makes sense to do the thing we were paid for first, eh? But keep an eye out on case there's more of these toy crossbow people about."

SelcSilverhand

First Post
OOC
[SBLOCK]
For clarification, you have another 200-300 miles to go before reaching the Village of Arcanix and the floating towers above it. Right now you're in the city of Passage. In the morning you have the option of buying horses, a coach, or other means of transportation for the final leg of the trip.
If you have any last bits of shopping to do, now is the time. I'll have a bigger update posted here sometime this weekend.
[/SBLOCK]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Growing up and traveling throughout Aundair, Doral is familiar with the sights and attractions of Passage. He leads you to a fine hotel where you are able to get rooms for the night. You are able to reserve most of a floor for yourselves and you find your rooms quite luxuriant. There are soft feather beds, magically renewing basins of water for washing and another for bathing, large windows with a view of the city, and even safes for storing valuables. Once you've had a chance to freshen up, he leads you out into the city to enjoy some of the sights. You get a chance to see one of the fabled House Cannith enclaves, its entrance flanked by massive stone golems. Columns of colored smoke rise from chimneys farther back in the factory complex as the workers within prepare new mechanical contraptions to reveal to the world. Since the destruction of Cyre, the three remaining enclaves have bickered and fought over who will be the new head of the House. The streets of the city are lit up by magelights fixed to poles. Many of them emit different colored lights and Doral shows you how to navigate based on what street you are one. The lights facing north are all one color, while the ones face south, or east, or west are another color. Flares of light or gusts of wind mark the passage of the airships coming and going overhead. The city is constantly busy, even late into the night. You make your way down streets packed with carts, animals, and people as Doral leads you to a fine restaurant operated by the hospitalors of House Ghallandra. You are treated to a fine meal with freshly caught fish, warm buttery loaves, golden Aundair wine, and strong Karranthi cheese. It is late at night before you finally make your way back to the hotel.

In the morning you awaken fully refreshed and after a filling breakfast, you head for the House Orien hub. Near where you disembarked from the train, the hub holds several different businesses to helping travelers get to their destinations. There are several travel options, mundane and magebred horses, elemental pulled carts, supply caravans, coaches, and even magical teleportation. After some debate over the safety, comfort, and cost, you elect for a four horse team cart. After your gear and supplies are stored aboard you set out from the western gate of the city. Midian drives from the front board with Doral at his side as a guide.

The journey to the Village of the Arcanix is calm and relaxing. It takes several days to make the trip but numerous inns dot the landscape between you and your destination. The sun is warm overhead while the breeze from your passage keeps it from getting too hot. The road is well traveled and you pass or are passed by other groups on a regular basis. Occasionally you see soaring formations of dragonhawk riders patroling skies above. The road takes you through the Eldritch Grove forest, but despite the foreboding name you find it quite pleasant. On the far side of the forest your destination slowly comes into view. It starts out as specks on the horizon that grow and rise higher and higher. The four towers of the Arcanix. Each is a floating island of stone covered with dozens of towering structures. No two towers are alike either in building material or design. Some are short and squat while others are tall and spindly. A few are clearly magically stabilized as no mundane structure would stand with their shape. Each island floats several thousand feet in the air. Below the islands is the village of Arcanix. Doral tells you that it is not a normal village. Primarily it contains numerous places of entertainment, taverns, and shops. A large portion of the city is devoted to storage buildings for the wizards. While few travelers come here who are not acolytes or applicants, there are almost daily caravans arriving to unload supplies ordered by the wizards for their experiments.
The village has no direct means of accessing the towers. Those with business with the wizards above have their choice of either flying under their own power, magical spells of levitation or flight, or the rental of Hippogryphs that can carry a full sized human. Unless you supply the magic yourself, most of the means of transportation come with high prices.
As you debate which option to take to reach the towers, the problem of what to do with your grisly trophy arises as well. Where in the village do you want to leave it where it will be found before scavenging vermin or dogs?

jkason

First Post
Midian Rightson, human druid

OOC: oops. I thought the proper location was something we'd gotten from the assassin during Whisper's questioning of him... :blush:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
OOC: I am for hand waving it. ;) Drop it off and try to make our next appointment.

IC: Doral judges the distance to the Nocturnas Tower. "Though it would exhaust me, I can cast several spells that would enable us to fly to Nocturnas Tower. However, the letter we received mentioned that the Trannix family has already been payed for transport once we arrived at this very village. Let us start there." Doral tries to find the Trannix place of business by memory, asking the locals for directions when needed.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases