Star Wars The Old Republic MMO

Felon

First Post
So, let me ask you guys something. I watched Gamespot do a livestream during the beta, and it was a very featureless, bland-looking game. Characters would walk into a bar, and there would be barren. No decorations, nothing that made it look it was open for business, no ambient sounds, and basically no atmosphere. Lack of detail always puts me off any game. Is this true of the release version?

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I've been playing since the beta, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I've got a cadre of friends (many from high school 25+ years ago) with whom online games are our best way to keep in touch, and for the past 6 years that's been WOW. We've been tired of WOW for a while, and each new expansion has restored our interest for shorter periods.

IMO, SWTOR does most of what WOW does pretty well, and improves on some pieces of it. I like that they've taken the time to have voice acting for every quest giver, and letting you play through those scenes -- I find I'm much more engaged in the ongoing story of the campaign. I like the companions, the crafting mechanics, etc. Lots to like about it.

I've got a 31st level imperial agent (and several other alts), and I'm enjoying the moral ambiguity involved in playing him as a light-side, good-hearted agent of a pretty dark, twisted empire. The game does a good job of making that sort of play interesting.

-rg

MarkB

Legend
I've been playing since the pre-launch early access, and having a great time. My main character is a trooper who's just hit 36th level, and I've also played a Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular and Smuggler into the late teens.

I've found each of them highly enjoyable, and will look forward, sometime in the future, to playing some of the Empire characters, as I know from my experiences on the beta weekends that they've got some compelling storylines going.

So, let me ask you guys something. I watched Gamespot do a livestream during the beta, and it was a very featureless, bland-looking game. Characters would walk into a bar, and there would be barren. No decorations, nothing that made it look it was open for business, no ambient sounds, and basically no atmosphere. Lack of detail always puts me off any game. Is this true of the release version?
I can't remember any featureless rooms, and the bars (cantina) usually have some activity in form of dancers, background music, patrons.

MarkB

Legend
Cantinas always have some kind of music playing, and you can buy a jukebox token from the bartender to select a new tune.

Gronin

Explorer
Yeah, avoid the game entirely.

Here's a measure you can use for yourself to gauge whether you'll be happy with it or not:

1) Did you play Cryptic's Star Trek MMO?

2) Did you like it?

If you answered yes to both questions, then the Star Wars MMO will be right up your alley. Otherwise, avoid it like the plague that it is.

Not sure where you are coming from on this as I played Cryptic's Star Trek and it was horrible (I am a huge Star Trek fan and I really wanted it to be be good but it just wasn't) - space combat was boring and repeptitive and the surface stuff was much, much worse.

TOR, on the other hand, is very enjoyable. The story lines are, for the most part, well done - I have been playing since early release and so far have not been disappointed. If you like the stuff that Bioware does you will enjoy this MMO.

Meatboy

First Post
I've never played MMOs before so I wasn't sure what to expect going into this. But I am a big fan of Bioware so decided to give it a go. I'd say the game is about 3.5 out of 5 for me. The story is what really keeps me moving forward in the game. The voice acting and the lore are great.

For me the glaring weakness is the actual game play. If I have to move to a new area find three things and mop up 50 bad guys on the way... again. I will probably vomit... :mad: I mean seriously almost every single quest follows this. And I'm barely past level 20. The other downer is how much walking you have to do. When I was on Courascant the walk from the starport to the senate must be several minutes in real time. That is not cool.

Despite those game play things the story is good enough to keep me slogging through flesh reapers, pirates, droids, imperials, gangs and whatever other cookie cutter mobs that infest every inch of everywhere...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases