DCC Character Levels vs DnD Levels

DimitriX

First Post
WotC: "You see in our system all of the character levels go to 30. Look, right across the board 30, 30, 30 and.."

DCC: "Oh, I see. And older systems just went up to 10."

WotC: "Exactly."

DCC: "Does that mean it's more epic? Is it any 'epic-ier'?"

WotC: "Well, it's 20 more epic, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most systems, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your character sheet. Where can you go from there? Where?"

DCC: "I don't know."

WotC: "Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?"

DCC: "Put it up to 30."

WotC: "30. Exactly. 20 more epic."

DCC: "Why don't you just make 10 more epic and make 10 be the top number and make that more epic?"

WotC: [pauses and looks confused] "These go to 30."

Kantru

First Post
Appears to be a parody of the scene in This Is Spinal Tap where Nigel Tufnel explains to Rob Reiner why their amps all go to 11.

I think it's both.

I wouldn't be surprised if WotC divided the game into tiers so a DM could say "I won't run epic" without alienating too many players. (Contrast with a DM who refuses to run past the sweet spot in 3.x, which for some DMs is 8th-level.) 30 would be a convenient number, being divisible by 3, but also giving players a lot of room within a tier.

DimitriX

First Post
Well, it's both and neither. DCC is a new system put out by Goodman Games that tries to capture the old school DnD but use some newer design ideas (sound familiar?). I was reading through the pre-order pdf and noticed that the highest levels are 10, but they describe this as being a super epic, demigod, plane hopping type level. Which, I thought made a lot of sense because then you can still have the epic game without ridiculously high numbers for attack bonuses and ACs. In a game with 30 levels, you need those kinds of numbers. When I realized this, the scene from Spinal Tap sprang to mind.

underfoot007ct

First Post
Well, it's both and neither. DCC is a new system put out by Goodman Games that tries to capture the old school DnD but use some newer design ideas (sound familiar?). I was reading through the pre-order pdf and noticed that the highest levels are 10, but they describe this as being a super epic, demigod, plane hopping type level. Which, I thought made a lot of sense because then you can still have the epic game without ridiculously high numbers for attack bonuses and ACs. In a game with 30 levels, you need those kinds of numbers. When I realized this, the scene from Spinal Tap sprang to mind.

If this is a Goodman Games product post, having nothing to do with 4E. Then why is this posted in the 4E forums?

Dice4Hire

First Post
Maybe not an Epic Fail, but a fail of a humor post.

Personally, I think it is time to stop comparing games and using that to make fun of one of them.

Remove ads