Broken NDAs or Elaborate Trolls?

How much "some people" dislike the gamey and dissociated stuff from 4E. Plenty of people like that stuff just fine.

Plenty do, that is true. I didn't intend to imply otherwise, so I appologize if it came across that way. My honest assesment is it is about fifty-fifty (give or take ten percent in either direction). The point is, if this is the edition that is supposed to win back people who didn't like 4e, these leaks indicate they may not understand the people they are tyying to appeal to.

underfoot007ct

First Post
There's good compromise and bad compromise. The problem is bad compromise that pleases no one is much, much easier to come by than good compromise.

I'm hopeful - I /want/ to like 5e. I'm also a bit cynical about the process, though. :/

EDIT: By which I mean to say, 5e is really going to have to hit it out of the park to convince the guy who likes 4e and the guy who likes 3.x to switch from their systems of choice, let alone to play at the same table. I want that to happen, but I am really skeptical that it actually will.

I think that I agree, If you mean that the compromises MUST be done very carefully. I think 5E-Next MUST be a blend of all the previous editions, hopeful taking the BEST parts of each. Thus is the largest problem to over come, which parts are truly the best.

Dannager

First Post
You would be wrong. If anything 3E crits happen more often because of the ubiquitous longswords and dagger having a threat range of 19-20.

But less, because of iterative attacks that drop attack bonuses significantly below expected defenses!

We can do this all day.

You have pegged the frequency wrong and you are also completely wrong about the reliability. In the approach you advocate it truly is a reliable 5%. In the approach I advocate there are a great number of variables that can change the expected rate from session to session.

No, in the approach I advocate, it is an average of 5%.

In the approach you advocate, it is an average of something probably between 2.5% and 3.5%. Yes, the rate changes from session to session. It is a random roll (or set of rolls), after all. But it averages out, as all things do.

And they know narrative elements of the characters they build and the threats they face have a direct influence on the corresponding number. You can't draw an equivalence between a 20 is a 20 is a 20 and and valid ranges built based on a narrative driven logic.

Similarly, the characters they build and the threats they face have a direct influence on the corresponding number. A character with a high crit weapon and extended critical range will experience more crits, and more powerful crits. A monster with a tremendous AC might suffer a natural 20 at the hands of the party Wizard's opportunity attack, but still only take damage from a normal hit due to the Wizard's inability to reach the monster's actual AC with his bonus to attack.

Their AC ONLY comes into play IF that only hit on a 20 is a factor. For the system I like it comes into play for every instance.

Their AC comes into play in every instance in 4e. It just turns out that, when you roll a 20 on the die, you usually hit their AC anyway. Offering up a critical hit on a natural 20 rewards both that random element and the ability of the character to make good on the attack. Everything you could want out of a critical hit, except maybe the not-being-a-part-of-4e bit.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
You guys do realize that it's a. Unconfirmed and b. pre beta right? If all of this things are true that WotC probably just checking ideas before the open play testing begin.

Warder

BryonD

Hero
But less, because of iterative attacks that drop attack bonuses significantly below expected defenses!

We can do this all day.
wow, you are really reaching now.
And actually, you would still remain wrong.
The 20s still autohit and even at -5 there is a still a large range of hit for a typical encounter. Even when you start throwing in the -10 you have reached a point where keen weapons and improved crit, etc are actually increasing the overall frequency faster than those trailing attacks are bringing it down.

No, in the approach I advocate, it is an average of 5%.

In the approach you advocate, it is an average of something probably between 2.5% and 3.5%. Yes, the rate changes from session to session. It is a random roll (or set of rolls), after all. But it averages out, as all things do.
Again, for a 19-20 threat that is a 10% threat. A typical attack has at least a 50% chance so the odds are NORTH of 5%. You are simply mathematically wrong.

Similarly, the characters they build and the threats they face have a direct influence on the corresponding number. A character with a high crit weapon and extended critical range will experience more crits, and more powerful crits. A monster with a tremendous AC might suffer a natural 20 at the hands of the party Wizard's opportunity attack, but still only take damage from a normal hit due to the Wizard's inability to reach the monster's actual AC with his bonus to attack.
Again the fact that corner cases make the 4E system a little less like the system I dislike and a little more like the system I do like is a good thing.

Their AC comes into play in every instance in 4e. It just turns out that, when you roll a 20 on the die, you usually hit their AC anyway. Offering up a critical hit on a natural 20 rewards both that random element and the ability of the character to make good on the attack. Everything you could want out of a critical hit, except maybe the not-being-a-part-of-4e bit.
You have completely changed the point here.
And the "except not-being-4E" thing is an irrelevant cheap shot and wrong to boot.
To be clear, that I dislike that system is on the list of things that cause me to dislike 4E. The fact that you are going back to the old "the reason you don't like it because you are closed minded to 4E" thing is telling.

Now, just to review. I said their AC doesn't matter because a 20 is a 20.
You replied that their AC does matter because if they only hit on a 20 then it is not a crit. I replied that this isn't significant because the math works. You have now replied that it still is significant "in every instance" and yet you concede that 20 "usually" would be a hit anyway. (For sake of argument I'll ignore that, for 4E, "usually" is more accurately "always for tactically meaningful encounters".)

We are talking about crits. For cases in which a 20 isn't required to hit a 20 is a crit. When a 20 is a crit, AC is irrelevant. So, which is it? For crits is AC significant "in every instance" or is it irrelevant in "most" cases?

There are plenty of things I want out of a critical hit system and 4E doesn't offer them.

BryonD

Hero
You guys do realize that it's a. Unconfirmed and b. pre beta right? If all of this things are true that WotC probably just checking ideas before the open play testing begin.

Warder
Absolutely. I remain HIGHLY anxious to see the final product and fully anticipate it will be better than what was described here.

Whether it will be better than what I have now remains to be seen and is a very high bar to reach.

But I'm hopeful.
Either way, I can't lose.

BryonD

Hero
Oh, cool! So crits happen less frequently in 4e.
You are the one that made a big deal out of relative frequency of sone system vs. the other.
All I said was that it was predictably and reliably 5% in 4E because a 20 is a 20.
For some reason you felt the need to incorrectly state:
I'm certain that those things reliably happen roughly 2.5% of the time at your table, perhaps as high as 3%!

But it seems we have that cleared up now.

Thanks

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Rests and *food*

Sounds fun, though I don't know that you'd want them to have to do even a small skill challenge *every* time they want to take a rest, but it's nice to make them at least give it a little thought now and then.
Maybe it could be implement at the ressource management level? "Ok, so you guys are taking a 1 hour rest and get back [whatever it turns out to be]. Do you want to eat (and get back YYY), start a fire (+ZZZ), etc?" Advantages gained don't neceseraly have to be HPs, of course, and could be balanced by added chances to attract monster attention. So, the choices become not only when and where you take rests, but do you eat cold bread and huddle together for warmth in the middle of the goblin wilderness, or do you risk attracting unwanted attention with a fire, the smell of cooking food and/or people traipsing about to get firewood/herbs/hunt/etc if you don't have packed goods? Would really bring the "utility" skills back into sharper focus.

Ok, I wanted to talk about that first one (the one trevor says is fake) and the other thread got closed before I could.

I like the Haste he describes. I think it would make a great leader mechanic. Give up a move to give a move (like 4e's knights move), give up an attack to grant an attack (like commander strike). It is an encounter long buff that doesn't break the game.

I like the Magic missle he describes. At will auto hit 1d4 damage, up grade at 5 and 10 for levels. with scaleing number of missles or dice of damage, caster choice.

I think that as much as some of it sounded bad, that part sounded perfect.

the second one, I am on the fense for most of it, but I like where they are going with the resting (but I think it could be tuned up a little).

I would love to see types of rest, and 10 min regain level in hp sounds good, 1 hour reprep some powers and regain bloodied value sounds great. I just want to add a action point refresh into those, and it would be perfect.

Imagin a Barbarian class like 3e, but with 2 rages per day. Each 10 min rest recharges 1 rage (doesn't give a third if you didn't use it yet). Give them durations like 3e (not whole encounter like 4e) and give them diffrent effects like 4e. At first level you have rage + 2 to hit +5 to damage and Resist 5 weapon damage. Then at 4th level you can chose from 4 diffrent rages to have, like Silver phoniex, or Tiger's, and they modfy the rages like 4e's dailys.

I would also like to see class features modfy the rest. Like the Bard song in 4e that gives extra healing during short rests.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases