Proposal: Treasure Pool

GlassEye

Adventurer
This is sort of a half-thought out idea that I've been toying with as I prepared the next phase of the adventure I'm running here but I figured I'd go ahead and post it and see what you all think of it.

For me, the most tedious part of preparing an adventure for DMing is detailing out every gold piece of gear that NPCs have in their possession. And it is a wee bit frustrating to put all that work into allocating NPC resources only to have players say 'Nothing there I want; we sell it all so I can buy this other nice, new shiny,' once the NPC/monster has been defeated.

Likewise, I find it rather tedious to try to decide what minor bits of gear my characters carry around.

Proposal: Allow DMs to make use of a 'Treasure Pool', an allotment of gold that the NPC can use to 'spend' on equipment should it be needed during the course of their encounters with the PCs. Major items would still need to be detailed but minor items could be drawn from the pool. For example, NPC A has been fighting with PCs but manages to get a brief respite from combat. Spending 50 gold from his pool A reaches into his pouch and withdraws a potion of CLW and drinks it.

I can already hear the outcry, 'But that's not fair if the NPC always has exactly what he needs when he needs it!' but the reverse is also true. Once the PCs defeat A, they get his treasure pool added to their own. Later if they come to a cliff they have to climb but haven't detailed carrying rope on their character sheet, they could spend some of their treasure pool with the explanation that A had some rope.

Obviously this would have ramifications for encumbrance and magics such as bags of holding, etc. that we would have to figure out but I think this would make my life as a DM much easier. I want to hear what you all think of the idea and if something like this or something similar would be feasible for LPF.

jkason

First Post
I definitely understand the annoyance of having to stat up minutiae for an equipment list, though I'm also wary of the undefined bag o' tricks, especially if that translates to PCs carrying multiples of them around. Possible limits that assuage some of my fears:

* Pre-allocate GP for specific uses (healing, save buffs, and utility equipment come to mind). I'm not as married to this one, though it would be nice from some perspective to have a kind of generic gauge of what might be in that dark bag of tricks.

* No treasure pool stacking. Here's a big one, as I could easily see PCs, after several encounters, saying "we have X in treasure pools, and use it to pull out Y high-priced magic item." Applying the Pearl's magic item availability limits might likewise solve that problem, I suppose, though I still think you shouldn't be able to stack multiple NPC's 'petty cash' to get yourself a spontaneous big-ticket item in the field.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I agree that setting limits would be key to making this work.

* Pre-allocate GP for specific uses (healing, save buffs, and utility equipment come to mind). I'm not as married to this one, though it would be nice from some perspective to have a kind of generic gauge of what might be in that dark bag of tricks.

Good idea. Even if it adds a bit more bookkeeping it would still be less than detailing out every item NPCs carry around. Maybe the divisions on the NPC Gear table would be a good place to look for categories of uses.

jkason said:
* No treasure pool stacking. Here's a big one, as I could easily see PCs, after several encounters, saying "we have X in treasure pools, and use it to pull out Y high-priced magic item." Applying the Pearl's magic item availability limits might likewise solve that problem, I suppose, though I still think you shouldn't be able to stack multiple NPC's 'petty cash' to get yourself a spontaneous big-ticket item in the field.

With limits on what the pool could be used for I don't think this would be a problem. As I said above, major items would still need to be detailed out with the NPC. IMO permanent magic items are 'major items'. Making the availability check (for both NPC and PC) a requirement alleviates some potential for abuse. The question on where the line should be drawn would need to be discussed. Could one use the pool for alchemical items? potions? wands with few charges?

IronWolf

blank
I think a treasure pool could work out fine. I like things that streamline things for GMs as it makes committing to run an adventure easier.

I really don't have much issue with GlassEye's initial proposal, but if folks want to see it refined to a system of bundles, that could work as well.

I don't see an issue of stacking for in the field upgrades simply because as stated the treasure pool would not include permanent magic items by definition.

I think it would be most useful for "why, yes, I do have a rope/lantern/piton", etc. I have actually been meaning to write up some equipment bundles for release on my blog as I tend to get bored buying all the mundane equipment and would rather choose a bundle that covers most of what I need.

Satin Knights

First Post
I would much rather create a wiki page of adventuring pack bundles for different wealth levels and then have the GM just select three A's and a C.

Your rope, grappling hook, tent and rations are the heaviest items that everyone "forgets" to carry, but then always wants to have when they are needed. Everyone is always careful to buy until they are within two pounds of their light load max, leaving no wiggle room for actually carrying loot home without being encumbered.

And I see a lot of character creations of weapon, armor, backpack, class item. No dagger to cut up dinner with, no rope, rations, drinking mug, etc. I nag most of the characters into buying a bit more during the approval process, but many are still lacking a bit.

Then we have Bloodcove as an example. 3 adventurers go out without any healing backup, get hurt, and the GM plops 9 healing potions on them because they were unprepared. There are times where you should fall back and rest. I don't think anyone has noticed that the ranger got his night of sleep and didn't prepare any spells yet. A half day out from a fortified camp, they should backtrack to heal.

In the Crypt, for want of an Alchemist's Fire, Kalgor sacrifice a cloak, small tent, winter blanket, two fluffy pillows, 50' of rope, two pints of oil, and a couple tindertwigs. And that only got half of the bat swarm. We still had to wave torches at them until we singed enough wings to drive them away.

Creative solutions with what you have is more interesting then always having all the default tools.

GlassEye

Adventurer
There hasn't been much discussion on this lately so I think its time to lay this to rest one way or the other.

In light of recent discussions I've come to realize that this would be too drastic a change for LPF and leave things too wide open. Those items, when unwanted by characters, are used to stock the Mystic Pearl expanding the availability of magic items. It's a part of the process that if eliminated would cause a slew of other problems in those issues related to it.

My vote: NO

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases