Save or suck Medusa petrification

Did anyone else happen to notice the "0 hp = suck" rules?

It's either avoid reaching 0 hp or you're knocked out of the combat. "0 hp = suck" ruined more than a few games for me in the past.
I assume this is a facetious comment, trying to imply that those who don't like SoD effects can't handle not being able to win all the time? If not, please correct me, but that's the only reading I can arrive at.

Hit point loss is not binary - that's the difference, of course. You typically have decision points along the way. If you lose some HP, you have various ways you can deal with that, or you can choose to continue on without them. Strict SoD, on the other hand, is one roll and you're out, sometimes without warning.

That's the difference.

IronWolf

blank
Hit point loss is not binary - that's the difference, of course. You typically have decision points along the way. If you lose some HP, you have various ways you can deal with that, or you can choose to continue on without them. Strict SoD, on the other hand, is one roll and you're out, sometimes without warning.

I don't mind SoD in my games, though I do like for games that use SoD to have some form of action point or hero point mechanic. To me it offers the way out if the rolls are going really bad without having to tweak a lot of spells to "lighten" them up a bit.

Of course a critter could still hit you with a couple SoD effects right away and deplete your action points, but sometimes the heroes just aren't meant to win.

Walking Dad

First Post
Why?

Raises fist and cries out at the sky "Damn you Olgar Shiverstone"
Because he can plan the timing of his adventure. And how much treasure the PCs end u with after the adventure. Just going in, rust monster random encounter, main armor and weapon destroyed and the fighter will call it a day before the wizard can.

IronWolf

blank
Because he can plan the timing of his adventure. And how much treasure the PCs end u with after the adventure. Just going in, rust monster random encounter, main armor and weapon destroyed and the fighter will call it a day before the wizard can.

A planned rust monster encounter would be fine though, right? You would just rather not see a rust monster as a random encounter?

Sadras

Legend
Because he can plan the timing of his adventure. And how much treasure the PCs end u with after the adventure.

That doesnt seem like a strong argument not to include the random element of equipment destruction by a die roll. What about "PC death" by random die roll, does that disturb your sense of DM planning and PC treasure-distribution balance or does that also have to be planned and part of a story?

Just going in, rust monster random encounter, main armor and weapon destroyed and the fighter will call it a day before the wizard can.

So you believe in encounter balance and anything that upsets the apple cart like a Rust Monster is a no-no? What if the Rust Monster is not a random monster - but designed within adventure? Also its not always necessary to kill every beast a party sees. They could go around it; trick it; bar it from them; use fire to force it away; any other wonderful and creative methods to 'defeat' it, but to simply say no Rust Monster because I want my fighter to not lose his sword, well then it seems you place greater value on the equipment than character/team roleplay and problem solving.

Imaro

Legend
permanent or temporary level drain?

And destroying the groups gear should be based on the story and the DM decision, not by a roll.

Uhm... what about sandbox campaigns? You're assuming everyone uses and enjoys the same playstyle (pre-planned story) as you... you really shouldn't.

Walking Dad

First Post
Uhm... what about sandbox campaigns? You're assuming everyone uses and enjoys the same playstyle (pre-planned story) as you... you really shouldn't.
And others shouldn't assume that everyone does sandbox style.

And yes, I dislike PCs dying by a random die roll. I play mostly PbP, which means the player is out of the game for a month at least, even if a new character is reintroduced at the earliest opportunity.
I also like to fit my games to the players backgrounds. With enough players gone, the story isn't going to work.
I always roll open and never fudge rolls, so I look for rules that also support my preferred style of play.

Remove ads