• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Recommend a Call of Cthulhu One-Shot

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
So I've agreed to run a Call of Cthulhu one-shot for a bunch of my friends next weekend. I've played a little, but this is my first time running, and I'm curious to hear recommendations for scenarios. I have the most recent edition of the rules that contains several in the back, and I'm open to purchasing something more (probably .pdf).

Thanks!

Edit: Would a mod mind fixing my poor typing in the title? "Recommend a Call of Cthulhu One-Shot"

Last edited by a moderator:

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't have the most recent edition, so I don't know what's in it (they don't really change the rules, just the extras like scenarios), but maybe Dead Man Stomp?

It was originally in the CoC GM Screen pack, but I think was included in later rulebooks because it's a pretty good intro scenario

prosfilaes

Adventurer
It may not be really helpful, but The Dying of St Margaret's was an adventure for Trail of Cthulhu, and it was pretty awesome. It's in the Purist style, and even if converted to Call of Cthulhu, may not feel right, but it was still awesome.

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Well, there’s a metric ton of phenomenal supplements and one-shots out there.
And a lot is dependent on the setting you and your players prefer.

For a first adventure, I would defintely recommend “The Haunting” from the Core Book. You really can’t go wrong with that. Beyond that?

I would recommend going to the Chaosium website, or one of the RPG download sites, and looking up the monograph lines.

Some of the ones that stand out in my mind offhand? Most of these should still be readily available to be purchased online.

1)“Adventus Regis”. Set in the Roman empire, players play vacationing noblemen drawn into the web of the Mythis. (This comes with pregens [which is a big plus, in my mind], and is the first part of the “Ripples from Carcosa” trilogy. (This monopgraph is readily available online.

2)Grace Under Pressure- A modern-day scenario set aboard an undersea submersible. Great module, very dependent on the Keeper to portray the mood of claustrophobia effectively.

3)Ravenar Sagas”- A bit more”hack-y” than standard scenarios, the players play the Viking crew of a longboat.

4)Any of the Halloween monographs (there are four or five at this point) are worth checking out, and each had a handful of “Halloween-themed” one-shots.

5)Machine Tractor Station Kharkov 37- Set in 30’s era-Russia, another great scenario, this one depending on the players to portray characters with differening agendas.

6)Madness at miskatonic- Not a “one-shot”, but a 4-episode mini-campaing set in the Jazz age, where the players play students at Misatonic U. This was a free online upload by the author, and should be findable pretty easily through any search engine, I would think.

Hope that helps.
Feel free to PM if you have more specific questions or need more input.

Will Doyle

Explorer
We had so much fun with "Grace Under Pressure".

Whenever one of my players went out in a pressure suit, or a bunch of them went out in the Joey, I'd have them go upstairs and Skype my laptop from a darkened room. The rest of the players could just see their faces, lit up by the screen glow. It was amazing. To tell them what they were seeing, I typed them secret messages over Skype :)

Remove ads