+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    The Guvnor
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries
    13th Age Superman Circvs Maximvs ENnies Pathfinder ZEITGEIST Doctor Who

° Ignore Morrus

Another D&D Next Playtest Survey

WotC has just sent out details for another official playtest survey; this one dealing with wizards and clerics.
    We hope you have been enjoying the materials we have provided so far in the Dungeons & Dragons« Next playtest. At this stage in the process, we are eager to hear your thoughts on which spells are essential to D&D wizards and clerics.

Please click the link below to complete the second D&D playtest survey, administered by SurveyGizmo. The survey begins on July 18, 2012, and you can provide your feedback anytime thereafter, until the playtest officially ends. The D&D team will review the results and use the feedback to help inform our efforts.

Give Your Feedback

Please don't close your browser before finishing the survey, as you won't be able to get back in to complete it.

We also have a host of activities at Gen Con 2012 related to the D&D Next playtest, which you may be interested in. Even if you aren’t attending the convention, our keynote address and seminars will be made available after the show on our web site. For information on our Gen Con activities, visit DungeonsandDragons.com/events.

Thanks in advance for your participation. We're excited to hear from you!

-The D&D Team
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wotc.png  
    Last edited by Morrus; Wednesday, 18th July, 2012 at 08:59 PM.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

° Ignore Dark Mistress
    Interesting that they are looking for iconic spells.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

° Ignore Jester Canuck
    That survey was... exhaustive.

It felt very 3e-centric in regards to spell names. Although my memory is fuzzy in terms of the spell name changes between 2e and 3e and between 3.0e and 3.5e.

I'm not sure of the point of this survey. Any spell than has been in >2.5 editions should probably be updated and in the Core book. We don't need a repeat of 4e where iconic and recognisable Name elements are held back for four years.

It might be a bar-setting exercise. Find out what the community thinks are the coolest and most memorable spells of each level and make those the best. Use them to set the power curve or magic and establish the benchmarks. The easy example is fireball: if you want to deal AoE damage that's the gold standard.
    My gaming Webcomic 5 Minute Workday at www.5mwd.com

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

° Ignore Cerebral Paladin
    I found this to be a frustrating exercise. There are some iconic spells--sleep, fireball, cure light wounds, heal, etc. But there are lots of iconic categories of powers--illusion, summoning, healing, and so forth. I really don't care if Lesser Planar Binding or Major Image are on the spell lists. But I care a lot about summoning and illusion categories of powers being well represented in the wizard class's spells.
    Storyhour plugs: Aphonion Tales, a storyhour that I write (mostly) about a campaign in which I'm a player.
    The Journals of Konrad Jagger, Licensed Diabolist, a storyhour I write set in the same world as Aphonion Tales, but about different characters.
    Orichalcum's Way Cool Roman Storyhour, in which I'm a player.
    Welcome to the Halmae, a nifty storyhour about a campaign for which I occasionally Council of Evil.

Unfortunately moribund:
    My Storyhour

It is tough to go back and forth between what individual spells matter, and what overall categories of magic need to be there. I tried to represent the latter. I also found the names 3e-centric.

At least it seems like they have some interest in doing it right this time.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore Chris_Nightwing
    I had the experience of realising that the iconic spells in my head were usually the ones I either always cast or had amusing stories associated with them in game. Like Stone Shape for instance, probably not iconic to most, but to me it saved our lives once in a dungeon where we abused the spell definition to form a giant spike to drop on the bad guy's head.

I commented on nearly every section, trying to say why I didn't pick certain things. Particularly why I chose lots of damage spells, even though I don't think that's all Wizards should do. Similarly for Clerics, who have far fewer iconic spells I think, and those like Flame Strike and Blade Barrier probably shouldn't be for every Cleric.

I created a thread a while back discussing this - they have a good chance to redefine everything about magic. Schools, types, damages, durations, saves, keywords, effects, power levels, the lot. They should rebuild from scratch, because, most of all, that list reminded me how the D&D spell list was grown organically from how O/1/2e functioned, and the game doesn't function like that any more.
    Everyone is weird, but those who are weird in the same way call themselves normal.

4ognard
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Gygax Magazine I Defended The Walls!

° Ignore TerraDave
    Pretty much agree...I also found myself looking for illusion spells, even though the names were not nec. iconic. And yes, it would just be easier to use the 2E PHB, (which is basically 1E PHB + 1E UA), it would get you 95% there.

As it was, I did get bored and gave up.
    A semi-brief History of D&D and some other RPGs: Part 1: 1967-1979 Part 2: 1980-1989
    All the official stuff for 4e
    Bonus:

4E has rituals, use them, they're magic;
    Want to see the greatest thing you will ever see? then click;
    You can use ôEarthö as a D&D setting;
    Origins of The Rouse; (look for it)
    The Rouse responds; (look for it)
    One can appreciate both old and new D&D.

One point I found myself coming back to in the comments was to clean up the number of spells that have similar or inverse applications. Do we really need both Daylight and Darkness to be seperate spells? Do we really need Animate Dead/Create Undead/Create Greater Undead as diffenerent spells? Not to mention all the Lesser/Greater variants. I think not. I'd rather see them create one spell that has different applications depending on either caster level or spell level memorized.
    "Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge's name was good upon 'Change for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail." ~ Charles Dickens

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

I Defended The Walls!

° Ignore Dice4Hire
    How was this playtest, in any way shape or form?

For me, I would have preferred to see what kinds of spells were most popular, not jsut going by names. I made sure to check spells ofr the effects, not necessarily the names. I want summoning again, I want planer travel, _i want versatile spellcasting.

Defender (Lvl 8)

° Ignore n00bdragon
    Ah, the old "When will you stop beating your wife?" quiz. The implication is automatically that I would rather see SOMETHING in 5e named "Fireball" than "please don't make another Solid Fog spell".

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast