The Walking Dead 2.11 - Judge, Jury, Executioner (spoilers)

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Better off finding an already fortified location with a good water supply and shoring up its defences.

Yes, if only there were such a site available not too far from the farm, with high walls and guard towers and such. I wonder if such a place might be in the near future?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's...not really that hard to train children to do. I've got two of my own. Not going off on their own was one of the first things they learned.

And I'm sure Carl was trained for such too.

But he just saw the only other child he knew of in the world, his only peer and friend, as a zombie, shot in the head by his own father! Carl is *broken*, and broken people are not good at following training, or orders.

He pretty clearly has some confusion right now about what life and death mean, and he won't treat his own life, or the lives of others, properly until he works that out.

Recall the scene in which they're all in the house, discussing and voting on what's to be done with the prisoner. Carl walked in. Did anyone catch his coloration? I was struck by it so much I rewound and looked again - where everyone else is in color, they had a trick of the lighting, such that Carl was in a flat, lifeless (need I say - zombie-like) grey.

And who would build this wall and with what equipment?

Agreed. They have, what, a dozen people? They have how much food and fuel laid up for winter? And folks want them to be building walls? Really?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, well, if you go back to Lascaux, you also have the fact that kids his age had parents who had been living in that situation, and their parents before them, and so on.

In apocalyptic scenarios, one of the major points of exploration is that the adults don't have the knowledge themselves, much less the ability to properly train children for the scenario. They can't teach Carl survival skills they don't know!

We're not talking foraging, hunting, and camouflage. We're talking "don't run off into the woods by yourself." That's...not really that hard to train children to do. I've got two of my own. Not going off on their own was one of the first things they learned.

Just hand him over the Darryl. In a month he'll either know what he's doing, or he'll be dead.

Mercutio01 & Remus Lupin basically have it- the simple, common sense stuff seems to have escaped the core family...and Darryl really is the repository of the wisdom the group needs.

But there's also the element of a gun owner, trained police officer & leader of the group who also seemingly hasn't taught his son much about guns or not touching other people's stuff.

I mean, I get it- he's a kid, and kids do dumb stuff (even smart, well-taught kids)- but the group is aware enough of their situation that they post 24 hour watches but they still let him wander off? After just losing a kid in the worst possible way?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
You don't need a wall, you just need pits. Get a tractor with a back hoe, some can be great zombie killing machines.

some of my thoughts on a ZA...

Okay, books, how to stuff...this becomes important.

Seeds - roof top gardens, safe place to grow stuff, just fill with soil. Use ladders and zip lines. You could get a couple of years out of them, maybe more with some work.

Still say, I would have water to my back with a boat escape route, river, lake or ocean would be a greater range for foraging. Also, House boats.

would also be running test on walkers, would like to know things like how ammonia effects their ability to smell. Can sound be used to draw them away.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
There's dumb and then there's just plain idiotic. Many of the things this group does falls into the latter category. There are things that people just simply wouldn't do in a ZA. At least not people who would survive longer than a day or two. All the reasons given for why they make such mistakes are also reasons why they wouldn't. The more of these just plain idiotic mistakes that they make without repercussions, the less believable I find the series to be.

Which is why Dale dying was a good thing. He did something beyond stupid and paid for it. Now if only they'd kill of that retarded little snot kid.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I mean, I get it- he's a kid, and kids do dumb stuff (even smart, well-taught kids)- but the group is aware enough of their situation that they post 24 hour watches but they still let him wander off? After just losing a kid in the worst possible way?

Yep. Because:

1) I reiterate, there's only a dozen of them - "full time babysitter" is not an available job description yet.

2) Carl has made a habit of sticking his nose where adults don't want it, but that's always been within the camp. Is my recollection correct that this was the first episode where he actually wandered off on his own out of the camp? And this time, he didn't get caught, right? So what is making anyone believe that he needs a leash? Beware applying viewer-logic. As far as everyone knows, Carl stays within safe bounds. *We* know he didn't, but they don't yet.

Seeds - roof top gardens, safe place to grow stuff, just fill with soil.

Two problems with that:

1) Most rooftops are not built to carry much more than snowload, and dirt is heavier than snow. Without putting in proper drainage, you're asking for roof collapse and/or root rot on your plants.

2) "Just fill with soil" sounds good, until you remember that someone's got to actually fill it with soil. Dirt is heavy! Water is heavy. Both need to get to that rooftop, carried up from the ground, probably by hand. Good luck with that.

Roof gardens would be long term projects, not something for the first couple months after the fall of humanity.

Mercutio01

First Post
Yep. Because:

1) I reiterate, there's only a dozen of them - "full time babysitter" is not an available job description yet.

2) Carl has made a habit of sticking his nose where adults don't want it, but that's always been within the camp. Is my recollection correct that this was the first episode where he actually wandered off on his own out of the camp? And this time, he didn't get caught, right? So what is making anyone believe that he needs a leash? Beware applying viewer-logic. As far as everyone knows, Carl stays within safe bounds. *We* know he didn't, but they don't yet.
Well, yes, but he's just recovered from being shot and nearly dead. He shouldn't be wandering anywhere. It is not the first time he's gone missing or without supervision, though.

But, rather than blaming Carl (who is a kid after all), his parents don't seem to be doing a very good job.

Also, I forgot he showed up limping and muddy and out of breath, and his mother didn't think to question any of those things at all.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So what is making anyone believe that he needs a leash?

I'm not a parent...but I know many.

And many of them don't let their kids play outside unsupervised because of real but rare threats of serial killers, pedophiles & gang members.

His dad is a sherriff who- along with everyone else- is aware of the real and relatively common threat of Walkers all around. And Carl wanders off without so much as a...well..."Don't wander off" speech.

I mean, that's like going to a wild animal park and just letting him get out of the car and meander off.

This isn't viewer logic, this is Parenting 101.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I grew up with close to nil supervision. I was left to my own devices ever since I could remember and never even bothered to tell my parents where I was going or what I was doing. I also did a lot of travelling and camping with my father. I used to explore the wilderness, go on trails, off trails, swimming, fishing, diving, rock climbing, etc. all by myself or with whatever kids were around at the time. I would sometimes just walk in a random direction solely out of curiosity to see what was in that direction. I would poke, prod and investigate every animal, vegetable and mineral on my way, again out of pure curiosity. All of this because my parents basically didn't care what I was doing or where I was doing it. In other words, I had almost complete free reign to do as I pleased.

I'm fairly certain that, given a ZA situation, I would've had the good sense at Carl's age not to wander off like he does even given my strong sense of independence and extreme curiosity and the freedom I had to wander. So from my perspective, it's not just a "kids will be kids" thing. It's a "writers will be writers" thing.

Remove ads