Convincing 4th Edition players to consider 5th Edition

Tony Vargas

Legend
These are different techniques for supporting player agency, and reducing the domination of the GM over the content of the fiction that arises out of play.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, here, or have an inconsistent view of the issue because I both play and DM, but I do see 'player agency' as a desireable thing we need more of in games like D&D (games traditionally lacking in it, I guess you could say), I don't see there being some horrible tyrany of the DM that needs to be overcome, with player agency as the tool for doing so. Rather, I see players and DMs both needing to have tools to shape the RPG experience in meaningful ways that are fun for them, and enhance, or at least don't ruin, the play experience for everyone.

I think the issue is that some people define balance in a very, very strange and idiosyncratic way. For example, weak to strong is not game balance. It is multiple points of imbalance with a very, very small point of actual balance.
les.

Sure it is balance. Who says balance has to be complete parity at each step of the game? Balance over time is entirely viable and I think desireable for many. Whether it is balance over the day, the week, the adventure or the campaign. I would argue that any definition of game balance that excludes this is far too rigid.

pemerton

Legend
I did hesitate before using the term, but it seemed to be how it's colloquially used on these boards. I did not mean to offend you, if I did. (I don't think I did, but I thought I'd make it clear.)
No offence taken at all! (And it was obvious that none was intended.)

I'll come back to this below.

using Nagol's method of giving concrete examples beforehand, this is used to good effect to establish the genre you want
I think play in my group is helped by the fact that (with some changing but always overlapping membership) it's been the same group for 15+ years.

In a group of strangers one might want to look at different techniques. And I would think examples might be part of that.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, here, or have an inconsistent view of the issue because I both play and DM, but I do see 'player agency' as a desireable thing we need more of in games like D&D (games traditionally lacking in it, I guess you could say), I don't see there being some horrible tyrany of the DM that needs to be overcome, with player agency as the tool for doing so. Rather, I see players and DMs both needing to have tools to shape the RPG experience in meaningful ways that are fun for them, and enhance, or at least don't ruin, the play experience for everyone.
Like I mentioned earlier, I'm a pretty orthodox Forge-ite in my view about the role of the GM (strong scene framing, but one-among-many when it comes to resolution of those scenes, with the resultant fiction emerging out of the choices, as mediated by the action resolution mechanics, that everyone at the table makes).

Part of what sometimes frustrates me on these boards is that posters are somewhat shy about stating their own preferences self-consciously, while at the same time very quick to project those preferences as if they were, or at least should, be universally shared.

In the context of discussion about a "unifying" edition, that can be especially frustrating.

In the current discussion, there's nothing remotely objectionable about JC querying any "mother may I" aspects of my approach to action resolution. There's a range of techniques here, all of which give the GM a slightly different role in relation both to mechanics and fiction. And at a somewhat meta-level, there's a range of perceptions about those roles too. For instance, when I think about the objective DCs that JC has advocated for in this thread, I think of a high degree of GM control over framing not only the story logic of the situation (the opposition, what thematic buttons might be pressed, etc) but also the details of the fiction (because by setting up the situation so as to yield objective DCs, operationally better and worse options are created, and - at least in my experience - these can tend to dominate over other evaluative features of the choice-situation for players). Conversely, I see the approach I've been advocating for (genre logic and scaled DCs adjudicated ultimately by the GM) as leaving the players more room to shape the details of the fiction, and hence its consequences.

Which of us is correct? Like in all matters of interpretation, it's very hard to tell! And given that JC and I will probably never meet in person, let alone play together, what does it even matter! What's worthwhile about the discussion, in my view, is getting a richer sense of the range of approaches to play, the way they can be tweaked to achieve various goals and effects, and thinking about the range of possible designs that might support or undermine those various approaches.

Likewise with the issue of "GM tyrrany" vs "player agency". I've got strong views on that. These are based partly on my own experiences of GMing problems I've encountered and mistakes I've made - in particular, of letting too much of the weight of the fiction rest on the GM's shoulders, and the campaign floundering as a result. These are based also on experiences I've had under other GMs, especially in the 2nd ed era, of there in effect being two games happening at the table - the one the GM was trying to run, with whatever "story" he had in mind, and the one that the players, including me, were running - which, because we were a large group of (from memory) 7 people, could happen to a large extent without needing the GM's help. In this case, the GM eventually tried to take back control by shifting the whole campaign into the future via some time travel chicanery, as a result rendering most of the stuff that we players had built up ourselves irrelevant. Not long after that I left the campaign, and I think the campaign as a whole didn't survive too much longer.

In these experiences, the issue is (I think) very obviously not about GMs trying to screw over players (which is how I sometimes see it put). To use my own language from upthread, it's about the degree of domination the GM is asserting over the fictional content introduced into the game (and thereby, at least indirectly, also control over the theme and evaluation that supervenes on that content). My own experience tells me that problems here arise not out of malice on anyone's part, but because the game lacks, or fails to support, the techniques that will let this control be devolved from GM to players without degenerating into round-robin storytelling or a mere war between participants over fiat, neither of which looks much like a traditional RPG at all.

Others who have had different experiences would naturally see things differently. Others who want different experiences also would naturally see things differently (in Cthulhu one-shots, for example, I'm very happy to let the GM dominate the fiction, with my job as player being to experience the horror and to add the colour of playing out my own PCs decreasing sanity).

Once again, what I'm looking for in these sorts of discussions isn't to change other people's approaches to play, but to try and think about the range of approaches, and how different designs work with them.

I think we need forthright honesty (like JC calling out "mother may I" when he sees it) combined with reasonable humility and a recognition of diverse preferences. And a readiness to talk frankly about the way different mechanics produce different effects in play for different groups, when used in a range of ways for a range of goals. Thanfully, there are a number of posters here who will do so, even if there are others who have a tendency to push things towards derailment.

Harlock

First Post
I think the issue is that some people define balance in a very, very strange and idiosyncratic way. For example, weak to strong is not game balance. It is multiple points of imbalance with a very, very small point of actual balance.

Balance through averaging over time is a definition of balance that does not appeal to 4e gamers (at least I don't think so) and probably isn't even considered when a later era gamer talks about balance since we've had twelve years of rejection of that style of balance. After all, it's not like Pathfinder suddenly went all OSR and re-introduced differing xp tables.

True, but there are plenty of games that do offer that style of balance that are selling and plenty more that are free that have a devoted fanbase. I'm not saying D&D should return to that style, I was merely responding to a post that asked if 4e players were the only ones that wanted balance and I put forth that different editions of the game had balance in other ways and I felt that was a weak argument that was demonstrably false. I seriously doubt only 4e players wish to have a balanced game. In fact, I only played 4e for a short while and stopped playing D&D after that, but I do like a balanced game. What I dislike is complete parity. I adhere to Syndrome from The Incredibles theory that when everyone is special, no one is. I want some characters to be better than others in different facets of the game.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
You say that 4e fans are unique in valuing balance, clear design and purpose, clarity and cohesion, opportunities for teamwork, options and varieties in play, ease of play, and monster factics. Which got me to thinking, who wouldn't agree with them? Could it really be true that 3e fans see these as negatives rather than positives?
It could be true for at least some, sure. Or or some could recognize them as positive, but have other reasons - like the changes to the FR setting, for instance - for rejecting them. There could be issues of communication and mis-understanding. Early reviews of 4e called it 'dumbed down,' while later criticisms taken to hear in the development of Essentials said that it was 'too complex' and needed 'simpler options.' Obviously, both criticism can't be true, but they were both made, and, for that matter, are often still repeated. If you like plenty of options and only heard 'dumbed down,' you might never try it. If you dislike complexity and only hear 'needs simper options,' likewise. Then there's all sorts of 'irrational reasons' - ie, honest preferences with no need of some underlying logical justification: nostalgia being an obvious one, or anger at WotC for rolling rev too early (I can empathize with that one).

So, yeah, just because 4e is better along this or that dimension of analysis or at this or that technical attribute of an RPG, doesn't mean anyone is obliged to like it, nor do they need to dislike a technical merit to dislike a game displaying that merit. You don't have to hate balance to hate 4e (though, I expect it helps). ;)

Balance in what way? Balance is achieved in a variety of ways and encompasses a lot of different aspects of the game.
Well, there are different aspects of the game that can be balanced, yes. 4e has good class balance, particularly in combat, for instance, but poorer class balance within Skill Challenges, and good encounter balance, but only when the number of encounters/day is predictable (by the DM, that is). And there are many mechanisms that could be used to achieve balance, but they're all just different paths to the same destination. And, none of them ever reach that destination, some just get you closer than others. So the question isn't how is it balanced, but how well and how often, or how easily does it break.

Wizards start as a weak class compared to most others and come to dominate the game at later levels?
Balanced only for campaign play in which no player is ever allowed to change characters. So, requires a specific campaign style. Taken by session-by-session, it's a succession of imbalanced games, with a few balanced ones in the middle. It's also just a little hinky - a "two wrongs make a right" scheme.

Balance through varying XP progressions; "better" classes advance more slowly than "weaker" classes?
Only delivers balance over time, if you're not allowed to somehow change class or character and don't have too much random level-draining or level-boosting going on, and if everyone has the same opportunities to gain the same amount of exp (doesn't work so well when some folks miss more games than others, for instance, or when exp is given out individually).

Balance via all classes having virtually identical powers so no one feels unique? Balance as in everyone has the same starting array and identical starting supplies?
Not actually balance. It's no different from the extreme case where one class is superior to all others, so everyone always plays that class, for instance. Identical isn't balanced.

Balance in that some classes are better in combat and some are better out of combat?
Runs into the same problem as better at low level vs high. It only works if players can't change characters, and the campaign strike the ideal balance between combat and non-combat challenges. Even then, it leaves some players more or less out of the game a good half the time.

Balance as in everyone has the same access to skills, feats, themes, etc.?
Not actually balanced. Fair, perhaps, but not balanced - not unless such choices are all meaningful and viable, that is. There is a distinction between fair (every player has access to the same options) and balanced (the choices among the options are meaningful and viable - non are 'must haves' or 'traps')

Most of us want some form of balance, but our preferred methods can vary wildly, just as the approach to balance has changed in virtually every edition of the game.
I suppose there is a distinction between preferring a method of balance that works very poorly, and preferring imbalance.

Harlock

First Post
Too much to quote. I understand your points, but I simply disagree with most of them. Obviously no game is perfectly balanced, but the examples I gave weren't the sole balancing factor of the games in which they were presented. They were greater parts of a whole. We could look at any single balancing aspect of a game and berate it. The point I was making, and it holds up well, is that no, 4e fans are not the only ones that desire a balanced game and previous editions of the game did strive for balance in different ways with varying degrees of success.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Only delivers balance over time, if you're not allowed to somehow change class or character and don't have too much random level-draining or level-boosting going on, and if everyone has the same opportunities to gain the same amount of exp (doesn't work so well when some folks miss more games than others, for instance, or when exp is given out individually).
Actually it works just fine when XP are given out individually, as the "balance" is then somewhat left in the characters' (and by extension, players') hands. If you choose to sit out encounter after encounter then yes, you're gonna get left behind in the level count; if you stick yer nose in every time then you'll get rewarded for the added risk you've taken.

As for level drain and-or level boost, sure these things can throw balance out of whack - that's the point! :) One character gains a level from a Deck of Many Things while another loses two against a Vampire - this stuff happens; and is another reason why the game needs to be able to handle some level variance within the party.

Runs into the same problem as better at low level vs high. It only works if players can't change characters, and the campaign strike the ideal balance between combat and non-combat challenges. Even then, it leaves some players more or less out of the game a good half the time.
Assuming everyone doesn't get involved in every challenge whether they're best suited for it or not. I prefer each character now and then getting a chance to be better than the rest at something or other...a moment in the sun, if you like...and to accommodate this there have to be times when a character might not be as useful to have around. In the long run, it usually kinda sorts itself out.

Lan-"does this armour make me look unbalanced?"-efan

Someone

Adventurer
Now that we're talking about myth and literary tradition, and why the fighter shouldn't be modelled after them, is there any reason of why the spellcasters also shouldn't be based on they typical mortal spellcaster you can find in fantasy and mythology - but instead be made more powerful by orders of magnitude? The standard D&D mage would make Gandalf or Merlin look like an apprentice, and Moses would look an atheist compared to the average cleric. Is there a reason for that other than tradition, and by tradition I mean "hundreds of power creep inducing splatbooks with poorly thought spell lists?"

I mean any reason other than "it's magic"

WarlockLord

First Post
Now that we're talking about myth and literary tradition, and why the fighter shouldn't be modelled after them, is there any reason of why the spellcasters also shouldn't be based on they typical mortal spellcaster you can find in fantasy and mythology - but instead be made more powerful by orders of magnitude? The standard D&D mage would make Gandalf or Merlin look like an apprentice, and Moses would look an atheist compared to the average cleric. Is there a reason for that other than tradition, and by tradition I mean "hundreds of power creep inducing splatbooks with poorly thought spell lists?"

I mean any reason other than "it's magic"

Other than nerds>jocks, no.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases