"Eternal Defender" one size larger - what it means ?

Istar

First Post
What goodies does one size larger give you.
I have read handbook but want some clarification.

1. So a 2 handed weapon such as a Polearm can now be weilded one handed ??

2. The Dice goes from a D10 to a D12.

3. I can use a shield now if I want to ?

4. I could weild a weapon in my offhand, now with my size does this still have to be an off-hand weapon property ?
And will that Dice also go up one ?

5. Any other benefits >?

Kynn

Adventurer
What goodies does one size larger give you.
I have read handbook but want some clarification.

1. So a 2 handed weapon such as a Polearm can now be weilded one handed ??

2. The Dice goes from a D10 to a D12.

3. I can use a shield now if I want to ?

4. I could weild a weapon in my offhand, now with my size does this still have to be an off-hand weapon property ?
And will that Dice also go up one ?

5. Any other benefits >?

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. No.

4. Yes and yes.

5. No.

Istar

First Post
Thanks for the expansive reasonings.

Question 1 is No, can you say why ?

The manual says you can weild 2 handed weapons in one hand ?

Ferghis

First Post
The manual says you can weild 2 handed weapons in one hand ?

Eternal Defender specifically doesn't make you one size larger. The level 24 feature just says: "You can wield weapons as if you were one size larger, and if you are normally Medium or larger, your melee reach increases by 1 square."

PHB page 220 states: "Large creatures can use two-handed weapons intended for creatures one size category smaller than themselves and treat them as one-handed weapons. A fire giant (Large) can use a human’s greatsword with one hand, and a fire titan (Huge) can use a fire giant’s greatsword with one hand. A creature can’t use an undersized one-handed weapon at all; its hand is too large to effectively hold the weapon’s small grip."

Based on the PHB text, it would make sense to me that a Medium sized Eternal Defender could wield two handed weapons in one hand, and a shield in the other. The thing that troubles me is that I'm not sure whether such weapons would count as two handed weapons or one handed weapons for purposes of the fighter Weapon Talent feature. I'd be inclined to just let the PC get the benefit of the feature no matter which Weapon Talent was chosen.

Last edited:

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
As stated by Fergis, wielding weapons as a large creature allows you to 1-hand 2-handed weapons.

Seriously, you think that the feature of an Epic Destiny would be an additional die size? That's worth 1 damage per [W], on average.

You can easily do Polearm/Shield with that Destiny.

Saagael

First Post
Seriously, you think that the feature of an Epic Destiny would be an additional die size? That's worth 1 damage per [W], on average.

That's not bad though, especially if you're using an executioner axe, which has a damage die of d12 brutal 2 (average damage 7.5). That would increase to 2d6 brutal 2 (average damage 9). A barbarian using that with 4 or 5[W] attacks would be pretty powerful.

However, it should be noted that with the way the feature works, you can only ever gain 1 of the 2 benefits. Either A) You increase the die size as the weapon becomes a large-sized weapon, or B) Wield a medium 2-handed weapon in 1 hand. You can't wield a 2-handed large weapon in 1 hand.

EDIT: Even better, using a mordenkrad (2d6 brutal 1) would increase your average damage from 8 to 10 per [W].

Last edited:

Remove ads