The Sky is Not Falling

Status
Not open for further replies.

gweinel

Explorer
I agree with the OT. After seeing play test 1.0 I believe the team is on to something really good .

which playtest? the one that is likely to change after monte's depart?

(many here have posted the change of the developers during the last 2 month)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Er... what was your last word on the previous topic? "[/threadjack]"? It reads "we better move back to the original topic here" to me, so I was just agreeing with you, not calling you to stop.

My saying that was a personal note, as in "sorry, done threadjacking now." It wasn't externally directed.

Ok then, the controversial part on FW ending in my opinion was more than the faction's ending. I've read people saying that The Lady should never step in and make a Dabus speak in the name of her. And I'm not alone on this opinion.

As for "controversial", my web access is kinda limited but DVD and FW were always subject of discussion: Did the Faction War and Vecna kill Planescape? | Planewalker

Which is sort of what I was trying to indicate - the adventure can't be called objectively bad, but rather some people seem to think that anything that impacts the "central" themes/ideas/tropes of a setting is somehow ruining it. I disagree.

I'm sure you'll be able to find topics of people saying they refuse to DM post FW games, the same way some people refuses to DM post Time of Troubles FR games.

I have the same reaction to those people as well (but don't get me started on the Spellplague). :p

Crossover comic books? Man, now you really want to get into stormy waters :) JLA/Avengers is not my cup of tea... the last crossover I really liked was X-Men vs Teen Titans...

Now that one I don't have! Time to go shopping.

NewJeffCT

First Post
If you don't like the new lamprey pie, because it's not just like the old dish, go to the place that makes the one you like. Maybe the new pie will be the best ever, may be it'll give you the :):):):):):)s for 3 days. You'll never know unless you try.

Each chef has had their share of inspired plates and each has had their Waterloo. If you hate anything the place has served lately and don't hold any hopes for improvement, walk. I'll give the establishment a shot, I don't care about the cooks, I care about the meal.

But, the new lamprey pie contains Freys...

;)

Gundark

Explorer
which playtest? the one that is likely to change after monte's depart?

(many here have posted the change of the developers during the last 2 month)

Why is the playtest likely to change? Has someone stated something that I unaware of?

Gundark

Explorer
You can SAY the sky isn't falling, but when the one guy you think you can trust to not let 5e become 4.5e leaves the design team?

That's a big ol' chunk of sky beginning it's descent.

And for the extra kick in the twig and berries, it's been less than 24 hours, and we are already back to discussing healing surges in the blog articles.
My expectations for the next edition are pretty low, my interest is waning and I have the sinking feeling that it will be another edition of D&D: Tactics

You making some big assumption leaps without any knowledge. Why would WotC talk about making 5e feel like other editions. Then do a public playtest and give people PLENTY of time to complain about the lack of (insert my favourite edition here) in 5e. Which will give people PLENTY of time to vote with their wallets....And THEN do a bait and switch and then give you a 4e variant.

It's in their interest to make sure this edition appeals to the non-4e fans as well as the 4e fans

kevtar

First Post
This.

The lead designer left.
The link between 5E and 2E/3E left.

This is clearly not a good sign, like him or not.

I don't get the same feeling simply because each of the designers on the team have played the earlier editions of the game (either growing up with D&D or in their personal time as adults, and as Mearls mentioned as part of their job when trying to determine "what is" D&D). I'm partial to the belief that, while they may have also designed 4e, their intent in drawing upon the good of earlier editions and taking player feedback into consideration from a public playtest, provides a much more compelling narrative for their approach to 5e than simply being part of the design for 4e.

kevtar

First Post
You can SAY the sky isn't falling, but when the one guy you think you can trust to not let 5e become 4.5e leaves the design team?

That's a big ol' chunk of sky beginning it's descent.

And for the extra kick in the twig and berries, it's been less than 24 hours, and we are already back to discussing healing surges in the blog articles.
My expectations for the next edition are pretty low, my interest is waning and I have the sinking feeling that it will be another edition of D&D: Tactics

Monte did mention that the problem was with the "company" and not with the designers or any one individual. He made no mention of a disagreement with a game mechanic or anything like that. I'm partial to believe that this is a business issue rather than a design issue. As far as the "healing surge" article, the content for the website is planned well in advance. The healing surge article is a coincidence and not an indication of "Whew, now Monte's gone we can talk about healing surges!"

That, and I doubt that Monte was the ONLY Basic/1e/2e/3e-influenced designer on the team. I'm sure one of the reasons he was brought on for the design was because when people hear "Monte Cook" they think of "old school" - but that doesn't mean that all that is "old school" leaves with Monte. If the team is truly driven to take the best of all existing editions of D&D and player feedback from public playtests, then the departure of a designer - even a lead team designer, is not as serious as it may seem. It is a team after all. I'm sure the team has goals and will continue to work with those goals in mind until the release of the game no matter who is the team lead.

wrightdjohn

Explorer
I've just decided that if 5e is a warmed over 4e that I'm not going to buy it. I'm cutting the cord with WOTC forever. I will seek another RPG and not look back. I'm giving them one edition but not two. Monte leaving makes me think this possibility is greater but since we get a playtest that is a feeling that I'll confirm or rebut on May 24th and after.

I'm one of those guys that owns every edition out of nostalgia. Even though I'll never play 4e again (well unless it involves someone pointing a gun at me) I still own the books. But WOTC as a business has been making me ever more angry of late. So I've decided to really vote with my wallet. If this game is not good I'm not buying it.

Derren

Hero
And with that it is pretty much ensured that 5E will fail like 4E did.

To be honest, the whole idea to reconcile 3E and 4E players was silly to begin with. They are so far apart from each other and often diametrically opposed that it would be nearly impossible to create a product which will be liked by both. Much more likely the result would be hated by both as it contains so many rules reach group dislikes.

So it seems WotC has decided to keep the 4E crowd and declare all 3E players as being lost to Pathfinder. Thats the most likely reason why they mobbed Monte out.

See what happened with the Dragon Age video games.
The first game was a fully fleshed out RPG and generally well received. But during the development Brent Knowles, the lead designer left for pretty much the same reasons as Monte stated here. And what happened? Dragon Age 2 became a pure hack and slash with a uninteresting story and failed miserably.

4E is already imo this boring Hack&Slash and by Monte leaving it shows that WotC has no intention to change that. So bye bye D&D, it was a good run before they made you a dungeon H&S game where nothing but combat matters with a board game spinoff.

Last edited:

mcintma

First Post
My read on this, until proven otherwise, is that Monte's departure from 5e is a huge win for both 4e fans and Paizo.

'Unification' now seems a remote possibility to me now, were I a betting man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads