What's your gaming history before coming to 3e?

What's your D&D history look like?

• 3e D&D was the first version of D&D I played (whether or not I've played other RPGs)

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • I started with 2nd edition AD&D, and now play 3e

Votes: 68 19.2%
  • I started with 1st edition AD&D (or earlier), moved to 2nd edition, and now play 3e

Votes: 147 41.5%
  • I started with 1st edition D&D (or earlier), [b]didn't[/b] play (or gave up on) 2nd edition, and now

Votes: 104 29.4%
  • I started with 1st or 2nd edition D&D (or earlier), and [b]still[/b] play the older edition instead

Votes: 11 3.1%

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm curious how many people here came to the game from previous editions and other RPGs, and how many started fresh with 3e. I'm also curious about how many people were brought back into roleplaying or D&D by the advent of 3rd edition. Want to weigh in? :D

Note this only takes into account your history with D&D, and doesn't account for folks who started playing other RPGs (such as White Wolf) and then came to D&D. Please answer in terms of which edition of D&D you started with.

As usual, if your situation isn't accurately reflected by the poll choices, please answer the poll as accurately as you can and comment below! And thanks.

DispelAkimbo

Explorer
Actually first got involved in role-playing via MUDs at University. Played on Discworld and New Moon for a good while (Username: Fatty), then another student offered to run a 2nd edition game for us 'mudders' and it soon became a regular thing.

We then stuck with 2nd edition unilt 3rd was out and havent looked back since.

johnsemlak

First Post
I started with Basic, moved to 1e, then to 2e, didn't play for a long time, then finally started 3e this year.

I don't really consider myself to have played 2e, though. Just one short campaign in the early nineties. Plus, we never really thought of ourselves as playing a separate, newer, edition. Also, I never got into any of the player's option rules.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Piratecat said:
I'm curious how many people here came to the game from previous editions and other RPGs, and how many started fresh with 3e. I'm also curious about how many people were brought back into roleplaying or D&D by the advent of 3rd edition.
My first version of (A)D&D was 2e. I was fed up with it for a few years before 3e came out, but 3e then brought me back to D&D. I also prefer 3e to 2e, for the most part.

Drawmack

First Post

I never played 1e, but I used to rules mechanic it for my oldest brother. I would go to the sessions as the official rules and mathematics lawyer. But I never actually played. So I said that I played 2e and then moved to 3e.

2e I felt was a very lack luster game. After about a year it got old and I moved onto other RPGs. However when 3e first came out a local GM ran an introductory campaign and I played in it. I have been a fan of 3e ever since.

Psion

Adventurer
Started with the basic set, moved to 1e, then 2e, the 2.5e then 3e. Every step was a step forward AFAIAC.

I have an itching feeling there is a Dragonsfoot thread behind this... am I right? (Haven't looked at DF lately, it just seems like the sort of thing that would come up there...)

Last edited:

seasong

First Post
1e -> 3e, no 2e.

I played D&D 1st ed., when I was 10 years old, and started GMing when I was 12. I stopped really playing D&D from about age 13-18; in college, I started running some 1e stuff again, and pretty much ignored 2e. After a few years of that, I started running other systems for about 5-6 years.

Now I'm running a 3e campaign. Whoda thunk it.

Urbanmech

Explorer
I started gaming when 2e had just come out. So our group started playing 2e for a little bit, then went back to playin 1e. Eventually like many other people we cobbled together a unholy lovechild melding of 1st and 2nd ed.

Once 3e came out there has been no looking back. I haven't touched a 2e book in a long time.

KDLadage

Explorer
My RPG History...

My history is something like this (the order is estimated from a badly degrading memory...):
  1. Dungeons and Dragons (not sure the edition; a friend owned it, brownish colored staple-bound books)
  2. Traveller (Black Box Edition)
  3. Dungeons and Dragons (Basic, Red Box Edition)
  4. Dungeons and Dragons (Expert, Blue Box Edition)
  5. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st Edition)
  6. Chivalry and Sorcery
  7. Melee (from the Fantasy Trip)
  8. Wizard (from the Fantasy Trip)
  9. Man, Myth and Magic (only played it once, I swear!)
  10. The Fantasy Trip (Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard)
  11. Boot Hill
  12. Gamma World
  13. Villains and Vigilantes
  14. Top Secret (1st Edition)
  15. Fantasy Roleplaying: The Highest Level of All (again, only once, I swear!)
  16. Palladium Fantasy Role Play
  17. Mega-Traveller
  18. Middle Earth Role Playing (MERPS)
  19. Rolemaster
  20. GURPS (1st Edition)
  21. James Bond RPG
  22. HERO (2nd Edition)
  23. DC Heros RPG (MEGS)
  24. Star Trek RPG (FASA Edition)
  25. Paranoia (unsure of edition)
  26. Traveller: 2300
  27. GURPS (2nd Edition)
  28. Marvel Super Hero RPG
  29. GURPS (3rd Edition)
  30. Star Wars RPG (WEG Edition)
  31. Immortal
  32. Vampire: The Masquerade
  33. Traveller: The New Era
  34. Werewolf: The Appocolypse
  35. HERO (4th Edition)
  36. Prime Directive
  37. Mage: The Ascention
  38. Wraith: The Oblivion (hated this game)
  39. GURPS (3rd Edition Revised) <- still playing
  40. Changeling: The Dreaming (Trolls Rule!)
  41. In Nomine <- still playing
  42. Star Trek: The Next Generation (LUG Edition)
  43. F.U.D.G.E. <- still playing
  44. Star Trek: The Original Series (LUG Edition)
  45. Babylon-5 Project RPG (interesting char gen system)
  46. Plain Label (Simply Roleplaying!) <- still playing
  47. Dungeons and Dragons (3rd Edition) <- still playing
  48. HERO (5th Edition)
  49. Transhuman Space (Powered by GURPS)
  50. Prime Directive (Powered by GURPS)
I am quite sure there are some I am missing here... I have tried to play a great many games over the years...

edit: forgot the world of darkness games I played... and a few others.

Last edited:

Remove ads