The Hobbit Trailer

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think this is "close enough" to fantasy role playing related news to warrant a mention here! If you haven't seen it yet, here's the trailer for THE HOBBIT, which is set for release December 14th, 2012.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc[/ame]

The adventure follows the journey of title character Bilbo Baggins, who is swept into an epic quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the fearsome dragon Smaug. Approached out of the blue by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior, Thorin Oakenshield. Their journey will take them into the Wild; through treacherous lands swarming with Goblins and Orcs, deadly Wargs and Giant Spiders, Shapeshifters and Sorcerers. Although their goal lies to the East and the wastelands of the Lonely Mountain first they must escape the goblin tunnels, where Bilbo meets the creature that will change his life forever…Gollum. Here, alone with Gollum, on the shores of an underground lake, the unassuming Bilbo Baggins not only discovers depths of guile and courage that surprise even him, he also gains possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities … A simple, gold ring that is tied to the fate of all Middle-earth in ways Bilbo cannot begin to know.

Last edited:

tecnowraith

First Post
Here is the YouTube version as well:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc&feature=player_embedded]THE HOBBIT Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]

SteelDraco

First Post
EEeeeeeh!

So glad to be seeing this.

I had a hard time identifying a lot of this - seems they're changing any number of things around. Galadriel appearing at all is a big departure, presumably she's involved in Gandalf's side stuff with the Necromancer in the south of Mirkwood? It looked like there was a brief flash of a fight with the trolls, which seemed neat.

I wonder how far the first movie will go. I'm personally guessing it'll stop when Bilbo gets out of the Misty Mountains and rejoins his allies on the far side. That leaves Mirkwood, the Lonely Mountain, Smaug's death, and the Battle of Five Armies for the second movie. Hm. That seems like a lot, even for a three-hour movie.

The singing was interesting - I never thought of that song as being so slow. The dwarves seem a bit goofy-looking, and Thorin doesn't seem old enough to me - wasn't he one of the oldest, just after Balin? That's nitpicking, though. I'm certainly going to see this at least once in the theater, and am very excited about it.

Stormonu

Legend
EEeeeeeh!

So glad to be seeing this.

I had a hard time identifying a lot of this - seems they're changing any number of things around. Galadriel appearing at all is a big departure, presumably she's involved in Gandalf's side stuff with the Necromancer in the south of Mirkwood? It looked like there was a brief flash of a fight with the trolls, which seemed neat.

I wonder how far the first movie will go. I'm personally guessing it'll stop when Bilbo gets out of the Misty Mountains and rejoins his allies on the far side. That leaves Mirkwood, the Lonely Mountain, Smaug's death, and the Battle of Five Armies for the second movie. Hm. That seems like a lot, even for a three-hour movie.

The singing was interesting - I never thought of that song as being so slow. The dwarves seem a bit goofy-looking, and Thorin doesn't seem old enough to me - wasn't he one of the oldest, just after Balin? That's nitpicking, though. I'm certainly going to see this at least once in the theater, and am very excited about it.

Doesn't Gandalf get the ring of fire (Narnsel?) from Galadrel? I'm assuming that's part of the reason we see her, as well as fleshing out why they mourned him so at Lolthainen, as well as perhaps Legola's statement when they are in Lolthlainen "They say other things about him I cannot repeat".

Also, it looks like we are going to see a good bit of Gandalf's side of the story searching for the Necromancer. I noticed that when he was on the Weathertop-like structure, he was carrying Glamdring - obviously that scene occurs somewhere after the troll scene.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases