What's Up With D&D? for Monday, 4 June 2012

Gaming Tonic

First Post
[news]With the release of the open playtest it has been hard for gamers to focus on anything else and that is understandable. I delved into the rules to see what changes had been made from earlier versions and was pleased with what I saw. We still have other games out there that we can enjoy while we are waiting for the complete rules. That doesn’t stop us from talking D&D Next in several columns. We also get a Dark Sun adventure for high heroic levels. Free RPG Day is Saturday June 16th, and Wizards of the Coast is giving away Dead in the Eye. Which is cool because everyone likes beholders.[/news]

• Rodney Thompson talks about Bounded Accuracy in Legends and Lore. In all the playtesting materials I have seen, it is this system that has me the most excited about the next iteration of the game. Lower level monsters have remained relevant in the higher levels and skills are more likely to get used by characters that are not skilled but have decent abilities in a particular attribute. This article is causing a lot of discussion, get involved here.

[*]Editorial: Anchors Aweigh! By Christopher Perkins clues you into the theme for this month, nautical. I have always enjoyed playing adventures on the open seas and am glad to see a nautical theme will be released this month. I hope the Falling Star article includes a map.

[*]Jared Espley takes you to The Isle of Death, an adventure in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting for 8-10th level characters for Dungeon 202. The set-up for this adventure can be adapted to nearly any setting with minimal work but your players better be ready because some of the encounters seemed pretty tough.

[*]The Dungeon Master Experience by Chris Perkins is Extra Ordinary, well it is about the ordinary people who populate the fantasy world their characters inhabit. He gives some great examples of some mundane interactions your party can have with the local population that have nothing to do with slaying giants. I think this is an important part of world building and something a DM should remember.

[*]Don't forget to take a look at the Dungeon Command Rule Book before participating in Dungeon Command Game Day July 21, 2012. I think it is awesome for Wizards of the Coast to give you a complete look at the rules of the finished game before the release.

[*]Full Plate Alchemist: Min-Maxing Your Character With Roleplaying Expertise written and illustrated by Jared von Hindman is an entertaining and thought provoking look at what you can expect and what is expected if you min-max your character. Roleplayers are creative by nature and many of them can justify nearly any bizarre combinations in seconds.

[*]Shelly Mazzanoble talks about an actual treasure chest in TSR: This Stuff Rocks! for Confessions of a Full-Time Wizard. I really enjoyed reading her descriptions of some of the things they had discovered from D&D’s past. I loved the action figures and remember that coloring book.

[*]Rule of Three by Rodney Thompson covers three questions from readers about D&D Next. This time it is about the scaling of magic, ability use, and botched spells. I say definitely not to any botched spells unless fighters botch sword thrusts and archers botch arrow shooting.

[*]Violence and Gore is the topic for Dragon’s Eye View by Jon Schindehette. This is really tricky but I think the hobby will have wider appeal if blood and gore are not the norm. There are a couple polls for you to voice your opinion a little bit.

Attachments

• 202_isleofdeath.jpg
    202_isleofdeath.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads