Realism vs. Believability and the Design of HPs, Powers and Other Things

So, in other words BRG, you're not interested in what makes a better game. You're only interested in what makes a better game for you.

I want a better game. Improving the system for a new edition is fine, but I want it to feel like D&D to me. This, like any other measure for the "quality" of the game is going to be subjective. What is D&D to you may not be the same to me. But they should strive to create something that both appeals to a large section of the gaming community and is still distinctly D&D. For me and many others, 4E feels like a different game. I is certainly bold and innovative, but it isn't what I think of when I say "that D&D feel".

I would just add there is no universal measure for what would make D&D better. For some people building on 4e and refining it would create a better game, for others trying to recapture some of the classic old school elements would be a better game. The only thing I can do is offer my opinions about what will make the game more enjoyable and hope wotc listens.

Ahh, ok. I have to wonder then, why bother discussing the game? I mean, you're not interested in any sort of mechanics other than what came before. I have to give you full credit for honesty though. It's not like you're even trying to be conciliatory or even bothering sugar coating it.

These discussions are important because they give us a sense of where different segments of the community are and what they want. We aren't building the game. It isn't our job to create ghe great compromise between us. We are just talking about what our desires are for D&D Next. Hopefully wizards is listening to online chatter like this to help get a sense of where they should take the new edition. They may listen to you, they may listen to me, they may take parts of what we both say and apply those to the design....in the end i expect them to do what they believe will attract the biggest audience to the game. And that is what they should do. But if the end result of that is a game that doesn't interest me, I am not going to waste my free time or my money playing it. In the mean time I will continue to give my opinion on what I hope to see.

For you, it's "go back to older editions" full stop.

Well 4e is also soon to be an older edition. Older doesn't mean worse. However this is not what I am asking for. I understand things will be streamlined and changed (their ideas for baking skills into attributes interests me...but the execution is critical if they want consistent and believable results, so will wait and see what it looks like). What we are getting will not be AD&D or 3E. That isn't what I expect, but I do expect the core system to have a much more classic design than 4E. So in that sense I do want something older I suppose (and if my tastes are old school to others i don't think I need to appologize for that).

I mean 4e never really appealed to me so naturally i am not going to be interested in 4e design components making it into core. There may be some things. While the way 4e did balance isn't my cup of tea, they are clearly taking a page from it with their three pillars approach (this still has a 4e underinnign to it but is a bit more flexible and broad from the sound of it). I expect we may see some 4e races and classes (though i do think the warlord will be a tough sell in core for pre 4e fans).

But this edition is going to be something of a reaction to 4e. The danger of that is they will go to far. I do think 4e was a reaction to 3e and went too farl when fourth ediiton was planned, I was excited because some of the balance issues and the emphasis on system mastery/optimization was bothering mel so I was very open to a more contained system. But 4e was so different, so focused on parity, and had so many parts that messed with my style, tthat I couldn't get into it. So while they should take a lesson from the excesses of 4e, perhaps where I agree with you is that lesson shouldn't be used to excuse the excesses of prior editions (i.e. 4e is too focused on balance, so any balance is bad).

fenriswolf456

First Post
Hit points in prior editions have always been defined as a mixture of physical wounds, and other stuff (vitality, fatigue, morale, whatever). It was definitely a mixture though and not purely non-physical. The hero was assumed to be able to fight through his wounds because he was a hero. That was the 1e,2e,3e D&D definition. This definition precludes saying only the last hit point is physical too.

The problem with 4e martial healing is it can't explain the physical part. It works 100% of the time and we know that some percentage of damage greater than 0% is physical. That part cannot be explained by martial healing.

It can and has been explained by others, in that it doesn't _need_ to heal the physical part. Gritting your teeth and bearing the pain. Summoning the mental fortitude to outright ignore the physcial 'wound'. It's often the immediate pain and shock to the system from physical wounds that hit us, but our minds and bodies soon adapt to the pain. Think of hitting your thumb with a hammer, it hurts like hell. You're hopping around, possibly cursing up a storm, and certainly not up for more hammering. Then your SO comes over and gives you a comforting pat and some soothing words and it suddenly becomes more bearable. It's not like your bruised thumb is suddenly healed. But you can go right back to hammering.

It's fair if it breaks your believability scale, everyone has their own thoughts on how things work for them. Similarly, a vast pool of purely physical HPs that gets bigger and bigger as you level breaks things for me and others. Why should a sword that nearly gutted me at first level suddenly not do that as soon as I gain a few levels? If HP are all meat with no intangible qualities associated with it, then even mundane weapon damage should scale with character level.

Second. I think morale is a crazy measure. So when the dragon hits you with a fear effect and you fail your save and are running for your life how many hit points of damage did you take. Unless the dragon breaths or attacks in some other way you took no damage. The game is rife with examples of physical attacks being the only way to reduce these supposedly morale based hit points. Also when you go down, you are unconscious. Not in shock, not dazed or stunned or anything else. You are out. A martial healer healing you from this state is completely unbelievable.

Except, at least in 4E, there are non-physical damage sources now. Heck, Bard's specifically attack by doing morale damage. Star pact warlocks attack sanity. Psionic classes attack emotions. It's not like a bandage can fix that. And it's not a dichotomy, physical and morale, but is also meant to encompass skill, luck, fate, endurance, and so on.

And countless heroes have been brought back from the brink of death by words and emotions and other non-magical means. Why is it suddenly impossible to believe in a game, and a fantasy game at that?

The solution:
We all want a game we can play. If I can't rid the game of healing surges and martial dailies with very minimal effort I won't bother. How that is accomplished can be debated. I believe though a lot more people want traditional hit points than 4e's version of them. I feel the 3e/Pathfinder group and the 1e/2e group in combination are bigger than the 4e group.

So let's just advocate for a system that can cleanly play both ways if surges/martial dailes really are necessary for the 4e crowd. (Personally I think even half those people would gladly toss them.)

Perhaps, but for me, I'm happy with surges and how they function. Recovery of surges, well, that's more an issue.

And it's a lot easier to take something out than to stick something in. But I can see surges being completely optional. Turn them off and bang, you have pre-4E HP. I don't see how it can get much easier than that. Can't abide martial healing, then don't use the Warlord. But why make it so that for those who like Warlords, can't play them because they're not part of the game any more?

Hussar, i said already, the easiest way is to have surges as an optional ad on. It is like i said before, i am not interested in 4e elements like HS (i dont want mundane heals like that in my game and like i said before my big concern is believability but i also dislike the mechanic itself). My hope is for 5e to fee more like D&D again to me. Stuff like HS and 4e powers dont achieve that IMO. If they decide to cater more to 4e fans by packing the core system with those things, i am fine with that--i have others games i am playing---but i am not interested in paying D&D if they continue on the path of 4E style innovation. From the beginning i have said i dont think you can bring 4e players and pre 4e players to the same table. You can bring them to the same system, provided there are enough options for each side to create the experience it wants.

If the system is going to be modular as planned, I would think all of this could be achieved. Healing Surges could be entirely optional. Powers can also be an optional on or off module. The same for Feats and Skills and so on. In fact, they'd have to be if the design intent is to be able to emulate the various editions.

But I believe it should be in the core, so that the players who do want to use whichever parts, can. And if it doesn't suit the playstyle for you and/or your group, turn off the stuff that doesn't work for you. Personally, having options and then limiting them is more preferrable than not having the option in the first place.

1) In practice (not in theory, but in actual play) how often do you see martial healing powers healing someone up to full hit points? I have to admit that I, personally, don't find some problems worth worrying about if they *might* happen, but in practice isn't too common. I accept a design that has the occasional edge-case that I have to wave my hands over. Others, I know, are really bothered by theoretical issues.

All the time? My current playgroup has a Warlord for a leader and our only source of healing. So for prolonged short rests, we make multiple use of Inspiring Word.

Am I okay with that? Sure am. Especially as I'm playing a Swordmage who is a devoted soldier of Bahamut, trained in Endurance and is totally in tune with pushing herself beyond limits to get the job done.

Is martial healing in practice everywhere? No, given all the other leaders, the bulk of parties probably never even see a warlord, much less be healed by one.

But I agree with your thoughts on this. If a class doesn't work for a group, it's not going to be played, and so is really a moot point.

I don't understand refusing a game outright based on one particular element of it, like a race or class. I can see how people could balk at more underlying structural component, like HP being more explicitly a combination of physical and non-physical elements, especially combined with the rapid return of healing surges. It can give the game a different feel.

Hopefully with the modularity of 5E, it will end up being possible to dial in the type of gamestyle you want to play.

Tallifer

Hero
Definitive proof of healing surges at work.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adVOWBDM-_8]Inigo Montoya find the six fingered man - YouTube[/ame]

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Awesome scene. Healing surges do model this. So does a "second wind" mechanic. So does a stunned condition that lasts a few rounds. However we go mechanically, I do want the possibility of this scene to unfold naturally in the game. As always, play what you like :)

BryonD

Hero
IMO surges take that scene and mug it in a back alley for spare change.

That scene is an awesome climactic event. It is literally the culmination this character's life quest.

A precious and highly limited resource, such as Action Points, works perfectly for this.

If he had surged and jumped back up four other times so far today (and 3 yesterday, just once the day before, and five the day before that) then the entire drama of it happening then would be gone.

Izumi

First Post
IMO surges take that scene and mug it in a back alley for spare change.

That scene is an awesome climactic event. It is literally the culmination this character's life quest.

A precious and highly limited resource, such as Action Points, works perfectly for this.

If he had surged and jumped back up four other times so far today (and 3 yesterday, just once the day before, and five the day before that) then the entire drama of it happening then would be gone.

Hey Bry! That's just a normal hp loss with a good player. You don't need unnecessary mechanics for that scene.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Once just the day before - the Man in Black KOed him, and he got up and walked away. And said Man In Black did spend the day mostly dead...

More seriously, though, how much of this is the mechanic, and how much the adventure design? If you only have a few, big, difficult, climatic fights, then you'll only see this happen in those few climatic fights. If you have the PCs duking it out every third room, risking their life and limb four times a day, you will see them bounce back three of those times. Or, you know, they just die....

BryonD

Hero
Once just the day before - the Man in Black KOed him, and he got up and walked away.
Not quite the same as being virtually dead (or mostly dead).

And said Man In Black did spend the day mostly dead...
Again, that would CLEARLY be an action point moment in a game as I run them. If surges cover this then it could happen over and over over DAILY.

More seriously, though, how much of this is the mechanic, and how much the adventure design? If you only have a few, big, difficult, climatic fights, then you'll only see this happen in those few climatic fights. If you have the PCs duking it out every third room, risking their life and limb four times a day, you will see them bounce back three of those times. Or, you know, they just die....
There are a lot of fights in that movie. He didn't link the movie. He linked that one climatic moment.

In that scene a virtually killed "fighter" sprung back under his own power and through sheer mojo. I completely accept that in a vacuum this scene fits the surge model.

But in RPGs with fights in every third room the PCs can be expected to not be "virtually dead" over and over. Plus there are plenty of "bounce back" options that don't require a total lack of cause for the recovery.

I LOVE those moments when the character just springs back. (Trinity talking Neo back in The Matrix [good movie, wonder why they never did a sequel] occurs to me off the cuff). But those are once in a plot arc events, not 5 times a day events.

That is the difference to me.

Tony Vargas

Legend
D&D characters have always done things 5 times a day (if not 5 times a combat) that actual genre characters might do only a couple of times in an entire story arc. Like cast spells, for instance.

All 4e did was get serious about class balance. If casters' only use of magic was at a dramatic, climatic moment once in a while, then non-casters could get by rallying from near death only once in a while, too.

But D&D is turned up to '11.' D&D doesn't emulate a fantasy setting, it pulls the craziest bits from every fantasy genre anyone working on it has ever heard of, and no small amount of superheroes and science fiction to go with it. At first, it pulled all that stuff and gave it to casters. 4e finally spread the fun around.

Aside from that, it's what D&D has always been - and probably should remain. Just with the martial types getting to have their fun, too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases