Remembering Gary

Gaming Tonic

First Post
Gary's vision guided my childhood. It kept me out of getting into more trouble. My interest in reading and problem solving were flamed by his creations. Thank you Gary, you are missed.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
I got to know more about Gary Gygax in the last decade of his life than any time in my early days of playing D&D ("blue dragon" edition) -- mostly because we gained a community on the web, and over here at EN World he dropped by to visit :)

Thank you, Gary.

I know I've told this story before, but it is always that little reminder of how, even at the end Gary loved gaming and gamers.
My son earned his Eagle Scout award and one of the traditions is to get former Eagle Scouts to write letters of congratulations. My son didn't want any part of this as the wishes were usually stock letters and meant nothing to the writer. And even further from the norm my son requested a day of gaming following his ceremony with card games, board games, wargames and RPGs all making the rounds.

Knowing this, I contacted Gary and asked if he would send one anyway (he was not an Eagle Scout but someone my son respected due to his love of gaming) and of course he said yes, he would be glad to. He sent a very short note, but it was personally typed (he wasn't sure he could write it and get it there on time so he sent it electronically) and was full of personal gratitude for his project (restoring a bike trail) due to his love of biking as a lad. He then tacked on a little post scipt to find him at GenCon the next year so he could at least sign it in person.

When the letter was read, my son was nearly in tears and most of his gamer friends begged me to tell them how I knew Gary (from EN World of course). That was December of 2007...

Yes, it was never signed. I still have the original electronic copy saved in my email and my son put his copy in a frame. He has been approached several times to have it signed by Gail or Ernie or Luke, but he has declined. He says, "He made a promise to sign it himself, and I wouldn't want it any other way."

Gary, you were a class act. Because of you my family (wife and two kids) have had a love of gaming that has held us through all of the crap that life throws at you. And fittingly, now that our son is in college we all meet at GenCon every year for our family vacation. It's one of the few times we get to see our son now that he's gone away. So thanks Gary, I appreciate you every single day.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases