Pathfinder 1E Paizo announces Paizo Game Space

kitsune9

Adventurer
My personal take on VTTs is that in addition to the map features, campaign management, and dice rollers, there needs to be a video and audio component. The chat feature is for secret notes.

Secondly, there needs to be apps developed that links mobile and tablet devices to the VTT so that players can have their character sheets, notes, and dice on their devices while looking at a screen that has the map and video. Their computer screen serves as the "table" while their personal devices serves as the "player's surface". The GM has his own.

Thirdly, additional apps should include rulesets that affects actions and gameplay. For example, if the party's cleric casts bless, everyone's character sheet is automatically updated with a +1 to attack rolls and their Will save is noted that they have a +1 vs. fear or the person who receives bear's endurance gets their Con adjusted, hp increased, and Fort save increased. These kind of apps will be invaluable because they can breathe life back into games that have overcomplex or heavy-bookkeeping rules. How many of you looked at crunch-heavy games and thought they were cool because you have all these awesome charts of critical hits or effects or other things, but during actual play, it was a real headache to update the character sheet and keep things moving?

Actually, I'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been apps for these rules, particularly for the ones with their own SRDs or Open License.

Also, these can aid traditional table-top play. The first is that with an app that links the mobile and tablet devices to the GM's iPad, you've gotten rid of regular character sheets and dice. Heavy rulebooks are gone too. With complex rulesets, you can affect characters beneficially or with harmful effects. For example, if you are playing Rolemaster, the app knows which weapon you're using so the die roll looks up the appropriate table, determines the damage, then rolls on the critical hit table and gives the result. The GM tablet displays the result as well and the monster affected has its stats updated.

Realistic rules such as encumbrance can be tracked better.

Some could argue that with all this technology, why not just play a MMORPG? It's going to come down to individual taste as well. For some games with complex rulesets, technology is a good boost to enhance the play experience and a VTT further adds to the fun. For really simple games or more free-form games, then a VTT or anything kind of tech isn't needed.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well I'll be interested in what possibilities of loading Pathfinder 3pp material into this VTT app. I'd love to make the Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story trilogy and other such adventures available in this.

Alphastream

Adventurer
We all know by now, that D&D tools did not come in time, and that one of the reasons was a tragedy.
I'm a big 4E fan and I'm a sensitive person, but I don't buy that explanation. No team should be set up such that it was going to fall apart if a single person left the team (for any reason). Since that initial time many years have passed with many changes in strategy, goals, approach, software platforms, and staff. The result has nearly always been the same.

Again, I'm a huge 4E fan and a huge Wizards fan. Every company has weaknesses. Management of technical teams and projects has been a massive repeated weakness.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Specifically on this Paizo announcement, Paizo should well understand the lessons of WotC's approach. Having screenshots of the VTT but not understanding pricing schemes is not a good start. It is seldom a good idea to undertake an IT project (and begin incurring costs) or promise a product/service (and begin setting expectations) without understanding the revenue model.

Looking over the comments on that thread, we can see it is filled with "this is what I want/expect" comments. Expecting all pdfs to become VTT content? Stating how much you will pay or not pay? Support HeroLab? Suggest your own flip mat add-on pricing?

Paizo should take the time to formulate a solid initial model and communicate that as quickly as possible.

I'm a big 4E fan and I'm a sensitive person, but I don't buy that explanation. No team should be set up such that it was going to fall apart if a single person left the team (for any reason). Since that initial time many years have passed with many changes in strategy, goals, approach, software platforms, and staff. The result has nearly always been the same.

Again, I'm a huge 4E fan and a huge Wizards fan. Every company has weaknesses. Management of technical teams and projects has been a massive repeated weakness.
This is why I said "part of the reason"...

But still... just goig to the forum, repeating the same things again and again won´t do any good, too.

Adventuring tools were not completed in the 3.x era either, and should be outsourced. There are fans out there who do it for free...

joebobodo

Explorer
Specifically on this Paizo announcement, Paizo should well understand the lessons of WotC's approach. Having screenshots of the VTT but not understanding pricing schemes is not a good start. It is seldom a good idea to undertake an IT project (and begin incurring costs) or promise a product/service (and begin setting expectations) without understanding the revenue model.

Looking over the comments on that thread, we can see it is filled with "this is what I want/expect" comments. Expecting all pdfs to become VTT content? Stating how much you will pay or not pay? Support HeroLab? Suggest your own flip mat add-on pricing?

Paizo should take the time to formulate a solid initial model and communicate that as quickly as possible.

The thing is, is that when first launched and in its most basic form, it's going to be free to use. They are doing it this way because they want to get the software into the hands of their community for them to play with and to find more and more ways to improve upon the products.

Paid add-ons, etc... are things that don't particularly matter at this initial launch.

Can I deduct xp from you?

We all know by now, that D&D tools did not come in time, and that one of the reasons was a tragedy.

So no. Mocking someone again and again is just annoying.

Thankya for the reminder to give Scrivener xp.

EDIT: I had a longer post...but the attitude just made me want to give him xp. He owes ya one.

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Can I drag-and-drop images?

That's the big one for me. I want to be able to copy and right-click paste images into the game window without any intermittent steps. No image file saving, no dialog boxes, just Snipping Tool or Ctrl+c and then I paste straightaway.

First browser VTT to offer that will probably have my business for life.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases