The Walking Dead 2.11 - Judge, Jury, Executioner (spoilers)

NewJeffCT

First Post
Well, yes, but he's just recovered from being shot and nearly dead. He shouldn't be wandering anywhere. It is not the first time he's gone missing or without supervision, though.

But, rather than blaming Carl (who is a kid after all), his parents don't seem to be doing a very good job.

Also, I forgot he showed up limping and muddy and out of breath, and his mother didn't think to question any of those things at all.

Yeah - I thought about that, too. Maybe she just thought it was a boy being a boy and getting muddy & dirty from playing/jumping around.

However, she has been pretty overprotective of him throughout - yet no questions?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I grew up with close to nil supervision.

Ditto, to a certain extent- but I still got cautionary warnings before I got the chance to wander off into the woods (which I did) and so forth.

But that was then and this is now. Modern parents are bombarded with nightly news of bad people doing bad things to kids. So (IME) modern parents tend to be more protecive than mine were.

With the dawn of the ZA, things got MORE dangerous and not less. I'd expect modern parents- circa the WD setting- would be all over Carl on safety issues. I mean, SHANE has given Carl more warnings than his dad has.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Actually, if you think about it, my point backs your point up.

My parents didn't care, but Carls parents do. So it's a double-whammy. On my own merits, even though I had all that experience, knowledge and freedom, I STILL wouldn't be dumb enough to go out by myself into zombie infested woods where my best and only friend wandered into and died.

And on top of that, Carl's parents care enough that they should be giving him warnings and keeping an eye on him. Which again leads me to say that it's writers being writers, and that pulls me out of my suspension of disbelief.

Honestly, I really want to see a ZA series or even movie where the characters are SMART and don't do incredibly idiotic things all the time solely for the sake of creating drama.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Honestly, I really want to see a ZA series or even movie where the characters are SMART and don't do incredibly idiotic things all the time solely for the sake of creating drama.

There are a few books like that - Day by Day Armageddon is about one guy and his journey through a zombie apocalypse (he meets others along the way that join with him). No big mistakes by him, but they're sort of helpless in their situation as things spin out of control

Similarly, Plague of the Dead focuses on a USAMRIID scientist and a military general and their experiences in the ZA - the scientist trying to find a cure or vaccine, while the general tries to hold his troops together in the face of overwhelming odds.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Actually, if you think about it, my point backs your point up.

My parents didn't care, but Carls parents do. So it's a double-whammy. On my own merits, even though I had all that experience, knowledge and freedom, I STILL wouldn't be dumb enough to go out by myself into zombie infested woods where my best and only friend wandered into and died.

And on top of that, Carl's parents care enough that they should be giving him warnings and keeping an eye on him. Which again leads me to say that it's writers being writers, and that pulls me out of my suspension of disbelief.

That's actually where I was going with that, but I didn't spell it out so clearly. Thanks for the clarification!

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I've only seen one show where I felt the characters were under similar unremitting stress and desperation - the new Battlestar Galactica. It was so bad for BSG that I stopped watching the show, because it stretched credulity that they didn't have main characters blowing their own heads of in despair.

You stopped watching too early then. It happened.

DS

Fast Learner

First Post
When I was a kid Carl's age I'd been camping a fair bit, had Cub Scout training, etc. I was good about not wandering off, knew the dangers, and was appropriately downright fearful of some of the things that might kill me.

However, I still snuck down to the bottom of the spillway near where we lived and poked the cottonmouth snakes with sticks, walked back and forth across a narrow beam 20 feet above a big patch of concrete and jagged rocks most every day, and hand-held roman candle fireworks, shooting balls of fire at my brothers while they shot them at me.

Boys are... stupid, even with training.

That said, in a ZA I'd be all over my kid, day and night.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Roof gardens would be long term projects, not something for the first couple months after the fall of humanity.

See them safer than a corn field that the dead can come in and out of at will. You could do kiddy pools of potting soil, etc. Just a number of different locations. Yea, there are places you can find that are walled, you use them too, just saying you better be thinking about a few things, you are going to have time on your hands for a few years.

The problem is they have wasted a lot of time, they should be out there looking for goods to harvest, empting homes of can goods, know where the local Wal-Mart is. Finding a gun shop for equipment to do your own ammo. The group is not planning at all, they are living day-by-day without thought.

Tell you, in a ZA, I would be on a treadmill every day, just for the one time I have to "run away". I would be in an outfit like a fireman suit everytime I went out because I know it is like armor to bite and claw attacks. I would have two ways out of a building before I go in, I would drag bubble wrap by a string behind me while in a building. My flash light would be a LED super bright area light, not a spot beam, even if I had to run flood lights from a portable generator.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases