Let's Play Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Too bad we couldn't capture one and make him go get that other treasure chest for us. I'm sure it would only take some gentle persuasion ;)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Gentle persuasion with a nail and 2x4 maybe. I'm not sure what the effect of that net trap was supposed to be, except it seemed that my characters lost initiative to two of the three goblins. Well, I plan to press on tonight.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
feathers, huh-cockatrice maybe?

To get tickled, then hard?

Ok, update time.

I backed off from where I left off in the last update in order to recount the steps I took. This was so I could lay out an accurate map. As I walked forward I received this message:

Raven13.png

“You see a short bow lying on the floor. It has been broken into two pieces. The broken short bow lies on the floor here, among the bodies of the felled goblins.” I like that the game recognizes the change I caused to the environment. Very cool to see this in a fan-made mod. After moving up another step I see some rubble at the end of a T-intersection. Searching around the rubble reveals nothing, though looking to the right shows a dead-end, and there is a door and another passage to the left.

_____>>____
_____・・____
_____・・____
_____・・____
_____・・____
_____・・____
_____・・・・・_
_________・_
_________・_・_
_________・_・_
________・・・・+

My horrible map, above. I must come up with a new ASCII mapping formula. If it’s any consolation, it does look better on my computer.

I decide to check out the dead-end first, and run into this wonderful surprise. “An iron rung ladder leads up the wall here. A quick look at the top shows a low-ceilinged crawlspace ledge. The goblins left nothing of value behind when they rushed to attack you.”I suppose that’s the game’s polite way of telling me not to bother searching here and to move along. I can’t use the ladder and using the ‘look’ function only brings up the same message.

I go for the door next, using the look command before I touch the door, just in case it is trapped and the coder allowed for such. Then I walk forward and, ah nuts...

Raven14.png

“Prepared by your previous conflict, goblins have barricaded this room against you.” GlassEye goes first, and I have him aim at the enemy. As you can see, seven goblins are arrayed against our heroes. They each have an AC of 6, a short sword and four hit points. What they do not have, however, are two magic-users with two sleep spells apiece. If they stay bunched, I’ll probably use one. GlassEye fires off two of his arrows against the lead goblins and takes both down. I guess he was tired of Queenie being the better shot. I have Scott DeWar move up with Fenris and stand in a guard position. This allows him to take a shot at a charging goblin, but he misses, as does the goblin. Two other goblins miss Fenris. On a whim, I hold back Queenie’s spell on her turn and have her fire a sling bullet, which injures but does not kill a goblin. (Un)reason crushes the skull of this third goblin with 8 hit points of damage, but Col Pladoh misses with his sling. Fenris goes last on this round, slaughtering a goblin for 11 hit points of damage, then goes first the next round and does the same against another goblin. There are only two goblins left and I decide not to waste a spell. Queenie and Col Pladoh both miss, but GlassEye nicks one, and Scott DeWar finishes him. (Un)reason misses the last one, however it is finished off by a 4 hit point shot from GlassEye. We only pull in 10XP each, as well as some short swords we do not bother to keep.

I receive this room description. “This room was once richly decorated, but now is in ruin. Shreds of tapestries hang from the walls, a pile of furs and trash sits in one corner, and a desk and table have been smashed and lie piled next to a fireplace.” This room looks to be about 30-feet square. I start searching.

Raven15.png

“The desk has been smashed, and most of the drawers and understructure lie in a splintered heap on the floor.” On a whim I decide to use the look command and it works for once. “Still, though, your search reveals a locked drawer which is still intact. You manage to work it open, revealing an old, yellowed scroll covered in arcane writings.” It is labeled as a mage scroll. I have the good Colonel snatch it.

I check out another corner of the room: “Here you find a pile of dried furs and garbage. The goblins apparently used this as a bed.” The skull is a nice touch. Using the look command nets me some coin. “Sifting through the bedding turns up thirty electrum coins.”Hey, that’s 15 gold pieces worth of coin! I more than doubled my entire party’s cash just right there.

Searching the back part of the room, I suddenly find a chest. “You find a chest standing along the wall, partially covered by dirty furs. Pulling it open, you find that it holds only ratty fur converted into a bed by one of the goblins.” Trying the look command again does nothing. I search around the room one more time, checking for secret doors, but come up empty. Time to go down that last corridor...

I head down fifty feet when this room description is presented: “This area is a simple hallway, with dust, old furs, broken spears, and other trash scattered about. A few tapestries still grace the walls, as do several black sconces set to hold torches.” It makes me shift right and then reads: “Several doors are visible along its length.” What’s length? I suppose it means down the wide hall that was revealed off the right from the passage I just traversed. I labeled the party position with the ‘@’ sign. The wide passage continues east of me until it disappears into the darkness.

_____>>____
_____・・____
_____・・____
_____・・____+_+____
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・____@・・・・・・
_____・・・・・_・_+__+_
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
________・・・・+・・・_
_____________・・・_
_____________・・・_

I decide to check out the north door.

Raven16.png

“This small, well-lit room is bare except for a rickety chair next to the wall. There are three doors in the room, each with a small, barred window. There is a bad odor here, the smell of death and decay. You hear the rattle of chains as the door opens, but the sound stops abruptly, leaving you no idea from which cell it came.” It’s a trap! Send in the thief.

I walk up the cell straight ahead. “You jerk the shutter aside and peer into this cell. Two skeletons lie shackled to the north wall.”Scott DeWar fails his lockpicking check, so I have him kick down the door. “As you enter the cell, two skeletons rise, brandishing long swords hidden in the dirt.” I guess they are pissed off about my late rescue. This might be a good time to check if (un)reason can turn without a holy symbol, like Scott DeWar somewhat manages to thief without tools.

The skeletons have an AC of 7, 8 hit points each and long swords. They don’t even get to attack. (Un)reason turns them and they flee. Yes, it would seem that class tools are for whimps. In their haste, one skeleton dropped a gold ring that I have Queenie take. I search the cell, but find nothing further. I go to the northwest cell door. “Pulling the window on this door aside, you see that this cell appears relatively clean. In the corner lies a woman with blonde hair. She lies face down in a long, flowing blue dress.”I’m not into blondes and it’s probably a trap. Still, what kind of adventurer would just up and leave? Scott DeWar fails his pick locks check again, but the door fails its resist dwarven boot check as he bashes it open. “As you approach the bed, further than anyone would expect a trap to be triggered, a stone depresses. A blade scythes down from the ceiling. Fenris is hit for 7 hit points of damage. A doll with a blonde wig lies on the bed.” I’m not sure I could have discovered that trap. Ok, Raven, you ruined a perfectly good dolly. Now it’s personal. I check the last cell door. “Jerking the window open, you see that the dirty floor of the cell is lined with straw and rotten vegetables. An emancipated kobold lies sleeping in one corner.” Surely the peace-loving kobolds won’t betray me. Scott fails his check once more, and applies boot to open the cell. I swear, if this kobold warns me about the trap and skeletons in the other room I’m going to be upset. “The kobold stirs at your entry. He rushes past you, scampering towards the exit.” I grab him and he squeals unintelligibly. “Scott DeWar tells you, ‘we aren’t going to get anything out of it.’” I could kill the creature, but opt to let it go. “The filthy creature yelps and scampers away, running for the main entrance.” Well, that was detrimental to our healths. So far this is what we discovered:

_____>>____+_
_____・・_・+・・_
_____・・_・+・・_
_____・・____+_+____
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・・・・_・_+__+_
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
________・・・・+・・・_
_____________・・・_
_____________・・・_

Next time we open more doors!

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I'll have to go back to full-sized pics, instead of creating montages. Those didn't look good at all. If you go into the actual image locations you can zoom in to see better detail.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I open the second door on the left. “This large room is filled with supplies of various kinds. You see several ropes, sacks and torches at one end of the room. Across from the door are sacks of flour and other foodstuffs; from the smell, most of it has rotted. At the east end of the room are four barrels stacked in a corner and a tall cabinet. From the door, you can see that the various foods stacked in the northwest corner are not fit for human consumption—the flour is infested with bugs, the cheese is covered with mold, the dried meat is gnawed upon. ”Hmmm... how lovely. The room looks to be about 40 feet east to west by 20 feet north-south. I decide to go to the northwest corner, which is straight ahead, and see what kind of nasty creatures pop out of those sacks.

This kind of nasty creature:

Raven17.png

“You approach the disgusting, foul-smelling foodstuffs. Your approach alerts and angers a pair of giant rats.”

I’m not going to bother posting a picture of this battle. Just know that it lasted four moves, with one giant rat missing Fenris, Fenris killing the same rat, (Un)reason moving closer, and GlassEye killing the second rat with one shot. I’m beginning to realize that this was meant to be a starter dungeon, and since my characters are 2nd level with some decent gear, we are walking through everything that is not a trap. I also realize I have not purchased a ranged weapon for (Un)reason, a situation I should rectify with a sling for those moments he finds himself in the back of the line and can’t move up front to melee fast enough to matter.

I get 10 xp for the kill, and decide to search the corner. I’m rewarded with this amusing message: “You hold your breath and poke through the foodstuffs, churning up insects and breaking loose mold. There is nothing of value here.”

Next, I search the rest of this room, ending up in the southeast corner. A search there reveals some goods, such as five coils of rope and twenty-four torches. Also: “There is also a pile of equipment the goblins have gathered from raids. There are no weapons or armor here, but almost anything else may be found, from toys to tools. You take what you can carry of these goods.” I also find a locked cabinet. Scott DeWar searches for traps and detects nothing. I decide to let him pick the lock, too. Scott fails at being a thief. “A needle sticks into Scott DeWar’s hand from the back of the cabinet handle. Your friend’s eyes roll back. Scott DeWar thuds to the floor, in a comatose sleep. Ten minutes pass; he awakes.”

I decided to screenshot his failure for his fans:

Raven18.png

He recovers, but takes a point of damage. Since he can’t unlock the lock, I decide to have him break it open. He succeeds, but: “With a careful blow, your friend breaks open the cabinet. Unfortunately, the fragile containers within also break, flooding the shelves with fine wines that certainly had not been stolen by the humanoids.”

Gratuitous EPIC FAIL pic:

Raven19.png

Lockpick fail and alcohol abuse. There should be laws making that a punishable offense. Also, the game never did allow me to pocket any rope, torches or other tools. Despite my hopes, we are still lacking a holy symbol and set of thieves tools.

I search the northeast corner and receive the following message, which shows we are good at somethings. “The party has discovered a secret door to the east.”

This is the map so far, with the ‘$’ being the secret door:
_____>>____+______
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・$
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・_
_____・・____+_+____
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・・・・_・_+__+_
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
________・・・・+・・・_
_____________・・・_
_____________・・・_

Pushing passed the secret door, I see a large room. “It seems the goblins never found their way into this room- it is quite clean compared to the rest of the keep. The room is comfortably furnished with a couch, a table, and a desk with a padded chair. Bookshelves sit against the walls. The shelves hold many books, as well as several scrolls and many piles of parchments.” The room is 30 feet north to south, and 50 feet east to west.

I move east one space and look. “The raven’s desk is made of sturdy oak. It has a wide flat surface with an inkwell in one corner. The desk has one drawer that holds a few quill pens, as well as several sheets of nice paper. Also in the desk is a thick book filled with daring exploits- Raven’s Journal! Flipping through, your eyes widen as you read the master thief’s personal notes concerning each room of the keep! Scott DeWar finds the section concerning this room, the study. ‘At last, my study is complete. I have decided to make this area a relaxing and pleasant place where I can curl up with a good book, or have a conversation with a close friend. I will place no traps here, though I will make the room difficult to reach.’” Ok, nice to know. What about other rooms, a map, some symbols showing the rest of the traps.. <sigh>.

I move east again. “Raven’s shelves hold over a hundred books on topics ranging from cooking to elfin customs to fiction, with everything in between. Raven has collected several volumes of poetry, as well as books on ships and the sea. The scrolls on the shelves are historical writings and Raven’s business records. Among the parchments are old maps, some clearly marked with locations, others decorated with obscure markings.” I look here and find nothing.

Another step east. “You browse quickly over the maps, records and books.” I decide to look here. “Your thorough search turns up a pair of scrolls with magical writings on them; one holds mystical incantations, the other clerical prayers.” I also get 133 xp for each character. Pretty sweet. (Un)reason gets the cleric scroll, while Queenie gets the mage one.

Another step east. “The table is unremarkable, as are the shelves and chair next to it. All are composed of oak and are quite heavy and sturdy.” Looking doesn’t get me anywhere and there is a wall to the east, so I turn north. There is a door in the center of the wall. I decide not to take it, and go north again. I search, see nothing, go west and search again, find nothing, and go west once more.

“The couch is soft, its cushions made of brown suede stuffed with goose feathers.” I search it. “Your thorough search turns up a tortoise shell comb, a gold and silver brooch, and two silver pieces.” A look at my characters does not show either of those items in my inventory. They do not look to have been converted into gold as the party is still cash poor, so I am not sure what’s going on. Finally, the northwest corner of the room also has a door, which I will take, but this is what the map looks like now.

_____>>____+______・・・・・・+
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・$・・・・・・_
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・________
_____・・____+_+____
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・・・・_・_+__+_
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
_________・_・_____
________・・・・+・・・_
_____________・・・_
_____________・・・_

I move through the northwest door and into a corridor. “The corridor goes ahead a short distance before turning to the right. You see rocks and other similar debris at the corner. It is rather cold here and you can hear the drip of water in the distance.” A tunnel collapsed perhaps?

Raven20.png

“’Raven’s notes: I have decided to make the lower levels accessible from my study. Though I do not believe it is likely for someone to go through my study, it is better to be cautious. I will create a pitfall in the corridor that leads to the stairs down. Walking along the edges of the hall will be safe, but the weight of someone walking down the center of the hall will cause the floor to collapse. An intruder will fall into the pit. I think I will add a special surprise to the pit as well, like a skeleton.’” Holy crap! First off, this guy loves traps like some kind of Bond-level villain. I’m glad he didn’t plan on making a water-filled pit trap occupied by sharks with laser beams. Second, it looks like discovering that book does have some awesome benefits, for now we may get messages about each of these rooms. I decide to back out of the tunnel, as it looks like the corridor leads down, one way or another, and I still have more rooms to check out up here. I backtrack and go out the eastern door of Raven’s study.

Raven21.png

“This well-kept, large room seems to have withstood the ravages of time. You can see a chest, a dresser, and a desk and table. Just inside the room is a large bed that looks quite comfortable. Lying on the bed is a middle-aged man with black hair. He seems to be fast asleep. Over the foot of the bed is a woodcarving of a peaceful pastoral scene with a number of sheep grazing in a field. A couple of shepherds doze under a nearby tree.” What sorcery is this? “’Raven’s notes: My bedroom has served me well over the last few years with its simple furnishings. On one of my recent excursions, however, I found a carved wall hanging which caught my eye. My room has been without decoration for too long, and I will place this over the foot of my bed.’”

It sounds like he was cursed. I get the option to walk away or to enter the room. Since it is allowing me to wait, I decide to walk back out and explore the rest of the floor first.

I leave the previous room through the secret door. “’Raven’s notes: This storage room conceals a secret entrance to my study. This will allow me a quick exit if I am ever threatened. It also allows me to retrieve a good bottle of wine if I happen to be entertaining. I must remember the trap on the cabinet, however. It is quite simple; a needle that pokes out the back of the handle.’” Yes... easy. :-( “’I believe I will only use a sleep poison on this, in case I forget.’”

I leave this room into the wide corridor and go into the southern opposite door. “’Raven’s notes: The formal dining room is done, with room for a dozen people to dine. I let myself be a bit mischievous and included a trap with one of the doors.’” Raven is the worst dinner host ever. “’Hopefully, I will remember not to use that door myself. Oh yes, the silverware drawer is also trapped, with a poison needle.’” Jesus Christ, dude! Paranoid much? “Because of a warning in Raven’s journal, you were able to find that a brick was poised to topple when the door opened. This large room was once a formal dining room. A large table surrounded by chairs sits in the center of the room, and a cabinet of dishes sits in a corner. As you look around the room, you hear a low growl. As a pair of wolves comes around the end of the table, two goblins climb up on top of it. They do not look happy to see you. The goblins send the wolves forward to attack while they guard the table with their lives.” What is so important about a table? Hell with it.

Raven22.png

Oh, this is what’s so important about the table. This is actually a pretty neat idea to change up the monotony of the fights. Two goblin archers stand atop a table and are considered to have 9 hit points and an AC of 6. Two wolves are behind them, each with an AC of 6 and 12 hit points. They are a good distance away, giving the speedy wolves a chance to play meat shields while the goblins plug away at their leisure. Instead of creating a shield wall, I’ll have to rush forward. GlassEye goes first, and I have him take a shot at the goblins. He hits, but only for 4 hit points of damage, meaning they are still up and a threat. Queenie is up next, but is out of range for her darts. I’m afraid her sleep spell would also be out of range, so I have her delay. Scott DeWar rushes forward with his 6 hit points. He goes to guard, and gets a shot at a charging wolf. Man, they look like shaved giant rats with their icons. Anyway, Scott DeWar misses, but is missed in turn. But now Col Pladoh is in range with his darts. He lets loose and misses. Fenris moves next to Scott DeWar, but also misses the wolf. The second wolf charges and attacks Scott DeWar, but misses. The goblins fire their bows and also miss Scott. (Un)reason can’t get up far enough to strike. I mess up and don’t finish his turn next to Scott, which is bad, since the fighter/thief probably needs to be healed if he is going to be up at the front like this. Queenie moves up, right behind the new shield wall, and surprises me by firing two darts that both hit for 2 hit points of damage each on one wolf. I thought that multiple attacks only happened when a character didn’t spend part of the round moving. I have GlassEye ignore the wolves and shoot once more at the goblins, but he misses. Scott DeWar kills off the wolf Queenie hurt with his mace. Col Pladoh injures the second one with a dart, as does Queenie. It’s (un)reason’s turn, and I spend it casting a cure light wounds on Scott. Before it can go off, the goblins shoot Col Pladoh for 2 hit points of damage, and Scott is missed again by the remaining wolf. The spell goes off, however, and Scott DeWar is fully healed and I breathe easier. Fenris moves up and kills the remaining wolf. Col Pladoh moves up and fires a dart into the face of one of the goblins for 1 hit point of damage. GlassEye shoots again for another hit point. The goblins are down to 3 hit points, so we are wheedling them down, but can’t seem to take them out. Scott DeWar and (un)reason move next, but can’t reach the goblins. I decide to hell with it and take a chance. I have Queenie switch to a silver dagger and she attacks, but misses. They are forced into melee, however, and miss her in turn. Fenris rushes forward but can’t close into melee. On the next round, Queenie cuts them for another single hit point of damage. GlassEye misses with an arrow, Scott and (un)reason each with a respective mace. Finally, Fenris ends the farce when he closes with his magical broad sword and does 9 hit points of damage. They leave 11 arrows, which I give to GlassEye and a short bow, which I have Fenris hold onto while I consider if it’s worthwhile to hold onto.

I search the room. “A dead goblin lies on the floor here, apparently fallen victim to a sprung needle trap on the cabinet.” Oh raven, you cad. “The silverware draw holds silver cutlery, which should fetch a fine price, while the cabinet itself holds a set of pewter tableware, sufficient for a dozen to dine.” I search again and find some gemstones and receive a few hundred XPs. Huh. The last place I check is under the table. “Under the broken remains of the table, you find the loot the goblins were sorting before your intrusion. It includes nearly three hundred silver pieces, a dozen pieces of gold and two heavy candlesticks.” Sweet.

The room itself seems to be about fifty feet west to east and forty feet north to south. There is a block of stone where the dead goblin was in the southwest corner, and a door to the southeast. I’ll take the door, but I plan to do that in the next update.

_____>>____+______・・・・・・+・
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・$・・・・・・_
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・________
_____・・____+_+____
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・____・・・・・・・
_____・・・・・_・_+__+_
_________・_・_・・・・・_
_________・_・_・・・・・_
_________・_・_・・・・@_
_________・_・_____+_
________・・・・+・・・_
_____________・・・_
_____________・・・_

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Raven's Ruin won!

So, I did what I intended from the last update and went through the door. Only to be met by another door in a 10 foot square hall. I decide to search the entrance with Scott DeWar in case it is trapped, but we find nothing. Pushing through we enter a chamber.

“’Raven’s Notes: I have ordered that a well-equipped kitchen be constructed. The fireplace presented a bit of a problem. Drilling to the surface was not as easy here as in other parts of the keep. I have decided not to place any traps in this room, because other people will use it, and I do not know if they will remember the presence of the traps.’” Ok, Raven’s alignment must have been Chaotic Crazy. He decides not to trap the kitchen because people may get hurt, but he traps the heck out of the large dining room meant to host visitors, complete with trapping the cutlery.

“This area is a kitchen. There is a large fireplace at the south end of the room, and the wind howls mournfully from the chimney. A large table, obviously used for food preparation, sits in the middle of the room. Along the east wall is a set of cupboards and shelves, and before them dishes, pans and serving utensils are scattered. A number of spider webs are visible in the corners. North of the pillars are large piles of moldering food. You see several rats crawling among the food.” We’re not scared of some rats.

The room is oddly shaped, and flows out to the east. I approach a table against a pillar of stone.

Raven23.png

“The table in the center of the room is unremarkable, but is quite large and sturdy. Its top is scarred by cuts, and stains of all types decorate its surface. A number of bones can be found beneath it, mostly those of small animals that have fallen victim to the rats.” I do a quick search using the Look command, but find nothing else. The cupboards in the southeastern wall also come up empty. “The cupboards and shelves are mostly empty, since the goblins searched them for anything that could be used as a weapon, and have scattered other items along the floor in front of them. While some of the dishes, pans and utensils are still useable, most have been battered by the humanoids, and none are valuable. There are no knives or cleavers among the utensils; all of these have been taken.” NO! Not my ginsu knives! Damn you goblins, is nothing sacred?! I also get a note telling me that the spider webs here hold normal, harmless spiders.

I have Scott DeWar search this spot, and we come up with a discovery. “The fireplace is unexciting. A few half-burned logs still sit along the bottom, and ashes have been blown out to cover most of the nearby floor. Rat tracks are visible in the ashes. Inside the fireplace is an iron rod from which is suspended a large cauldron, filled with scummy water that has fallen through the vent above. The water is smell and stagnant.” I have the option to search the cauldron, drink, or search the vent or to back away. Backing away is out, but so is drinking the foul water from the cauldron. Maybe if this was a magical lair like Quaqueston in In Search of Adventure, I might be tempted. Searching the cauldron doesn’t seem wise, either, so I go for the vent. “The vent is about a foot wide and slants up to the surface. It is too small for even a goblin to climb.” Hmmm. Alright, I search the cauldron. Since (un)reason currently has the most hit points, he is volunteered to reach inside. “(Un)reason withdraws a single copper piece, apparently dropped down the vent from some passerby some time ago.” Hey, money is money. We walk away. I decide to explore the northeast section of the room. I see a door on the center of the northern wall and some bones, where I last saw the overly large rats. I decide to do some rodent smashing.

Raven24.png

“You look about the heaps of rotting food. Nothing seems useful here, but your approach provokes the attack of the rat swarm!” I like the icons for the swarms of rats in the picture. There are three swarms that are in melee with the party already, each to the north and having an AC of 7 and 7 hit points. GlassEye goes first, doing 8 hit points of damage and killing off the first swarm with a single arrow. I’m trying to figure out the physics of that one, when I suddenly realize that he gets a second shot. He hits the second swarm for a mere 2 hit points of damage. Col Pladoh hits for four hit points of damage with a sling, which I forgot to unequip after the last fight. Again, the sling does more damage (1d4 points), but the darts (1d3 points) can sometimes give a valuable second attack. Queenie goes next, and I switch her from a silver dagger she used recently in melee to her darts. She hits the second rat swarm and kills it. Fenris and Scott DeWar take care of the last swarm. I only get a few experience points for the trouble. No surprise there.

The rats were guarding the following: “The food is rank and vile. Beneath the food are three small barrels, two of which contained ale and have been gnawed by the rats until the ale leaked out. The third barrel contains lamp oil. It is marked by the seal of Kleine and has been placed here recently.” Ok, that’s interesting. Are we getting closer to the town’s stolen items?

I take the door to the north, which takes me to another oddly shaped room. There is a large room to the north of me with a door to the eastern side, a short passage to the east of me that ends at a door, and a southern corridor just before that. I’m beginning to think this level is much larger than I anticipated. I go east, then south before the door.

Raven25.png

I go 40 feet south before I notice some rubble up ahead. “’Raven’s Notes: Today, my workers completed the tunnel which will lead to the south wing. I am not positive what I will build in that direction. Perhaps a maze filled with traps. Perhaps a center for a Thieves’ Guild. Complete with training materials. Maybe I will build an art gallery to display the great treasures I have stolen over the years.’” Ooh! Please be number three! “’I have been a bit worried that my construction workers would break into a network of underground caverns-who knows what could be down there.’” Crap. Of course it will be door number four, behind which is murder and death. “This hallway stops short a few feet ahead. A large section of the ceiling collapsed some time in the past and rubble blocks the way to whatever lies beyond. It looks like it would take hours to dig your way through. And you can see large things moving in the webs among the collapsed stonework.” Of course. At least this time I have an option of fighting the large spiders or fleeing. Combat hasn’t been too tough before, so I opt to attack. “The spider awaits you in her webs among the rubble. As you approach, though, she attacks viciously.” It’s a black widow spider with an AC of 6 and 15 hit points. Not too tough, but I am worried about poison, and the fact that our mage, Col Pladoh, somehow ended up in melee with it. GlassEye and Queenie do a total of seven hit points to the giant spider from range. Scott DeWar and Fenris miss, leaving the next attack to Col Pladoh. I have him switch to his silver dagger, go behind the creature, and swing. He does four hit points of damage, and (un)reason attacks next, but whiffs. Still it looks like he distracted the spider away from Col Pladoh, because it focuses on (un)reason, though fails to hit the cleric. Queenie nearly kills the spider on the next round, and it attacks Scott and misses. We have one big round of missing until Fenris takes it down. 22 XP is awarded for each character.

“Lying among the rubble, you find the belongings and remains of adventurers who explored the keep over a year ago. A number of items, including a pair of shields, an elaborate ring, a mace and a backpack turn up. Also among the desiccated remains is a sack containing gold, silver and copper coins.” I get 73 more XP each and 19 gold coins. Scott DeWar and GlassEye are now highlighted in purple, showing that they are ready to level up, just like (un)reason has been. It’s like Christmas for low level adventurers.

Raven26.png

I go back and take the eastern door. “’Raven’s Notes: Between my bedroom and my treasure room will be a room with a guard posted.’” Wonderful. “This large room holds a huge pile of sacks, barrels and other equipment. You also see a large humanoid; a hobgoblin! It rushes towards you, waving a long sword.” One sole hobgoblin? He only has 8 hit points and an AC of 6, though he wields a broad sword. GlassEye wounds him for four hit points of damage, and Queenie almost kills him with 3 more hit points of damage. Scott DeWar finishes him, but I guess there was some glitch because another hobgoblin was on the board and would only show with his attack animation. Regardless, he died too. I find a ring on the bodies and two broad swords, which I keep.

“The second hobgoblin becomes visible as you take the enchanted ring from his finger.” Ah, so it wasn’t a glitch, but poor implementation. If I remember my AD&D rules, a ring of invisibility should allow the wearer to turn invisible. But if he attacks, he becomes visible, and cannot turn invisible again for another turn, which equates to ten minutes. Someone fact check me on that. Because such a magical item seems to have not been able to be implemented due to limitations in the FRUA code, the designer of this module seems to have decided to alter what the ring does, so that it instead gives a slight AC bonus and is a constant effect. Also, the primary icon for the wearer is turned off, while the secondary action icon for the wearer remains the same. This clever trick makes the attacker invisible, except during his attack animation.

This room we entered is forty feet from the north to south and 30 feet east to west. There are torches on the eastern wall bracketing what may be a secret door, and doors to the north, south and northwest and southwest. The last door is where I came from. I decide to go south for now, hoping to find the aforementioned treasure.

“The doors to this room have been battered and their locks broken.”
I find a single 10 foot square room with another door to the south, which I also go through.

Raven27.png

I’m greeted by a not so friendly-looking hobgoblin. “The chamber is awesome to behold. At the far end, a richly dressed hobgoblin sits in a finely carved chair, around which are chests, bags, piles of coins and other valuables. The hobgoblin stands and barks a command in its language. Two goblins with bows jump up from hiding places behind the treasure while goblins and wolves advance on you from the sides of the room. It looks like you are in for a tough battle.” It does look like a tough battle. I see two wolves with 12 hps and AC 6, and five goblins with an AC of 6 and 4 hit points, though two of them look like bowman. I do not see the hobgoblin, so either I just can’t see him on the field of battle, or he is planning to take me down after this fight.

Alright. Let’s do this.

duke-nukem-forever.jpg

The goblins start at a pretty long range, and GlassEye can just barely shoot at the closest one. He misses with his shot, and I move the melee line up and have them guard. A goblin shoots Col Pladoh for 3 hit points of damage, bringing him down to 2 hit points. I have him and Queenie delay while we try to have the attackers charge and bunch up at our shield wall for a properly laid sleep spell. A wolf charges Scott DeWar, who misses it, but is missed in turn. Fenris misses the wolf, as does Queenie, but Col Pladoh nicks it with a dart for two hit points. GlassEye moves up and misses a goblin archer next round, but Scott DeWar and Col Pladoh take down the injured wolf with mace and dart. I get a bit concerned, as Scott DeWar is attacked by a second wolf for 8 hit points of damage, while the archers target him and Fenris, but luckily miss. I have (un)reason partially heal our dwarf with a cure light wounds spell.

We are in a bind, since the goblins didn’t bunch up at our shield wall for a sleep spell. The bastards. Queenie almost kills a goblin swordsman with two darts, and Col Pladoh finishes him off with a third. Fenris finally hits something and nearly kills the second wolf, with Scott DeWar finishing him. An archer takes a potshot at Scott again, but misses. (un)reason takes the next opportunity to fully heal Scott DeWar, then dodges another arrow. Scott kills a goblin swordsman with aspirations, while GlassEye continues to miss the goblin archers with his arrows. Fenris kills the last swordsman, and I decide to charge with the rest of my characters against the last two goblin archers. Funny enough, it’s the mages who go first and they rush the archers while flinging darts at them. One archer is nearly killed by them, but is then finished off by GlassEye. The last goblin gets one more arrow into a charging (unreason), injuring the cleric for 6 hit points of damage before (un)reason kills him with his mace. The battle is over, and I collect 33 xp for each character and a handful of arrows for Fenris. I’m sorry for not showing more screen shots of the fight, but the battle was spread out because of the long distances the two forces started at and the fact that the two opposing forces had to break up between melee and ranged attacks. I doubt pictures would have helped much.

“The hobgoblin remains, alone, surrounded where he sits on his throne. You see only the faintest hint of fear in his eyes as he rants at you. . . ‘I, Hiloc, call down wrath of all hobgoblins upon you . . . you no hurt me or you die . . . you children die . . . you family die!’” I have a choice to either ignore his threats and to kill him, or to let him flee. I am not very happy with him right now, so I choose the dirt nap option. “After roughly a second, Hiloc is out of your mind. You take in the incredible treasures accumulated by Raven and the humanoids. The items are scattered and mixed, some in sacks or chests. Others are simply piled or stacked somewhere in the room. Literally thousands of coins of all mints and precious metals, glittering gemstones, gem-studded jewels, works of art. And the three-foot wooden rod with gold and silver inlays that spawned this entire adventure: the Scepter of Truth! You gather the treasure, not bothering to count them before the Council of Kleine has its opportunity to pick through them.” Good call. Those cheap ingrates. “’Raven’s Notes: I have decided where I will locate the room for my treasure. It will be near my own quarters so I might be close to my valuables, and one must pass through a guard room to get there. The doors will be locked and trapped to discourage intruders, and I will set several traps inside as well.’”

“Fenris sighs, ‘Looks as though the goblins took care of the traps for us.’” True that, Fenris. But let’s still have the thief go first. I switch to Scott DeWar, but find nothing else in the room. I wonder if the coins will appear at the end of the adventure, since no one has a huge amount of gold pieces in their inventory. We could probably call the adventure quits, as I have the scepter, but we have some more rooms to explore.

I go back to the previous large room, and search the eastern wall, but find nothing. It seems I was wrong about a secret door. I then check the northwest door and go through it. The room on the other side looks quite different from other parts of the lair.

Raven28.png

“’Raven’s Notes: I have decided to construct another room specifically for unwanted intruders. All of my servants will know to never enter the room.’” Crap! It would have been nice to have read that before I walked in! “’The workers have dug a pit beneath the room, braced the pit’s sides with stone, and diverted a small, natural spring into it. Dirt was thrown in to make a nice mud pit. To the mud pit, I have added a creature which I discovered during my travels. I call it a galumph, and it should be able to deal with intruders who enter the room to find that there is very little floor. The rug will not support their weight for long.’” I’m tempted to take on the creature in case it has some treasure collected from its victims, but I will probably just back off. The normal room description reads as follows: “This appears to be a sitting room. There are three chairs against each wall, and a door on the far wall. The floor is made of varnished hardwood, and a large rug occupies the center of the floor.” I know everyone is morbidly curious, but I still decide to back up into the previous hall, label the pit trap with a ‘PT’, then go through the north door.

Before I can go through it, a message reads: “A haphazard heap of nonvaluable items stolen by the humanoids over the past several months is stacked before the door to the north. Toys, tools, dishes, good food, decoration, and the like are piled against it.” When I try to look, it doesn’t allow me to search further. The north door is locked, but Scott successfully picks it. Way to go, Scott.

We find another short 10 foot square hall, blocked by another door, which the party pushes passed.

Raven29.png

“This well-kept, large room seems to have withstood the ravages of time. You can see a chest, a dresser, a desk and chair, and the corner of a bed.” An odd description. Why only the corner of a bed? Is it a giant bed? Did someone just chop off a corner, and leave it? I drop my metaphysical musings and move to ransack the room. “Just inside the door, lie a pair of goblins, fast asleep.” Aww. Poor tuckered out guys. I have Scott DeWar move to slit their throats. “Scott DeWar moves forward to kill the goblins. As your friend crosses the threshold, though, you hear a soft sigh escape Scott DeWar’s lips. Scott DeWar collapses to the floor. For a moment you think your friend is dead, but then you see the slow rise and fall of the chest. Sleeping! Quickly, you drag your friend from the room. Scott DeWar awakes, confused and barely groggy.” Ok, this room seems like bad news. After looking at my map, I think this is where the sleeping man (whom I think is Raven) that I found earlier lies. I’ve searched every room that I know of on this floor, so I decide to head back to him from his secret room in the north part of the dungeon. I find him and pick the option to drag the man out of the room, instead of backing out like last time.

Raven30.png

“Producing a nook from the goods stashed in the room behind you, you snare the man’s bed and haul it to the door. From there, it is an easy feat to drag the man into the room with you. The man awakes, confused but barely groggy. ‘Who are you? How did you get into my keep . . . and what is all this junk around the floor?’” Man, I think we’ve all woken up to something like this after a bad bender.

“The man looks about in confusion at the heaps of garbage and loot the goblins have piled on the floor. It occurs to you who this man is . . . Raven, Master Thief. He must have been asleep these past two years under the influence of the bizarre magic in his room.” I have the option to explain the situation, attack him, or to order him to leave this land. Number three is tempting after seeing how he treats his dinner guests, but I think kicking someone out of their own house is downright rude. So is number 2, in this situation. I go for an explanation of what happened, imagining a montage being played in the background as I do so. “Raven listens as you explain the instances of goblin raids, and his eyebrow quirks as you mention the Scepter of Truth. ‘I see,’ the rogue mutters. ‘As I see it, you may leave with the Scepter of Truth. While I admire the humanoids’ audacity in acquiring it, I can see little use in having it at this juncture. Of course, the rest of the items I must insist remain behind. The goblins have done considerable damage, and I need some added funds for reparations.’ You tell the thief that some of these items must be returned to the people of the village.” Considering that you are facing six armed adventurers after a two year nap and in your robe, you seem a bit ballsy there, Raven. Maybe I should have attacked.

“Your companions nod, either for the morality of the statement, or because they realize you will not be paid unless you return with both the Scepter of Truth and the stolen items. Raven merely shrugs. ‘As I said, you may have the Scepter and safe passage out of my home. If any goblins remain within the compound, I shall deal with them. In exchange, I must have all items that did not come with you to my home.” You shake your head, and a sudden tension around the Raven’s eyes tells you that the time for talk has nearly come to an end. Then the man smiles, an odd, lop-sided grin, and he nods. ‘Very well, I have no desire to do battle with six foes, while I wield little more than a boot knife. I agree to your terms. And now, if you will excuse me, I must be about my way. There are regions of the keep you could not possibly have found, and I must attend to matters therein.’ Raven walks out of the room, vanishing from sight and sound in moments.” What a jerk. I should probably go before he arms himself properly. I’d hate to go against a high level thief with magical gear appropriate to his level. Especially considering that they can cast arcane spells through scrolls.

Before I go, I decide to go to that last corridor with the pit trap near this room. “Using the information in Raven’s journal, you are able to skirt the edges of the pit trap set in the middle of the floor.” I find a corridor with stairs leading down. At the stairs: “The corridor is blocked by fallen rocks just around the corner. Water drips from holes in the ceiling and trickles down through the rubble, running through it to the lower level beyond the blocked stairs. Scott DeWar muses, ‘I would be foolish to attempt to dig to the lower levels. The ceiling is too weak. We would be sealing ourselves into a tomb.’” Let’s trust the dwarf on this. They know their digging. Nothing else to do but trek back to town.

Here is the completed map:

_______________>_____________
_・・・_・・・・・<____・_____________
_・・・+・・・・・_____・_____________
_・・・_・・・・・_・___・・+・・・・・・_・・・_
_____>>____+______・・・・・・+・・・_
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・$・・・・・・__+__
_____・・_・+・・_・・・・_________・_
_____・・____+_+____________+__
_____・・____・・・・・・・_______・・・_
_____・・____・・・・・・・_・・+PT+・・・_
_____・・・・・_・_+__+__・・____・・・_
_________・_・_・・・・・_・・・・・+・・・_
_________・_・_・・・・・__+__・__+__
_________・_・_・・・・・_・・・_・__・_
_________・_・_____+_・・・_・__+__
________・・・・+・・・_・_・・・_・_・・・_
_____________・・・_+_・・・_・_・・・_
_____________・・・_・・・_・_・_・・・_
_________________・・・・・________

I head back into the woods without incident, but am ambushed on the trail. “Goblins emerge from the forest, spreading out to attack you from the flanks.” RAVEN! Ok, it’s not him as I soon find out.

I was worried, but it seems I’m only surrounded by one goblin to our left and another two on our right. Worst ambush ever. I have GlassEye take a potshot at the lone and unafraid goblin to the left, but he misses. It’s odd, but our archer is missing a lot lately. I consider blowing some of my four unused sleep spells, but it would be tactically stupid to waste them here, so I hold off. Queenie and Col Pladoh delay actions. (un)reason guards, and kills the sole charging goblin on the left flank in the next instance. A second goblin nicks Scott DeWar for a hit point, after Scott missed him, but Fenris ends him quickly. Col Pladoh hits the last goblin for a hit point of damage with a dart, and Queenie kills him with another.

Raven31.png

I get lost in the woods trying to find my way back, and have a truly uneventful battle with a wolf and goblin trainer that’s not even worth recording. And then a more interesting, but nearly as quickly completed encounter with four kobolds. Finally, I stumble back into the village and go to the inn for my reward.

Raven32.png

“You return to the Melodious Harpy. Men stop with their mugs at their lips, and a silence falls over the inn that is so absolute that you hear the door slam shut behind you. Councilman Baur looks up from his table, his eyes belying the tension in his seemingly casual stare. You reach into your backpack. And a great cheer erupts in the common room as you produce the Scepter of Truth! Villagers of Kleine swarm forward, clamoring to see the Scepter, and to find their belongings among the goods you have with you. Men and women alike cheer you as heroes, as saints, as demi-gods. ‘Enough!’ All eyes turn to Councilman Baur. ‘We have an agreement with these fine men. The Council shall sift through these goods, returning to Kleine what is Kleine’s. To these heroes goes the rest.’ Villagers step away, muttering but still smiling whenever they see the Scepter of Truth. Councilman Baur approaches you, brandishing the contract. ‘You will be properly compensated for your efforts. Now, if you will kindly deliver the sacks and goods for the Council, you may have a drink at the bar while the sifting is done.’ The village priestess and other members of the Kleine village council arrive in a hurry to see what you have returned, and to reclaim the Scepter. You ask for a room key and are given one freely. You nap and recuperate during the hours of ‘sifting’ that follow.”

During this break, I heal up the party and have Col Pladoh memorize and cast detect magic. None of the weapons and armor recovered show up as magical, but the recovered scrolls and rings do, unsurprisingly. I save, then go to see what the townsfolk have found out.
“Finally, Baur approaches you. The other members of the Council have gone, along with the Scepter of Truth. ‘We have never seen the shell comb or the gold brooch. They are yours to keep. However, these silver candlesticks are the property of a local merchant. They shall be returned to him. The personal goods you have retrieved from Raven’s Ruin will be returned to their respective owners. As we speak, members of the village council are doing just that. We have taken an estimated amount of copper, silver, electrum and gold coins from the amount you returned. Also, we have reclaimed certain noteworthy pieces of jewelry that have been reported stolen of late. The rest is yours to keep.’ At the last, Council Baur looks to the contract you signed before leaving the village. ‘It seems that all that remains is to deliver your agreed upon payment.’”

I get 16 xp each and 50 gold pieces. Cheapskates. I must have also received some hidden XP, since everyone except Fenris is now ready to level again. I have to wonder if I should have thrown myself in a certain pit trap just to find more treasure. “Councilman Baur smiles to you and bows gracefully. ‘Take this and know that you have the thanks of a grateful Kleine.’ A cheer goes up through the Melodious Harpy, and men drink to your health as they swear to your generosity.” I walk out, and see this message next. “You inhale the cool, fresh air. Any goods remaining in your pack will only find a buyer in the larger market of a city such as Urnst, just upriver from Kleine.”

I figure this might be a hint and will head there to level up and sell off some jewelry. The next adventure is called R2: Night in Daelwyn’s Rest, which should be a decent challenge as it is meant for party’s of level 3-5 and this party is barely hitting 3rd level if we can afford the training.

I’m glad to leave Kleine, which seems like a pretty dull and unrewarding base of operations. I also didn’t enjoy this module. My characters were too powerful for it, and the dungeon was poorly done. Why would Raven create a secret backroom, only to leave an unhidden eastern door to his bedroom? Anyone who snuck into his bedroom would have seen it and walked right through. He seemed like a demented madman as he placed traps throughout his common areas, and after he tried to browbeat my party while armed with only a knife. He was also implying that he might try to steal the artifact I recovered at another time. Journey to the Rock had some annoying dialogue also, but I found it to be a greater challenge and it had quite a bit of quirky charm with mad hermits and idiotic gnomes. Though they are the same kind of fetch quest adventure, Journey to the Rock stayed interesting throughout. Raven’s Ruin was interesting during the first half of the adventure, and gave the thief some things to do, but it petered out towards the end and became just a slug fest after the prison cells. I wish there were more tests of thievery, and I feel that the lack of such skill checks was a lost opportunity. In hindsight, perhaps this should be the first adventure tried, followed by Journey to the Rock.

Next Time: I plan to appraise the gems and jewelry recovered, ID our magical items, sell off what we can turn for a decent profit, train our characters for 3rd level, re-equip and memorize new spells, then tackle R2: Night in Daelwyn’s Rest.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
R2: Night in Daelwyn’s Rest

The town of Kleine raised (un)reason to third level for free at the temple, while I had to pay a small bit to raise GlassEye to third level and Scott DeWar to a 2nd level fighter and 2nd level thief. There was no mage guild, so I could not raise Queenie and Col Pladoh to the next level. The party is low-level for this adventure, as it requires a party of level 3-5. I am running with three level 3s, two level 2s and a multiclass level 2/2 fighter-thief.

The opening screen sets the mood nicely:

Night00.png

The template is gentler on the eyes than the last two modules, although the view at this point is the same in all four directions.

Night01.png

I move forward, but it doesn’t matter. There is no compass, but on the right side of the screen is an X,Y coordinate that allows me to realize that the room is only 16 by 16 in size. But there are no walls, and I return to the original grid coordinate if I continue to move straight.

Taking a guess, I decide to sit and rest. It does nothing. I’m a little tapped out on what I’m supposed to do here, so I’m going to contact someone for an answer, but will have to keep this unfortunately short.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Ok, I just realized that the mistake was mine. I tried to load the party instead of adding party members one by one into the party and then clicking on begin. And this is the result:

Night02.png

“You made camp in a clearing just beyond an old rancher’s home. The man’s domain had shrunk as he aged and you bedded down on grass that his horses had not touched in a decade. The cackling of the fire lulled you to sleep while two of your friends took first watch. Even in the peace of the Westlands, there is a need to be wary of brigands, or the occasional band of rapacious humanoids. So when (un)reason shook you awake in the middle of the night it was not a total surprise. Still, the wall of mist that had formed before you came as something of a shock. More ominous was the way it moved towards you, slowly unfolding to ensconce your camp site, leaving but a narrow path south through the forest. One of your companions braved the mists, swiftly finding the vapors to be acrid. You dragged him away, coughing blood, before he succumbed. And so, with no avenue left but retreat, you fell back into the wood along an ancient path. The old rancher’s home was lost from sight and memory. An old mansion, two stories and decrepit, appeared before you, rising through the mists. The mist-shrouded trail led directly to this crumbling edifice. The trees fell away as you neared the entrance. Centuries ago, the mansion had been built in the heart of the natural clearing. Over the door, a stone lintel read: Daelwyn’s Rest. Shutting the door against the mists, you shook the night chill from your bones and looked about. The house seemed empty. Long deserted. But clearly something, or someone, had brought you here.”

Eery music starts up and we get some more imagery.

Night03.png

“You take in the common room carefully, wondering what horrors wait in this ominous house. Doors lead out to the left and the right, and a flight up the steps leads up to the second floor landing to your right. A corridor stretches into the shadows in the northwest corner.”

Ok, I’m going to stop here for now. So far I really like the midi music, the verbose text, pictures used, color template and the general atmosphere. Next I will eagerly explore the first few rooms. Keep in mind that my mages memorized sleep, which is useless against undead and constructs we might find, and my cleric lacks a holy symbol and has not rested for his newly earned second level spells. This should be a challenge and I’m excited for it.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Sorry for the delay. This update will be a short one. So we last left off with the party stuck in some kind of abandoned mansion. There is no compass on the screen, so I am going to consider the direction in which I am first facing to be north and the doors behind the party to be south. Out of curiosity, I decide to open up that south door and take a peek outside.

Night04.png

Holy crap! “Bracing yourself, you step out of the house into the mists. Instantly a sinister form takes shape, shooting towards you. Its mouth is open, but the roar you hear seems to come from the whole of the woods around it! The door is shut before you realize you are closing it. The sound of the beast’s roar still echoes in your ears.” Well that didn’t go well. There is some animation of the mists slowly pouring through the trees and solidifying into a dragon-shaped beast, which is very cool and is accompanied by some thundering music for dramatic effect. I have confidence in the party, but not so much that I think they could take a dragon on.

I decide to explore the room further. It looks rather large. I walk first to the bookshelf in the southwest corner of the room. “Dozens of books pack tightly the shelves before you. Several thick, leatherbound biographies of past rulers of the cities of Urnst and Specularum stand out. Turning to survey the reading desk next to the bookshelf, you find only several strips of illegible parchment and a dried inkwell.”

Checking out a bench along the north wall, I receive this text: “This old bench is bowed in the middle from the weight of years. An undisturbed layer of dust covers the old oak finish.” Shelving next to the bench: “Bare shelves line the north wall. No marking tell where the nicknacks once stood.”

I’ve searched the entire room now and can go to the stairs to the east, an eastern door just north of the stairs, a western door, or a hallway in the northeast. I opt for the western door. After checking for traps and not finding any, I walk through to a smaller room.

Night05.png

“A pair of tables come together to form an L-shape in the center of the room.” I move up to check out the table and a desk to the south. The desk has no text associated, but the table does. “The tablecloth has moldered over the years under its burden of dust and cobwebs. Dead, brittle flowers lie in the shards of a long-broken vase.” There is a hearth in the western wall. “The hearth is long-cold. A single log lies on the sooty stone flooring.” This 30-foot square room is otherwise empty, except for a door to the north that I take, which looks similar to the last room, down to the table.

“You step into the kitchens. A single door leads out to the north, leading past a single, leaning table still stained by the bloody signs of countless past meals.” There is another hearth in the western wall of this 30-foot square room. “This hearth is choked with webs and several chunks of rocky debris tell of the broken chimney overhead.” I also find another set of shelves to the northeast.

Night06.png

“These shelves bear no load but dust, though you spy a cloudy, sealed jar at the top of the casing.” I can’t figure out how to get this casing. It doesn’t show up in my party inventory, area, cast and view are not associated with such objects. Encamping doesn’t give me the option to take anything from the environment, and search and look just show me the same message. Maybe I’m supposed to come back later.

I am going to stop here for now. I really like what was done so far in this module, even though we haven’t found many items to take or monsters to fight. The beast keeping me inside the mansion is threatening enough, and the empty rooms give a creepy vibe to my explorations.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases