Track feat, wilderness lore and search

Bastoche

First Post
Suppose you're a Ranger. You have the track feat for free.

Suppose now you have max ranks in your search score and no ranks in the wilderness lore skill.

If the DC is 10 or less, do you call for a search or for a wilderness lore check ?

If you're in the middle of a non-natural dungeon, why the hell would you call for a wilderness lore check ? Anybody else thinks the search skill should be the track skill instead of wilderness lore ? (and maybe give a +2 synergy bonus if you have 5 or more in WL and if you're tracking in a natural setting) Is there any errata on this ?

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
Well, there is a lot of similarities for these skills.

I see search as letting you find things, the Track feat allows you to follow these signs, and Wilderness Lore allows you to make sense of things.

In my game, I might have had a group of orcs take the north tunnel, but then one of them came back to hide in a secret door and watch for intruders. Now I would put a DC on a search check to find the tracks going to the north (which would be higher than the Track DC - just to make the feat worth something), but without Wilderness Lore he won't know what kind of creature or how many. Also, I *might* give a chance to notice the signs of the orc going into the secret door, but realistically, only the Track skill would reveal this. Anyway, that's just how I do it. They do seem to kind of overlap

IceBear

Jaligard

First Post
You need Wilderness Lore to follow tracks. Search will let you find them, but only if they have a low DC. Search works in 5-foot squares, Wilderness Lore in mile-long increments. I recommend Wilderness Lore.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Basically, to use Search skill, you must designate the area you want to search, such as certain 5 ft. by 5 ft. floor, and you can only find something on that area. On the other hands, Track + Wilderness Lore combo is not strictly defined as Search skill. So it is up to your DM's call. But usually, most DM allow tracker to look for tracks in wider area.

Also, even if you find tracks with Search check, it does not allow you to automatically know the direction it is heading. You will not know whether if that faint footsteps heading toward north or south. To know this, you need track skill.

Remove ads