Ostracized to the Basement (Birth of the Man-Cave)

Aeolius

Adventurer
Apparently, I will be moving my tanks to a large unfinished side of my basement before Spring. The finished portion of the basement has been claimed by my wife, for use as a photo studio. Here's a quick diagram:

6738067437_87e1c1210c_b.jpg

My tanks are a 240g (96"x24"), 155g (72"x24"), 72g (48"x18"), cylindrical 70g (28"d), 80g frag tank (48"x48"), and the ever-popular 35g hex (20"d).

In the diagram, the black box represents a utility sink. if you look carefully behind the 240g, there is a structural pole than cannot be moved (yeah, thrilled about that too).

I've played with a few ideas, but how would you lay the tanks out, for maximum viewing pleasure? Keep in mind I'd like to place a large table, for gaming, etc.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Can they be setup to encircle the gaming area with access to them from behind a wall or with cabinet doors above them for access so that only the front pane of glass is actually exposed? If not encircling, perhaps set up just along the wall behind the GM's chair?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For you, I'd think of calling it a grotto, rather than a cave.

"The Aeolius Gaming Grotto" has a nice ring to it.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I actually really like both of the above ideas which, given my contrary nature and history with the above two posters, is saying something :)

With them encircling the room and with a false wall behind them to create an area to access them for cleaning and whatnot and to hide cables, you'd also be doubling the cool factor because those areas essentially then become a 'secret' tunnel!

If you do it so that it's entirely behind a false wall with only one pane flush with it, paint the entire area behind it black, you'd also effectively be creating a 'marine sanctuary' sort-of 'viewing gallery' that people could walk around as a sort-of special access show.

Of course, this would also take up a significant amount of space and require building extra frameworks which would probably reduce that room size to unusable levels. Then there's also all those doors and windows which get in the way.

Have you thought about remarrying?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases