D&D 4E Desired 4E program?

RurouniQ

Explorer
So I'm teaching myself programming, and would like a project to work on from start to finish, i.e. an actual program to develop. I realize this sounds like a noob sort of thing, but hear me out.

The problem is, I need inspiration. I have ideas for projects that would be better suited as a second or third project, because they involve things like 3D modeling or lots of networking, but no ideas that would be good for a first project.

So the question I'm asking is this:

If you all could have a Windows/Mac program to do some kind of 4E functionality, what would you want?

AcBetts

First Post
4eTurnTracker pretty much does everything I want as a DM game wise... something simmilar to Softrope that works on a Mac as well would be really nice. Softrope is an audio mixing program thats been abandoned by the looks of it so it'll never be finished. I could even help by putting together some sample soundsets if you like. I was a sound engineer for awhile.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I want something that will allow me to extract all the data from the Compendium and have it as a back-up file for when WotC eventually shuts the 4E tools down (I know they said they won't but, with two rounds of retrenchments every year, it won't be long before there is nobody there who remembers the promise that was made).

Similarly, I would love offline clones of the Character Builder and Monster Builder that draw from WotC's data files (and for the same reason given in the previous paragraph).

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=68377]RurouniQ[/MENTION]
Some kind of treasure parcel generator based on Rules Compendium would make a feasible and useful learning project.

Rune

Once A Fool
How about a random power generator?

The user types in a class/role and the generator creates a power, assigns it a type (daily, encounter, at-will) and level. And a name.

Alternatively, the user could type in the level and frequency-type, as well as the class/role.

Not a very useful application, perhaps, but probably very amusing.

Ferghis

First Post
4eTurnTracker pretty much does everything I want as a DM game wise... something simmilar to Softrope that works on a Mac as well would be really nice. Softrope is an audio mixing program thats been abandoned by the looks of it so it'll never be finished. I could even help by putting together some sample soundsets if you like. I was a sound engineer for awhile.
I, on the other hand, have not found an initiative tracker that does everything I want. Here's what I'd like:
  • An initiative tracker that players can manage.
  • On which players can track the damage they've done to enemies.
  • On which players can load up the effects of their powers BEFORE a game (e.g. Astral Seal: enemy has -2 defenses UENT; until then, first ally to hit enemy heals X HP).
  • That will automatically roll saves for effects that saves end.
  • That will automatically remove effects that have a static duration when they expire.
  • That allows applying and removing effects and conditions with a simple UI: ideally, tap and hold a button which expands into a broad menu of premade-effects and conditions, drag the selection over the actor it applies to, release to reveal a list of durations if it is not pre-determined by the effect, click/tap to determine duration.
  • Have effect durations listed visually, and allow their duration to be extended.

Unwise

Adventurer
How about a program that can look at a MM1 stat block and automatically update the math to MM3+ ?

4th edition has some pretty standard layouts and expressions. I think it would be relatively easy to work out what is an attack and what is not.

Also, if it sees "brute" in the top right section and "level 15" in the top left section, then it knows that when it sees an attack the + to hit should be at least X amount. If it is not, it changes it up.

I would love to be able to copy/paste or scan page with a monster on it and have it spit out the updated stats.

Ferghis

First Post
How about a program that can look at a MM1 stat block and automatically update the math to MM3+ ?
OOOH, yes, this! Good call.

The initiative tracker I described would be much more work, which would delay availability of the product, so I would rather have Unwise's thing.

[MENTION=68377]RurouniQ[/MENTION]

There is already a good treasure generator, and I like the idea of updating a monster to mm3 math. You could import xml files and export an updated file. Potentially even scale up levels and roles.

That would be a useful program and would require relatively simple programming toools.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

D'karr

Adventurer
I would like a program that takes the format for a Character Stat Block/Sheet and turns it into a Monster Stat Block Format. So that all the triggered powers are neatly together, all the standard actions are neatly together, etc.

Or one that adds more output formats to the Character Builder files.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases