Time Based XP Rewards

DalkonCledwin

First Post
And there is a cut and paste error in the first post of the adventure. Arianna's XP total is off. ;) I am pretty sure she is not ready for third level yet.

Yeah you are right, there was a copy and paste error in the first post of the adventure with relation to Arianna specifically. I have corrected that issue as of now. I will also be updating the Time XP and GP earned so far into the first post. Please note that in the case of the Time GP that you the players will be unable to utilize it until the end of the adventure in question.

As for the issue regarding my proposed period for leveling up. No that was not a copy pasta error. I had originally intended to allow such an area prior to discussing the issue at length with Perrinmiller. There will definitely still be a mid adventure respite. However whether you will be allowed to level up during that respite is probably unlikely at this point given my discussions with Perrinmiller at this juncture.

That reference to a possible mid adventure level up is more a remnant of an earlier incarnation of the adventure.

I also apologize for not specifying more detail about my adventure in the recruitment thread, but I am afraid I must disagree with the recruitment thread listing that much detail about the adventure as that will often spoil a great amount of the storyline of the adventure, or even possibly the encounters. If the players know ahead of time how many times they can theoretically expect to level, it kind of takes half the fun out of the adventure in my opinion.

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
YES

YES, with the exception of those parts highlighted - IMO, these are your preferences SK, and should be left out of official rulings. The stipulation that leveling conditions will be published in the first adventure post will allow the potential adventurers to decide if they want to participate based on what the GM decides.

I'm happy to share! Sadly it's an .xlsx (Excel 2007?) file, which isn't supported by ENWorld's attachment function, and it makes use of protected cells so I can't put it up on Google Docs. Anyone who wants the sheet can PM me their e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Hey, Mowgli. Just open the file, do a save as and save it as an Excel 97 or 2000 file. That one you can share around.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Hey, Mowgli. Just open the file, do a save as and save it as an Excel 97 or 2000 file. That one you can share around.

I tried that, but some of the conditional statements I used for formatting don't work correctly in earlier versions of Excel. I've e-mailed [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] to request the list of allowed attachments be expanded to include newer versions of Office files (.xlsx and .docx). Hopefully we'll get a response fairly soon.

IronWolf

blank
I tried that, but some of the conditional statements I used for formatting don't work correctly in earlier versions of Excel. I've e-mailed [MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION] to request the list of allowed attachments be expanded to include newer versions of Office files (.xlsx and .docx). Hopefully we'll get a response fairly soon.

I can host the file on some space I have as well. Then you can just link to it from a post here. If interested you can email me the file and I will put it up tomorrow.

IronWolf

blank
I think we need to get the vote wrapped up on this one way or the other so we can close this issue and get the wiki updated.

So, Issue One: Time based XP and GP awards:
A) Encounter XP is earned at the end of the encounter.
B) Encounter GP is earned at the end of the encounter and only spendable at a GM allowed store visit or after the adventure is over. Loot gets distributed within the party and used as is, or traded for gold or other items at a store visit later.
C) Time based XP is earned daily.
D) Time based GP is earned daily and only spendable at the point the hiring agent that started the adventure pays you, usually the last minute of the adventure. (On the wiki sheet: Character X is due nnn gp as pay at the adventure's completion.)
E) The GM, at his or her discretion, updates the first post of the adventure to list the TXP and TGP awards at a frequency of the GM's choosing.
F) Since it is a simple number multiplication, the player can update his wiki character sheet with the TXP and TGP awards updated to the current day of editing as the player so desires, specifically marking them as TXP and TGP awards earned. In other words, the TXP and TGP can be updated by the player daily, but the GM only has to update when he or she is in the mood.
G) If the player finds he is eligible to level, he PMs the GM to notify the GM that he is eligible for leveling. The GM then, a) checks the numbers, b) responds by PM, or in game, when he can work in the leveling.

YES

Satin Knights said:
I hereby call for a VOTE on Issue One: yes, no, or H) Add this.
I also want to hear non-binding votes from current GMs running adventures who are not judges.

Issue Two: When can the characters level?
1) After a game has finished. (Had to throw in the obvious one here.)
2) Pauses in story to "level up" is up to the GM. Even if the character has earned enough XP to level, it is up to the GM as to when and if it is convenient in the story. The GM should make a good effort at allowing the characters to level at the earliest convenience in the the story line.
3) In the recruiting at the DWI and in the first post of the adventure, the GM should list the leveling plans. These include:
i) The adventure is long enough that characters are expected to level N times and the adventure will likely run Y-Z months.
ii) Breaks for leveling will be done at
a) after the qualifying encounter.
b) after a night's rest.
c) at specific story plot points. There will be # possibilities.
d) none planned.
The highly preferred option is (a) unless there is a plot twist reason as to choose another option. Number crunching shows that unless more than half the party is leveling, APL vs CR is not affected enough to disrupt the script.
iii) Leveling includes gaining HP and spell slots, but the spell slots are treated as if they were left empty.
iv) other GM desired rules or class specific rules.
4) The game judge certifies the numbers at the end of the adventure.
5) The character reviewing judge verifies the numbers in the first and last post of an adventure that the game judge has certified while he is reviewing the character.

I hereby call for a VOTE on Issue Two: yes, no, or 6) Add this.
Again, I also want to hear non-binding votes from current GMs running adventures who are not judges.

I agree with Mowgli to remove the parts he highlighted in his response (though I do agree with your viewpoint). YES

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I vote YEA on the first issue.

I am afraid I must disagree with the recruitment thread listing that much detail about the adventure as that will often spoil a great amount of the storyline of the adventure, or even possibly the encounters. If the players know ahead of time how many times they can theoretically expect to level, it kind of takes half the fun out of the adventure in my opinion.
You guys are ignoring this comment in your voting? I do have an opinion. (Imagine that :p)

I think the cat is out of the bag on how long an adventure will be in the advertisement, since it is normal for DMs to list things like "Medium length adventure of about 7-8 encounters."

However, if you are in the middle of things and knowing that you are going to be able to have an intermission soon, does impact gameplay. Particularly for those conserving expendable powers and resources. Off the top of my head, mainly spell-casters. So a DM should be allowed to be vague, particularly if there are non-linear parts.

SK's with some editing said:
Issue Two: When can the characters level?
1) After a game has finished. (Had to throw in the obvious one here.)
2) Pauses in story to "level up" is up to the GM. Even if the character has earned enough XP to level, it is up to the GM as to when and if it is convenient in the story.
3) In the recruiting at the DWI and in the first post of the adventure, the GM should list the leveling plans if possible. These include:
i) The adventure is of short/medium/long length with potential to level up 1-X times.
ii) Breaks for leveling will be done at
a) after the qualifying encounter.
b) after a night's rest.
c) at specific story plot points. There will be # possibilities.
d) none planned.
iii) Leveling includes gaining HP and spell slots, but the spell slots are treated as if they were left empty.
iv) other GM desired rules or class specific rules.
4) The game judge certifies the numbers at the end of the adventure.
5) The character reviewing judge verifies the numbers in the first and last post of an adventure that the game judge has certified while he is reviewing the character.

I posted the second issue again with some word changes to make it clear we are taking out the lines Mowgli suggested. In light of DC's concern, I wordsmithed the other line.

re: Item iii) This sounds like we are making a standard on that.

While I do remember the initial rules on mid-adventure leveling that AFg had, I also did clarify them to make them fairer to spell-casters. Personally, I am quite liberal on this issue.

However, there are a few other issues that might need to be addressed and spelled out for an official standard before the voting gets passed. Characters that take a level in a new class that gain features that require acquisition of new items is a prime example.

So I will vote YEA on this, but I think the above issue needs to be flushed out more beforehand.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I think that overall the above is a general guideline: what we would like to see from a DM and some points that a DM might not have thought about, but still giving the DM the freedom to run the game in his own style.

As for section iii, since many DMs including myself have taken to cutting and pasting a games rules section from other DMs it has already become a standard of sorts. But not one that needs to apply universally if a DM chooses another method.

re: class feature items. Such as spellbooks, arcane bond items, familiars, companions, etc.? I'm in favor of erring on the side of what is most fun, which for the player is usually getting those things as soon as possible despite verisimilitude or logic. Often as a DM I've made the opposite choice, though.

Remove ads