Dave Arneson's Personal RPG Collection For Auction - Page 2

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Incenjucar View Post
    I hope this doesn't mean that the heirs are in any kind of financial trouble.
    Sadly, it appears it's not even his heirs that are going to get any money from this.

"All these items were once written, crafted or owned by Dave Arneson, gaming legend and co-creator of D&D. But when Arneson died in 2009, his personal archives and game collection become lost. In 2011, they were found, in an abandoned storage locker in Minnesota"

"“An unforeseen turn of events” is how Paul J. Stormberg, founder of The Collector’s Trove, an Omaha-based online auction agent, described how his company came to auction the items. “The management of the collection apparently became too much for Dave’s heirs to handle and they abandoned it in a storage locker.” The storage facility’s owner tried to contact the heirs to no avail, leaving the “fate of the collection in the hands of others.”

Then, “like an episode of Storage Wars or Auction Hunters,” Stromberg said, “the owner of the storage facility followed the business’ standard protocol of auctioning the locker’s contents.” A local auction company won the bid and took possession of the collection, but its “enormity and eclectic nature” baffled them. They finally contacted Michael Cox, owner and operator of an online gaming store called The Dragon’s Trove."

GeekDad Exclusive: Auction Preview of D&D Co-Creator's Personal Collection and Archives -- Game's Secrets to Be Revealed | GeekDad | Wired.com

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

ø Ignore Gentlegamer
    This should be in a museum!

I'm not kidding.
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

ø Ignore qstor
    Yeah Duke should do something good and add it to their collection

The Escapist : RPG exhibit at Duke University

Mike
    "I am a Ranger. We walk in the dark places no others will enter. We stand on the bridge and no one may pass. We live for The One. We die for The One." Marcus, Babylon 5

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

ø Ignore Loonook
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post

There are about 10,000 items in total, and the series of eBay auctions will begin on Sunday, May 6th.
    • [B]A set of lead crystal goblets etched with Arneson’s family heraldry.
    • A model ship made of metal.
    • Arneson’s locked briefcase (contents unrevealed).
    Sounds like Arneson may have left behind a few items of importance... But I have to say that these three items should be carefully monitored... I mean, you come across that sort of thing with a bunch of texts discussing magic and mysticism, you start wondering... .

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    This should be in a museum!

I'm not kidding.
    Reminds me of this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrq0w2m1Zh4]Indiana Jones WKUK - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Jupp View Post
    While I will certainly try to get my hands on some of the items I really would prefer if there were some kind of RPG museum that would gather the most relevant items to be preserved and shown to the interested public. Given the history of roleplaying games I was always wondering why such a museum does not exist already in the US. RPGs had such a big cultural impact in the States. One wonders.
    These kinds of things cost money. Lots of it. And trained personal to maintain the collections against damage and time. It isn't that big of a mystery why it hasn't happened.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson 18th century English author.

"Everything must be at once for six month old puppies, 6 year old children and gamers of any age"

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

GM's Day CMG

ø Ignore Mark CMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    Arneson’s locked briefcase (contents unrevealed)

I wonder if he packed a lunch.
    Fighting Fire - Ernie Gygax Relief Fund

Please, help boost the signal!

http://tinyurl.com/gygaxrelief

As always,
    Mark CMG
    CreativeMountainGames.com

Community Supporter
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore jmucchiello
    This has to be the most depressing news article I've read on this site in a couple years. The fact that the money is just going to some nobody's pocket... The fact that many of these items will most likely vanish into some "collector's" private stash... Ugh... Nothing about this article is good news.
    Joe Mucchiello, Head Honcho at Throwing Dice Games (Mostly defunct)
    Priority One: Fatherhood.
    Priority Two: Sanity.
    Down on the list: seemingly real close to releasing a notebook essential. Haven't looked at it in... years? How did years go by?

"I've never heard of the term Flavor lawyer..." -- Scribble

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    A lot of that stuff ought to be in a museum or archive.
    I agree. Especially the unpublished manuscripts. I feel kinda sad that these are going to be scattered to the four winds. Too bad the Arneson Estate doesn't cherish Blackmoor as Christopher Tolkien did Middle-earth.

We need an Tabletop RPG Museum and Archive somewhere, with one priority being to gather Gygax's and Arneson's manuscripts.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Bovine View Post
    These kinds of things cost money. Lots of it. And trained personal to maintain the collections against damage and time. It isn't that big of a mystery why it hasn't happened.
    It's not a mystery, but the same is true for the many other authors or fields of interest which do have a devoted archive and museum.

Would the Game Manufacturers Association and WotC (in the name of the RPGA) step up?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast