Monte's Alternate Bard & Sorceror

Alternate Classes?

• I prefer the alternate Bard over the PHB Bard

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • I prefer the alternate Sorceror over the PHB Sorceror.

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • I prefer BOTH alternate classes over the PHB classes.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I prefer NEITHER of the alternate classes over the PHB classes.

Votes: 22 28.2%

Paul_Klein

Explorer
I'd like ya'll who are familiar with the BoEM2 to answer the above questions, and then post about your answers.

I'm gearing up for my first ever 'real' D&D campaign, and am curious about everyone's thoughts on these 2 alternate classes.

Thanks!!

darkbard

Legend
i love the monte sorcerer. it has beefed up hit die and skill points (including some charisma-based skills which were sorely lacking) but less selection in spells (with slightly better progression but more powerful spells available at higher level). since the sorcerer is supposed to be about force of character and a spell-tank mentality, this works fine for me. eschewing materials just makes sense.

the monte bard is quite interesting. in some ways the spellsong system makes for a weaker caster at medium levels (though stronger at first and at higher levels). the feel of the bard (upon further review, i didn't like it at first) is more music-oriented than the PH version. wearing armor and not taking a penalty for it works for this kind of caster. rolling the bardic music abilities into spellsongs means that your array of "special abilities" is condensed. both versions have their merits.

now, the monte ranger! this allows for a more versatile character concept than the PH version and i prefer it wholeheartedly. not quite the physical combatant that the PH version is but the boost in feats and skills makes for a more well-rounded character (and you can always focus those feats in a PH ranger way).

Taluron

I really wish you had a fifth choice. I consider each of them to have their own place prefereing none above the others.

MonkeyBoy

First Post
Well, I don't think that much of the alt.sorceror, but I agree with Taluron about the bard; I use the alt.bard for elven bards, and the bland.bard for the rest. Makes elf bards stand out as different.

Of course, I should mention that I don't use the PHB spellcasting rules, so my Wizards, Clerics and Druids are different anyway (spellpoint system). So elven bards stand out purely because they use a slot-based system rather than points...

Robbert Raets

Explorer
Though I like the concept behind the new Bard, I'm not too happy about the complications it causes. But Mr. monkeyBoy makes a good point about Elven Bards.

Psion

Adventurer
Dislike both BoEMII bard and sorcerer.

Sorcerer is just a blast mage in its new incarnation -- in my game, sorcerers are likely to use just the sort of subtle magic that monte denies them. Blast mages are boring.

The alt.bard is pointless, IMO. Remaming spells doesn't stop them from being spells, it just complicates the issue, not to mention that it creates a new spell system that flows less well with other magic enhancements in the game. Not worthwhile, IMO.

Fenes 2

First Post
I play both a bard and a sorcerer. When I got the BoEM II, I looked at the alternate classes, checking whether it would be better to convert the characters.

The Sorcerer was a no-brainer. My PC would have not lost a single thing or spell, but gained a ton of skill points and hitpoints. Much too strong, especially for my campaign.

The bard did take a bit longer, but I discarded it too. The spell system is not what I imagine, and I see bards as less confined to music as their art form than that class. Spontaneous arcane casting works fine for me.

John Crichton

First Post
I've said before in other threads that I like both alt.classes. However this doesn't mean that I disallow their PHB counterparts. I encourage the use of both and leave it up to the player as to what version he prefers to use.

I like the bard because of the feel and mechanics of it. The spellcords/notes/etc. while different worked for the campaign they were in but are not for everyone. Same with the sorcerer. I like the changes that were made that make them a bit more different than wizards (more HP, skill points). And for the campaign I was running, the changes made sense (sorcerors were handed differently in flavor).

So read the flavor-text for each and go on that. :)

Remove ads