Jeff Grubb on WotC and layoffs

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Look at the comics industry, where a writer+artist team can increase the appeal of a book.

I think publishers could benefit from fostering a greater name recognition. Back in the 70s, Jack Kirby was the first comics creator to become a selling point

Problem with that is it dilutes the brand. You want people following your brand, not your employees.

(when DC hired him away from Marvel, his books had a "Kirby is Here!" bullet).

Exactly. Case in point. Make the creator the brand, the creator moves elsewhere, your brand goes with him. Which can be a sore point if you spent millions promoting and developing the brand.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
He mentions that the timing (frequently Christmas) of the layoffs is due to the fact that management tries to put off the layoffs for as long as possible in the hope that the numbers will balance out, with the fiscal year end in December being the hard deadline after which they cannot delay what is often the inevitable.

I'm not comfortable with the premise that layoffs are a cyclical option that can only be held at bay so long each year and only left out of the equation in rare times. I think it would be better to look at it like backing over someone with the car. It's not only in a good year that not backing over someone with the car is reason for celebration. It is never okay to back over someone with the car. Nor is claiming that waiting until the end of the year to back over someone with the car because you put it off as long as you could a redeeming stance. If someone is backed over with the car you rarely blame the person being backed over, you might look at the car and make some changes to it, but you always take a good look at the driver, especially if people are being backed over year after year and sometimes in groups. There are acceptable levels of profitability that fall short of needing cyclical layoffs and have the added benefit of maimtinaing institutional memory.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I'm not comfortable with the premise that layoffs are a cyclical option that can only be held at bay so long each year and only left out of the equation in rare times. I think it would be better to look at it like backing over someone with the car. It's not only in a good year that not backing over someone with the car is reason for celebration. It is never okay to back over someone with the car. Nor is claiming that waiting until the end of the year to back over someone with the car because you put it off as long as you could a redeeming stance. If someone is backed over with the car you rarely blame the person being backed over, you might look at the car and make some changes to it, but you always take a good look at the driver, especially if people are being backed over year after year and sometimes in groups. There are acceptable levels of profitability that fall short of needing cyclical layoffs and have the added benefit of maimtinaing institutional memory.

Yes, I agree with this.

I don't accept WotC's argument that they put off layoffs as much as possible, particularly year after year around the holidays. There are a lot of companies who when they are forced to make layoffs around the holidays, they change their budgeting processes, their controls, and if need be, change their reporting cycle so they that they don't fall into the trap of having to make such tough decisions again the following year. I'm a financial analyst and as someone who creates budgets, implements them, and conducts financial analysis, managers have the tools to change or implement changes in their budgetary processes to avoid these issues so that employees are not given the holiday fruitcake along with a pink slip.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, I agree with this.

I don't accept WotC's argument that they put off layoffs as much as possible, particularly year after year around the holidays.

To be clear, this is in no way "WotC's argument". It's from Jeff Grubb's blog.

Therise

First Post
Problem with that is it dilutes the brand. You want people following your brand, not your employees.

Exactly. Case in point. Make the creator the brand, the creator moves elsewhere, your brand goes with him. Which can be a sore point if you spent millions promoting and developing the brand.
Just speculating... but this may be one reason why author by-lines are now showing up as "RPG Team" or "Wizards RPG Team" on several 4E products.

At least, that's how several recent supplements have shown their authors over at Amazon.

Klaus

First Post

That's when you keep the employees with exclusive contracts, or try to groom the next superstar. Plus, there's always the appeal of having the famed creator working on a beloved property (say, "Coming in 2013: World of Greyhawk by Monte Cook" <---- I just made this up, okay?)

As for the brand, you have to make it valuable by having the best creators working on it. You can then license the brand to merchandising and adaptations that will give you "effort-free" revenue.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's when you keep the employees with exclusive contracts, or try to groom the next superstar.

But you can't hold on to someone for life. They'll leave one day when someone offers more money than you can.

Plus, there's always the appeal of having the famed creator working on a beloved property (say, "Coming in 2013: World of Greyhawk by Monte Cook" <---- I just made this up, okay?)

There will be the appeal to your competition for having the creator you spent millions building up working on their property, sure.

That's a model that's fantastic for the creators; but sucky for those expected to invest in them.

I'm not advocating the opposite, but there should be a middle ground.

Klaus

First Post
But you can't hold on to someone for life. They'll leave one day when someone offers more money than you can.

There will be the appeal to your competition for having the creator you spent millions building up working on their property, sure.

That's a model that's fantastic for the creators; but sucky for those expected to invest in them.

I'm not advocating the opposite, but there should be a middle ground.
The middle ground is where you have great properties and great creators and the marriage is happy.

Celebrim

Legend
I am not sure the designers names on the cover are a really selling point to most gamers. Or, perhaps more accurately - the sort of gamers who can tell one designer form another are also not going to be deterred by not knowing the name on the cover.

I'm sure you are right, but I'm not sure that it follows that even if the consumer does not know the name that they aren't able to distinguish between the quality of the product. In short, I'm saying that some designers really produce a better quality product than others, and that those designers will establish a reputation eventually.

As an example, when it first came out I became a big fan of Babylon 5. Because this was now the 'internet age' it was possible for us fan boys to track the show more closely than ever, and so I learned the name J. Michael Straczynski. So I became a fan of JMS. But then what I learned is that I had literally been a fan of JMS for years before. I was HUGE fan of 'Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future' and I owned the toys. I watched 'The Real Ghostbusters' every afternoon after school. I was a huge fan even though I had never noted his name.

Likewise, during college I became a fan of David Gerrold through exposure to the 'War against the Chtorr' series, but then discovered that I hadn't just become a fan - I'd always been one my entire conscious life. I'd been a fan of 'The Land of the Lost' back in pre-school. He'd wrote the 'Trouble with Tribbles' episode for Star Trek. In short, even though I'd never made an attempt to follow him by name, I'd managed to do so.

With RPG writers, my first experience of this was with Tracy Hickman.

Just because we live in a culture that celebrates brands and not artists/producers, doesn't mean that brands survive independently of the artists/producers that create them.

The ideal situation for an entertainment brand like 'Dungeons and Dragons' is that they have a healthy relationship with an artist from which they buy the rights to intellectual property that becomes the selling point of the brand.

Stan Lee created comic book characters. Stan Lee is a selling point for Marvel. But Stan Lee also created intellectual property for Marvel which will continue to be a revenue stream for the company long after Stan has gone to the great creative team in the sky. Stan may leave, and this may be a blow to the company, but as long as the company retains Spider Man, Iron Man, The Hulk, X-Men, etc. they are going to retain a fan base and be able to market a product.

Just to provoke some conversation, how much new IP of this sort has WotC created in the last 10 or 12 years? Doesn't it seem to you that they are _still_ mining the IP of decades past? How much of what they've done since the 25th anniversay is simply just revisiting again and again what they made in the first 25 years?

Last edited:

Remove ads