Leif's "Hold of the Sea Princes" Greyhawk Alpha Game [AD&D 1E] [IC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
Leaving Redding Flat Looking for Adventure

The hardy adventurers head out of town towards the river. About a mile and a half away, you find it, and turn in the direction indicated by the townsfolk. The river threads its way between two rows of hills, and you are moving upstream on the right-hand (east) bank, travelling generally west-northwest. After a bit, you come to an area beneath some large trees where you see the remains of a campfire.

Imperialus

Explorer
The hardy adventurers head out of town towards the river. About a mile and a half away, you find it, and turn in the direction indicated by the townsfolk. The river threads its way between two rows of hills, and you are moving upstream on the right-hand (east) bank, travelling generally west-northwest. After a bit, you come to an area beneath some large trees where you see the remains of a campfire.

In his element again Cam pokes through the ashes of the fire and polices the area, trying to determine what sort of creatures were camping here, their numbers and how long it has been since they moved on.

OOC: If it's been more than 24 hours since the camp was abandoned it might come down to the size of the party. I've got a base chance of 90% modified by -10 for every 24 hours and +2 for every creature above 1.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Campsite

The campfire is small, and built in a hollowed out depression in the earth, in a fashion to produce the most heat for a given amount of fuel, much like an oven. There is a litter of small bones all around the fire that seem to be from birds. There are also some larger bones from a good-sized mammal of some kind. Any hides and/or feathers have been burned beyond recognition.

Camlin also notices several "chewing sticks" of wood lying about. They show heavy use by a creature with quite large teeth. Cam is familiar with the tendency of orcs to use these sticks, and the teeth marks are consistent with the use of the sticks by orcs. Plus, the sticks are all of walnut, which is a known favorite of orcs. All of the creatures seem to have arrived more or less together from the west, and the tracks show that they all more or less left together, heading to the west-northwest, which, incidentally is both the most natural route through the area and the direction in which the party has been travelling. Numbers are harder to judge, given the chaotic jumble of tracks and other sign left behind. Cam estimates that there were at least six and perhaps as many as a dozen orcs here about 15-20 hours ago.

OOC: I'm not terribly worried about your roll, Imperialus. Failure here would screw up the story, you see. ;)

Last edited:

Imperialus

Explorer
Cam nods and stands up rubbing the dust from his face. yep, probably round a dozen or so. Looks like they're going the same direction as us so we may as well continue on. Stay about twenty paces behind me though, I'll try to give you some warning if we're ambushed.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
"A dozen orcs?" Shiyana says. The surprise and concern in her voice is evident to all. Collecting herself, the half-elf druidess adds, "The Balance shall keep us and see our mission fulfilled. I have no doubt."

"Seems our quest now involves more than just a few raiding ogres. Pholtus protect us." Odo adds. "Lead on, friend Camlin."

"Does anyone else want to try on this red stone ring?" Shiyana asks. "The blue one feels...comfortable and I am fairly certain it is enchanted. Though I am sorry I have no way of knowing what it might do." [OOC: Shiyana's still wearing the blue one, unless there are any objections.]

Leif

Adventurer
The Cave

Another moment, and the adventurers see a cave opening ahead, with three orc archers standing guard just within he shadows of the opening.

Attachments

• A-Ogre Dungeon - approach to the cave.xls
    28.5 KB · Views: 69

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Shiyana pulls out her sling and quietly suggests that Camlin and Turthain and she attempt to take out the archers from their current position.

Rhun

First Post
Turthain moves into concealment, hopeful that the orcs haven't yet spotted him. He quickly nocks arrow and draws, ready to fire upon the enemy.

Remove ads