Run It

Evilusion

First Post
I going to try to run it as is myself. Not sure if my players will let me. I have 2 players that like to read all the rules then make changes based on what they feel is over powered or under powered.

While I do get pissed at that a lot, they then to find flaws in any game system really quick.

Doug McCrae

Legend
According to Paizo, about half of their customers don't play rpgs actively any more - they buy their products purely to read. The same could well be true of D&DNext. There could be a lot of people out there who care about D&D - and are potential customers - but don't actually play it.

I haven't played or run an rpg myself for about six months, tbh.

Mengu

First Post
Exactly. WotC isn't forcing anyone to playtest, so if you don't feel you can properly playtest the materials provided, don't.

I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here, don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing how things work at the table. But my definition of "properly" may not be the same as yours or Kamikaze Midget's. There just isn't "one right way" to play D&D.

variant

Adventurer
I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here, don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing how things work at the table. But my definition of "properly" may not be the same as yours or Kamikaze Midget's. There just isn't "one right way" to play D&D.

There is one right way to playtest though.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

That may be true about D&D, but play testing is about working out kinks in the rules and testing them out. How can you properly play test the rules if you're changing them?

FickleGM

Explorer
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the assumption is that our feedback will mean something. That feedback is going to be looked at as though we used what they provided. I want them to get quality feedback, whether we love it or hate it.

Mengu

First Post
Nice chorus line... Should I just take my feedback and bury it in the backyard then? I don't want to pollute anyone else's D&D.

One of the playtest experiences I read here, said that the DM hand waved a dead cleric to life at full hit points. Does this invalidate the entire experience? Does it mean that group's feedback is worthless because they didn't play by the rules? The rules say death happens, make it part of the story. This group played it like it never happened. Should these sinners be hanged? Or drawn and quartered?

It's a game. We're not testing radioactive chemicals that might result in a nuclear catastrophe if mishandled. Everyone will test however they want to test, many will not play it at all, just give it a read, and provide their feedback. It's not like we've been sworn to a prime directive we must adhere to, or else suffer the consequences of a court marshal.

FickleGM

Explorer
Nice chorus line... Should I just take my feedback and bury it in the backyard then? I don't want to pollute anyone else's D&D.

One of the playtest experiences I read here, said that the DM hand waved a dead cleric to life at full hit points. Does this invalidate the entire experience? Does it mean that group's feedback is worthless because they didn't play by the rules? The rules say death happens, make it part of the story. This group played it like it never happened. Should these sinners be hanged? Or drawn and quartered?

It's a game. We're not testing radioactive chemicals that might result in a nuclear catastrophe if mishandled. Everyone will test however they want to test, many will not play it at all, just give it a read, and provide their feedback. It's not like we've been sworn to a prime directive we must adhere to, or else suffer the consequences of a court marshal.
You're funny, I like you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases