okay, so I was just reading the Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea World Guide and it mentions something in the section on Elves that brought back an old memory from back in the day when I used to play Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition.

This reference was their mention of a sub-race of Elves known as "Aquatic Elves" who aside from the following differenes are virtually identical to traditional elves:

• They have to have the aquatic sub-type.
  • They have the amphibious special quality.
  • They have a swim speed of 30 feet (same land speed as a normal elf).
  • They replace the standard Elf weapon familiarity with the following weapons: Rapier's, Short Swords, Tridents, and any weapon with the word "Elven" in the name.

In effect these Elves are the classic Aquatic Elf that was present in Dungeons and Dragons 2nd Edition, and featured prominently in the Dragonlance Novels. I was wondering, since we have Mermaids, would it be so far fetched to assume that we also have Aquatic Elves in the oceans of our game world? I am not asking whether it would be possible to add these as a player character race necessarily, but rather just for the possibility of adding them as a tool for Dungeon Masters if they so wish it.

Reference Material was found on page 25 of the Inner Sea World Guide.