What are good spells or feats to complement Summoning spells?

gfunk

First Post
My Sor 12 has Summon Monster VI and IV. What would be some good feats/spells to complement summoning? Some obvious choices would be Augment Summmoning or the Extra Spell feat. I was thinking of taking Simbul's Spell Matrix (5th) so that I could cast a buffing spell on my summoned creature as a free action right after I summon it (e.g. haste, fly, see invisibility).

Any feats or spells (5th or lower) from an official Wizards' product would be fine.

Thanks!

StealthyMark

First Post
Buffing your summoned monsters is not very effective if
- your party fellows are not buffed
- your enemies are able to dispel your critters
Very often, summoned creatures stay only a few rounds and it would be better to cast other (pseudo-quickened) spells.

Anyway, Simbul's Spell Matrix/Sequencer/Trigger are really good spells. Consider Tongues to let your critters perform specific tasks for you (setting of traps, flying you somewhere, tracking, healing...).

reapersaurus

First Post
some of the only stuff I've seen that enhances Summoning spells is the Summoning Presige Domain in DotF (not applicable for your sorcerer, of course) and a few things in The Book of Eldritch Might.

Aziraphale

First Post
reapersaurus said:
some of the only stuff I've seen that enhances Summoning spells is the Summoning Presige Domain in DotF (not applicable for your sorcerer, of course)

I seem to recall that sorcerors can qualify for the Contemplative prestige class and add the Summoning domain to their arcane spells. IDHTBIFOM, of course.

One of the best feats for Summoners can be Extend Spell, if you want your monsters to hang around for a longer combat...

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
There's nothing stopping sorcerers from taking the Contemplative prestige class - but it requires 13 ranks in a skill that's c/c for sorcerers...

Malin Genie

First Post
The Augment Summoning Feat (as you mentioned) is great for sorceror summoners, as it gives a bonus to summoned creatures without costing any extra spell levels or requiring a full-round casting (it's general, not metamagic.)

Consider taking the emotion spell. It gives a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage if used for courage, and it is quite versatile: if you haven't got allies or summoned critters around it can still be used for love, fear etc

If you have haste (and what sorceror doesn't) you could take the chain spell Feat. Not only can it be used with offensive spells, but it can turn a haste into a mass haste, affecting your allies as well as all your summoned critters.

Urbanmech

Explorer
There is one problem with extending the summon spells, it effectively weakens the creatures you can summon. Usually combats don't last more than 8-10 rounds unless it is a huge battle. Using extend on your summons is good for out of combat and you want to use your summoned creatures for something else. Why have a celestial ape for 16 rounds when you could have a celestial dire ape or 1-3 regular apes for 8 rounds?

As for the feat question, Augment summoning from Tome and Blood is good, but so is Conjure Mastery from Monte Cook's Book of Eldtrich Might. You need to have at least a 17 charisma to take Conjure Mastery though, but since you are a sorcerer I don't see this as being an issue.

The suggestion to go Conteplative for the summoning domain is a good idea but it has one problem. Contemplative levels only add to divine spellcasting levels, so you would get access to the domain power but none of the domain spells except the low level ones. "If the contemplative did not previously belong to a divine spellcasting class, she gains the ability to cast divine spells exactly as a cleric of her patron diety. Her spell progressin is the same as that of a cleric."

The above quote is taken from Defenders of Faith by Rich Redman and James Wyatt.

Remove ads