Of all the complaints about 3.x systems... do you people actually allow this stuff ?

BryonD

Hero
Well, it's only meaningless if you prefer a specific style of game. If the game is based on process based simulation, then, great, it's going to be a major issue. OTOH, if the game isn't about process based simulation, but based on other criteria, then choosing the latter is not only a valid choice, it becomes the de facto choice because choosing process based simulation would result in poor play.
You have not made a logically valid statement here.

You have simply said that you might find it more fun if those actions are meaningless. And, by all means, do what you find more fun. But that doesn't contradict the point that the actions became meaningless.

IOW, this only becomes a problem when you play with a granularity of simulation fine enough that such determinations are possible. If, OTOH, your simulation is not that fine grained, then there is enough flex in the resolution system to allow you to always arrive on time.
Again, this is just a changing of the parameters. The example presumed it was a known fact that the hero could not get there on time and that was called an off-screen failure. In the example being discussed it is a given that the granularity is fine enough.

If the point made had been that in some cases there is flexibility and the DM should take narrative license to optimize the dramatic result, then I would agree. But in the case of saying that simulation determines something it is implicitly clear that the data is there to make the call, otherwise simulation would be silent on the matter. If the information says X should happen and you ignore that then the actions that led to the current information have been rendered meaningless.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
20 minute adventure days, game-breaking elements, munchins... Well, D&D and roleplaying in general will never be everyone's hobby. There are a lot of elements that require a certain mind-set from a person. One of these is that roleplaying is cooperative gaming and we need to respect that. Person whose main goal is "to win" is not suitable for this hobby.

I guess most people play to win the game and not to just enjoy the experience of gaming. This is one of the reasons D&D will never be the right game for the majority. And I'm not at all sad about this ;)

delchrys

First Post
Well said, Jon Dahl.

"Good" dnd campaigns require several elements:

1) skilled DM who knows when to adhere strictly to the rules and when to abandon them; how much to railroad and how much of a sandbox to build (extremes are terrible); who can weave the players' interests/desires/goals/motivations/backstory into the tapestry of the DM's campaign seamlessly, and who can build player trust

2) players who play to enjoy the challenge and story, who seek to be part of the story and help build the story with their individual goals and group goals in a synergy with the other players and the DM, and who don't care if the DM "breaks rules" from time-to-time (and who don't expect the DM to share when the rule-breaking occurs and when it's just luck or whatever)

3) a robust yet flexible ruleset

4) the illusion that any player character can go anywhere and try anything, with that illusion becoming reality through improv DMing and knowing when to end a session to enable development between sessions in accordance with key choices made by the players in the last session

5) a ruleset that does not eclipse the purpose of the game -- to enjoy the experience (which to me and my players is story and goal achievement at the table as a group, not to "kill as much stuff as possible and maximize damage-dealing efficiency via min/maxing and powergaming"). the ruleset should not be so expansive that players are constantly coming up with abilities and powers that, just by their intended usage are blowing through story elements and obstacles like a cannonball through tissue paper. granted, lots of options and powers (spells, special abilities, etc) are great for players and to a point, necessary, but when the list gets so long that only an autistic savant or someone with an eidetic memory can DM with all of that in their head, that leads to the cannonball/tissue paper problem.

6) a social contract, agreement, or whatever you'd like to call it between the player and DM as to the type of gaming experience that is desired and expected.

7) a healthy history of failures and near-failures early on in the campaign, with a few more later on to keep players aware that they CAN fail and that failure is not the end of all things (at least, not usually), thus making success its own reward.

8) a good mix of timed goals, goals that will be met regardless of time spent/wasted, and goals that will not be achieved no matter what (though the players don't know this). knowing when to subjugate the randomness of dice-rolling or the letter of the law found in rulebooks to the god of "storytelling", and when to do the opposite is a crucial DM skill.

9) there are probably plenty more elements, but the above eight are what i've found work for me. I personally prefer 2E because i've internalized the rules, gotten the system to where i can craft monsters on the fly that are usually perfectly-powered to present the level of challenge my players need, and can (and have) homebrew the hell out of it in a way that the players understand and enjoy.

edit: i guess my point here is that if you have the above elements 1-8, the 20-minute adventure day never becomes a "problem"--it take a while to get to the point where they're even possible, and then the players are "trained" to not abuse it in ways that tortures the suspension of disbelief and thus use it from time-to-time but not so regularly as to make the game stupid. and timed goals, if done right and sparingly, can create a fear in the players that any given goal might be secretly timed, thus reducing their reliance on the 20-minute adventure day.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I don't see the quote I originally responded to in your post here.
It's there.

You responded to this passage, which I repeated in my most recent post:

Conversely, when framing narratively intense scenes is allowed to override simulationist concerns, the hero will arrive "just in time" to try and stop the villain detonating the bomb (or sacrificing the prisoners, or . . .).​

You asked, of the play described in the clause beginning "the hero",

Is that a good thing?
I replied that, for me, it is. The rest of my posts have been reiterating that claim, adducing passages from other systems and designers (Maelstrom Storytelling, Paul Czege) that elaborate on how one GMs a "no failure offscreen game", and explaining how in such a game there may be long term consequences although they will typically not be operational or strategic consequences.

But, that said, if you are going to call that example "cheating" then we have found agreement.
Well, I agree that an example of play that no one advocated, and that it didn't even occur to me you had in mind until you spelled it out in your previous post, is silly.

But I'm not really that fussed about declaring as silly approaches to play that - as far as I'm aware - not even the most railroading "story teller" GM would deploy. My interest is in making it clear why a certain sort of approach to play - timeline, timekeeping play of the sort that the Auld Grump advocated - is not a suitable solution to the 15 minute day for all scenarios and all playstyles.

pemerton

Legend
You have simply said that you might find it more fun if those actions are meaningless. And, by all means, do what you find more fun. But that doesn't contradict the point that the actions became meaningless.
I think [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] was trying to make the same point that I have tried to make - namely, that the operational concerns that are supported by process simulation play may not be the only, or even the principally meaningful things for an RPG group, and that for such a group they will adopt action resolution techniques that focus on other dimensions of meaning. Actions taken by the PCs in the fiction, and resolved by the players at the table using the action resolution mechanics, don't become meaningless just because they are not resolved via process simulation.

The example presumed it was a known fact that the hero could not get there on time
That presumption was made only by you. I assume that Hussar, like me, was responding to the actual example that I gave, quoting Ron Edwards, which makes no such assumption - in part because it is about contrasting playstyles, one of which may involve establishing such physical facts about the fiction, and one of which does not, precisely because it prioritises concerns of pacing and climax and theme over concerns of process simulation/physical facts about the gameworld.

But in the case of saying that simulation determines something it is implicitly clear that the data is there to make the call, otherwise simulation would be silent on the matter. If the information says X should happen and you ignore that then the actions that led to the current information have been rendered meaningless.
Yes. The question is whether the procedures of play generate such information.

If the point made had been that in some cases there is flexibility and the DM should take narrative license to optimize the dramatic result, then I would agree.
The point being made by me, and I think by Hussar, is that it is possible to have a whole game - a whole mechanical framework - which at every point prioritises the achievement of dramatic results over process simulation and fussing over physics. That is why I quoted Ron Edwards, Paul Czege, and the Maelstrom Storytelling guidelines - they all say a bit about how such an approach works, and the techniques that it uses.

BryonD

Hero
I think [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] was trying to make the same point that I have tried to make - namely, that the operational concerns that are supported by process simulation play may not be the only, or even the principally meaningful things for an RPG group, and that for such a group they will adopt action resolution techniques that focus on other dimensions of meaning.
And I'm saying I get that and accept that it may be the root source of fun for some people.

And I'm also saying that regardless of WHY other things trump simulation, a direct result will be a break down in cause and effect. There is no remote obligation for you to care and you can even say I'm crazy and rejecting cause and effect is a benefit as far as you are concerned. That is all fine. But the result exists either way.

BryonD

Hero
It's there.
There was more to your post than that and there was more to my reply than that.

You talked about (or quoted someone talking about) a potential direct effect of simulation being that the hero would have an "off screen failure" of not getting there on time.

I would not have replied at all if you had presented things close to how you are now.

pemerton

Legend
You talked about (or quoted someone talking about) a potential direct effect of simulation being that the hero would have an "off screen failure" of not getting there on time.
I feel you may have misread either me or Ron Edwards.

All I said is that, in a "no failure offscreen" approach, timelines won't work for 15 minute day problems. And I quoted Ron Edwards, on the contrast between various approaches (he calls the "no failure offscreen" approach narrativism), as having influenced my own approach to "no failure offscreen" and therefore why I didn't want to use timeline solutions to the 15 minute adventuring day. Feel free to go back and reread the posts (as I did when I then requoted the salient bits a few posts up).

And I'm also saying that regardless of WHY other things trump simulation, a direct result will be a break down in cause and effect.
This is simply not true. And I want to ask - what non-simulationist systems do you have in mind when you assert this?

There are a range of ways of handling cause and effect in the fiction of an RPG. One widespread one is via what Hussar is calling process simulation, and what The Forge calls purist-for-system simulation - roughly, the action resolution mechanics are a model (more or less abstracted) of the events in the fiction. On this approach, some ingame causation is established by free narration and feeds into the mechanics ("I walk up and say hello to the guards" . . . GM rolls reaction roll). Some ingame causation is established by the mechanices and feeds back into the fiction (Player: "I rolled a 20 - wahoo, its head is cut off"; GM: "OK, the dragon's head tumbles to the floor of the cave and rolls a few paces before stopping at the cleric's feet.")

Another one, also fairly common in designs dating back to AD&D (saving throws, as expressly set out by Gygax in his DMG, and I would argue also Gygaxian hit points) and Tunnels and Trolls, but adopted in a more thoroughgoing fashion by many "modern" RPGs (HeroWars/Quest, Maelstrom Storytelling, 4e to a signficant extent) is to establish ingame cause and effect almost entirely through free narration, with the action resolution mechanics being treated not as a model of those fictional causal processes, but rather as a metagame device for distributing and limiting narrative authority.

A simple example of the contrast in the resolution of a climb attempt. Purist for system mechanics (I'm thinking here of Runequest, Rolemaster, and also 3E as best I recall it) might proceed via a combination of (i) knowing high the cliff is, and (ii) knowing how fast the PC can climb, and (iii) dividing (ii) into (i) to determine the number of successful checks required, then (iv) making each of those checks, the GM narrating the PCs progress up the cliff, and the hitting of the occasional obstacle, as the PC inches his/her way up the cliff. Rollling the dice correlates, at least roughly, to the PC reaching for new handholds and pulling him-/herself up.

Possible alternative mechanics (this is a somewhat simplified amalgam of HeroWars/Quest and Maelstrom Storytelling, and also is how I think skill challenges in 4e are mostly intended to be resolved): the GM sets a target number for the climb, based on a posited difficulty of the climb for the PC - which difficulty may draw on a range of considerations (what would be dramatic here, how high is the cliff, is the PC energised or traumatised, etc, etc). The player makes a climb check. If it is a success, the player narrates his/her PCs successful climbing of the cliff (perhaps emphasising the difficult struggle, perhaps indicating that it was in fact a breeze). If a failure, the GM narrates how the PC fails to achieve what s/he wants (perhaps s/he falls; perhaps s/he struggles to the top, but takes longer than s/he hoped and therefore is disadvantaged in some way).

There is no breakdown of cause and effect under the alternative mechanics. If a PC climbs the cliff, it is the PC's strength and agility, as well as the absence of impossible obstacles and fatal winds, that causally explain that. (And the narration will reflect this - the general assumption is that shared genre expectations play a role here, so in some contexts it may be permissible to narrate a wind spirit carrying the PC to the top of the cliff, but in others it may not.) The narration establishes facts of the fiction, which may matter for all sorts of reasons - morally or thematically, perhaps, or placing constraints on future narration - for example, if success is narrated as a result of the climb being an easy one for the PC, and then on a subsequent occasion the PC comes back to the same wall and the GM wants to up the difficulty (say, for dramatic purposes) then the GM must narrate some change in the causal context - perhaps now there is a fierce wind blowing, whereas last time was still. (The HeroQuest revised rulebook has good advice for GMs running this sort of system, which gives rise to these sorts of issues of "ingame causal facts management".)

One practical difference between these two approaches is that, in Rolemaster, the higher the dice roll the better the PC's effort, whereas in the second approach, the dice roll correlates to success or failure, but is no measure of the PC's effort. So in Rolemaster, an attack roll of 01 on d% is a fumble (in RQ, where lower is better, it's an 00 that is an auto-fumble). Whereas in 4e, a 1 on the die roll is an automatic miss, but otherwise doesn't constrain the narration of the failure. So the 1 could be narrated as a fumble. Or could be narrated as a demonstration of one of the most impressive displays of swordsmanship ever, unfortunately for the PC parried by the NPC's equally impressive display. Again, no breaking of ingame cause and effect - if the PC displayed impressive swordsmanship, and yet failed in the attack, the NPC must have fought equally impressively - but the relationship between ingame cause and effect is preserved via free narration within parameters, rather than being "read off" the process of mechanical resolution.
Another system which takes bits of both sort of approach and puts them together in interesting ways is Burning Wheel. It starts with your basic purist-for-system approach - detailed skill list, skill ranks, objective difficulty classes, etc - but then introduces three twists:

*first, "say yes or roll the dice" - when nothing dramatic is at stake, ingame cause and effect is left to free narration (generally by the players, sometimes by the GM, depending on the exact subject matter of the relevant ingame event);

*second, "let it ride", which says that the first check stands for all subsequent checks on the same skill for the rest of the session unless there is a dramatic change in circumstances (and "dramatic change in circumstances" is fairly narrowly defined by the rules) - so ingame cause and effect becomes, after the first check, becomes a matter of free narration;

*third, "intent and task", which is a requirement that whenever a player has his/her PC attempt a task an intention must also be stated - what is the PC hoping to achieve by undertaking that task - and also a guideline to the GM that the consequences of failed checks are to be narrated primarily with reference to intent rather than task - so a failure on a climb check, for example, is not necessarily to be narrated as a fall, but instead perhaps as a dropping of the MacGuffin (if the intent was to get the MacGuffin to the top of the cliff) or a failure to get to the top on time (if the intent was to get to the top on time) or whatever - so a failed check isn't a determiner of ingame cause and effect, but rather sets parameters on what sort of ingame cause and effect the GM may narrate.

I'm sure there are lots of other possible action resolution mechanics, with various subtle relationships to ingame cause and effect. Even many d20 games, for example, use various sorts of Fate Point mechanics, which sometimes may be conceived of in a simulationinst fashion - spending a Fate Point correlates to something like a divine blessing in the game - but sometimes do not. In Conan OGL, for example, a player can spend a Fate Point so as to be permitted to narrate an NPC ally coming to the PC's aid. This doesn't violate ingame cause and effect - part of spending the Fate Point will require explaining where the NPC came from, how s/he knew the PC needed aid, etc - but it is cause and effect established via free narration subject to constraints, not via the action resolution mechanics modelling any ingame process. In particular, the Fate Point does not, or at least need not, correlate to something like the PC sending the NPC a message in a dream.

I don't think I've quoted this particular passage in this thread, but it seems relevant:

Step On Up is actually quite similar, in social and interactive terms, to Story Now. Gamist and Narrativist play often share the following things:

*Common use of player Author Stance (Pawn or non-Pawn) to set up the arena for conflict. This isn't an issue of whether Author (or any) Stance is employed at all, but rather when and for what.

*Fortune-in-the-middle during resolution, to whatever degree - the point is that Exploration as such can be deferred, rather than established at every point during play in a linear fashion.

*More generally, Exploration overall is negotiated in a casual fashion through ongoing dialogue, using system for input (which may be constraining), rather than explicitly delivered by system per se.

*Reward systems that reflect player choices (strategy, aesthetics, whatever) rather than on in-game character logic or on conformity to a pre-stated plan of play.

All of these involve separating ingame cause and effect from mechanical resolution. In adopting author stance, the player makes a decision first as a player, then retroactively imputes the relevant desires/inclinations to his/her PC; FitM and negotiating exploration through ongoing dialogue (what I've been calling "free roleplaying") uses the system to set constraints (=parameters) but then settles the details of ingame causation via conversation rather than via mechanics (and shared genre understandings can be pretty important for this to work); and reward systems, on this approach likewise decoupled.

Which is reminisicent of another respect in which Gygax's DMG decouples cause-and-effect from the mechanics - PCs gain levels by collecting gold, but this is not because, in the gameworld, gold makes you tougher. It's a metagame, and the ingame cause of getting tougher is (i) the stuff the PC did to earn the gold, plus (ii) a whole lot of offscreen stuff which is assumed to be taking place although ever talks about it because doing so would be "conducive to nongame boredom".

TL;DR - a long treatise on why dropping simulationist action resolution mechanics need not have the consequence - be it direct or indirect - of breaking cause and effect in the fiction.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
This whole exchange started because I said that timelines aren't a good solution to the 15-min day for all scenarios and all playstyles. And I gave my own playstyle - "no failure offscreen" - as an example.
I'd actually posit that this is true only to a degree; that is, "timelines" or "time pressure" can still come into play while also sticking to a "no failure off-screen" style of play.

For example, if your party is struggling with the 15 minute work day (15 MWD), then killing the princess off-screen certainly goes against your policy. However, sending minions to deal with the party does not, and it certainly whittles down their resources (takes up HP/healing surges, prevents rest).

While this solution cannot be applied universally (as no solution can), it certainly brings even more action to the screen. The same is true for beefing up security for when they finally arrive, bringing a second "boss" in for them to deal with once they get there, or any other similar solution you can think of that deals with them being delayed.

This meets your "no failure off-screen" goal while also putting time pressure on the players, since they know that the longer they take, the more things might go against them. For example, the BBEG might slip away and be replaced by a trusted lieutenant. If the goal was to rescue the princess and not to confront the BBEG, they'd have missed out on the opportunity to do both, but will still attempt their required goal of "rescue the princess" on-screen.

This can seem a bit heavy-handed, but based on your play reports and you personally advocating pressuring players in skill challenges (via LostSoul's advice? I'm not sure), I think you could accept this. That is, you seem to dislike the idea of letting the most socially adept PC handle social situations alone most of the time, and thus seek to find ways to challenge the entire party. Kas doesn't just talk to one PC, he challenges them all socially. If you have no problem engaging all of the players in these situations, I think that challenging them all on-screen because of delays should be seen as no huge hurdle, either.

I think that time pressure can definitely be applied while still attaining the goal of "no failure off-screen" as you seem to have strongly advocated for in this thread, and definitely in the statement I've quoted. (To be fair, you did use the word "timeline", perhaps with the sole implication of "she dies after X days", but I'd also suggest that you can always frame the issue initially as "reinforcements arrive after X days", and she might die eventually. If the party stops trying to rescue her, she dies off-screen, like you've said you'd do anyways.)

Anyways, just my thoughts on this statement. I'm late to the conversation, but I don't think that "timelines" or "time pressure" in any way contradicts or cancels out your preferred play style. You just have to have the correct presentation, and have a somewhat heavy-handed approach to giving PCs information. That is, the PCs find out that "reinforcements are coming" or "that the princess will be sacrificed once the ritual is able to be performed" but with no real specifics. It's not my personal preference, but it retains a sense of time pressure or timeline, while also letting all failures occur on-screen.

If I'm missing something, though, let me know. As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
For example, if your party is struggling with the 15 minute work day (15 MWD), then killing the princess off-screen certainly goes against your policy. However, sending minions to deal with the party does not, and it certainly whittles down their resources (takes up HP/healing surges, prevents rest).
I think I gave this as an examle upthread (or maybe in the other thread that is discussing this point at the moment?).

So yes, I agree.

I think a "no failure offscreen" approach also depends on clear metagame signals between players and GM as to what counts as failure. In a game like Burning Wheel, with its belief mechancis, these signals are sent explicitly - if the players all change their PCs' beliefs, such that none of them cares anymore about the princess, then it's time to kill the princess offscreen, because that is no longer a failure.

In a game like 4e, which does not have this sort of mechanic - only much looser mechanical devices for signalling broad orientations/affiliations, like god worshipped, paragon paths, etc - then the signals will often be sent more loosely. But if the players, in playing the game, show no particular inclination to hurry up and rescue the princess, then I would take that as a signal that they don't care about her anymore, and hence that having her die offscreen would not be a failure.

The connection of this point to the minions is that I might use the minions once or twice if play seems to have bogged down simply due to disorganisation/incompetence on the part of those at the table - this is the Raymond Chandler approach to reviving a flagging narrative - but wouldn't use them to try to push the players into caring about something that they have clearly signalled a lack of interest in.

This can seem a bit heavy-handed

<snip>

You just have to have the correct presentation, and have a somewhat heavy-handed approach to giving PCs information.
This, I think, relates to the point about "metagame signals". The sort of game I like depends heavily upon them, whether explicit or implicit, and whether merely metagame (I as the GM say to the players, "Hey, can we stop the faffing about - what's your plan to rescue the prisoners, or have you given up on them?") or occuring ingame but having obvious metagame importance also (which would include your examples of giving the PCs information - because more important than the information given to the PCs, is the metagame prompt provided to the players).

That is, you seem to dislike the idea of letting the most socially adept PC handle social situations alone most of the time
Yes - and your other descriptions of my approach are all accurate too.

A final comment on the minions, resource sucking, and various techniques for dealing with the 15-minute day - different action resolution systems can be affected differently by a depletion in resources. So a fight involving injured PCs, in Rolemaster, can be more dramatic than one in which the PCs are uninjured - because injury is generally expressed as a numerical penalty, which lowers bonuses, and lower bonuses can produce longer combats (and in RM this isn't necessarily a bad thing, because RM is prone to combats that end in a round or two as someone or other is "critted out") and/or more dramatic choices (melee combat bonus in RM must be allocated, round-by-round, between attack and defence, and the less there is to allocate the greater the incentive to attack all out - which is dramatic - or to defend strongly until one's friends are able to help - which is less dramatic in the immediate instance, but can be the entree to dramatic rescues).

Another feature of RM is that magic use is on a spell point system, so even low spell point PCs can still perform their "signature moves", although perhaps only once or twice before running out of points. So a fight involving PCs who have suffered spell point attrition in earlier encounters isn't necessarily going to suffer in "showiness" because of that.

4e has a different dynamic.

In 4e, a fight is most reliably dramatic when the PCs are at full resources - because full resources is not just "bigger numbers" but a wider breadth of options (via the power system) - provided that the opposition is suitably powerful to soak those resources and still provide a challenge. (This is a refined version of the approach to 3E/PF encounter design using EL+3/4 challenges against which the party is expected to nova.)

A full-resource party against weak opponents is generally tedious in 4e (of course there can always be exceptions) because the combat will still take a while to resolve (due to the damage to hit point ratios), and resources are unlikely to be soaked - encounter powers will come back, and with surgeless healing, or encounter-power-based buffs on surged healing, no signficant damage soaking will take place.

A resource-weak party against weak to moderate opponents, on the other hand, can produce surpising results - it doesn't come up very often in my game, although may do so in my next session depending how a few things pan out, but the last time it happened we ended up with the sorcerer taking the front line to protect the threatened defenders. This can be dramatic, although also slightly comic.

And a resource-stretched party against strong opponents - which comes up most often when you run encounter in waves, minions preceding bosses, so that the PCs aren't just swamped by the opposition, but they don't get a short rest in between bouts - is perhaps the most dramatic version of the reliably dramatic encounter - all the party's resources will be deployed, surges will be spent, etc - but also perhaps the most likely to push towards TPK (again, I'm going to be exploring this space a bit in my next session, I think).

Anyway, the point of that long recounting of encounter structures in different systems is just to illustrate how system can shape the way a minion encounter can be expected to play out, and whether it will be dramatic or tedious (and so worth doing, all things considered), and can also shape the effect that resource attrition has on the drama of subsequent encounters. It's not a defence, or a criticism, of either RM or 4e - just continuing to make the point that playstyle, system, use of time in the game, etc, are all intricately related - so there is no "one size fits all", system and playstyle independent "fix" for the 15 MAD.

Remove ads