Which class do you hate the most?

What is your LEAST favorite class from across the editions?

• Assassin

Votes: 34 13.0%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Bard

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • Cleric

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Druid

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Fighter

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Illusionist

Votes: 19 7.3%
  • Monk

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • Psion/psionicist

Votes: 73 27.9%
  • Ranger

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rogue/thief

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Warlock

Votes: 18 6.9%
  • Warlord

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Wizard/magic-user

Votes: 10 3.8%

Mercule

Adventurer
After dissing the barbarian, I realized that one of my favorite characters, ever -- and one that still gets referenced fondly by others from the group -- was a 2e berserker, from the Viking handbook. In fairness, he did have a 4 int and 5 wisdom, which was played up a lot and fueled by 36 hours of sleep deprivation at creation and a 12 hour marathon session that made stepping back into the stupid easy enough. It also involved getting the "bear form" and making time with the (prudish) ranger's animal companion.

None of that necessarily justifies a barbarian class, though.

Mercule

Adventurer
I don't think we disagree in reason. The ranger is a guardian who used weapons as one of his main methods. Rangers don't just protect civilization from the fringe and wilds, the protect nature from the urban corruption. Archery is okay as a good ranger would be close to roaming wolf packs and bandits and they might want some distance before engaging. Two weapon fighting is a stretch but a ranger would want something in the off hand. But TWF is a stretch. Throwing axe maybe more sense.
I think I can live with all of the above. Also, there's a difference between using guerrilla tactics/anything that works and being the poster boy for a main gauche.

D&D is a game that makes use of fantasy archetypes, and the ones I don't like are the ones that aren't a clear fantasy archetype. Prion heads the list (sci fi not fantasy) , and I'm still not happy with Warlord and Warlock because of thier names mostly (I'd prefer Noble and Witch respectively). Monk I can live with, but I prefer to represent them more as flagellant monastics with massive constitutions rather than eastern mystics.

WarlockLord

First Post
I voted fighter. Low-level concept? Check. Poor execution? Check. Fanboys insistent that because they want to play an underpowered class, everyone else must suck? Check.

Oni

First Post
I've never really understood how a class devoted to mental powers and mind over matter (both internally and externally) wasn't suitable for fantasy. Clearly a lot of people feel that it isn't, but I kind of have a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

Dausuul

Legend
My least favorite is the psionicist/psion, but honestly I don't think I really hate anything on this list. Classes seldom get hate from me. My hate is largely reserved for races--warforged and kender come to mind.

Stormonu

Legend
I picked cleric, since they are a weird mix of historical knights and magic that had no literary/film roots. They are a game mechanic creation that I can't stand.

Uh, what about Archbishop Turpin from the Song of Roland? And Moses?

---------------------

I chose Psion. I've always felt that class belonged in sci-fi, not D&D.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Voted for Psion as least liked, I finally bit the bullet this campaign and dropped psionics entirely; I gave up after trying several times to redesign it from the ground up.

Barbarian should be a race, not a class. (give or take, that's the 437th time I've typed that in an EnWorld thread) That'd get my second-place vote.

Over on the WotC poll, I confess to extreme disappointment: why aren't my beloved Illusionists getting any votes?! :(

And back here I'm quite shocked to see posts decrying the stalwart Fighter. Every army needs its foot soldiers.

Lan-"10th-level foot soldier"-efan

Remove ads