Running Dark Heresy with the World of Darkness Dice pool system

ghaladen

Explorer
Hey everyone, after trying out Vampire the Requiem, I (and the rest of my players) fell in love with the dice pool system. I've been thinking about how to integrate this into our ongoing Dark Heresy game, so I'm working on some house rules. Here's the document so far:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WAdvRtkZ2PYbOR-c9e9mrwMP3aYgKOQmiTmpOWOqCf4/edit#

If you're unfamiliar with Dark Heresy, the basic rules are in the demo adventure here:

Dark Heresy: Shattered Hope

And if you're unfamiliar with World of Darkness, you can get the demo adventure with the basic rules here:

Nightmare on Hill Manor - World of Darkness

Any feedback, either by posting in this thread, or on the document itself, is greatly appreciated

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I'm excited for any system for playing a WH40k RPG that doesn't require the terrible system in the book. And this idea is simple and elegant.

Do you normally only need one success? I think that makes the game easier when your scores are low. I don't know the world of darkness semi-auto and full-auto mechanics, but I think full-auto weapons will hit fewer times under your system. Maybe.

ghaladen

Explorer
Thanks for the kind words. Normally on a melee attack you would just need a single success, yes. Extra successes don't matter just like extra degrees of success in RAW don't. For a semi-auto, one success is a single bullet you would need two degrees of success for each additional bullet. Which is not only under but +20 under. Thank God the newer games fixed that broken verbiage. And full auto its one bullet for succeeding on the roll, and another bullet for each degree of success after.

In my idea, for semi-auto one success die (8-10 on the die face) is a single bullet, three success dice are two bullets, 5 success dice are three bullets, etc.

In full auto, one success die is a single bullet, two success dice are two bullets, three success dice are three bullets, etc.

Hope that clarifies. I haven't done any probability calculating. However I do know that in our WoD game successes came easier than the percentile system. Which is what I'm going for. While I don't mind the percentile system, I think its a bit harsh...and a tad backwards. And higher scores would mean more dice, which means more chances of success.

As far as one dice for every 10 points in a characteristic, I realize that having a 31 and a 39 for a characteristic doesn't make a difference in # of dice rolled, so I may have to come up with an alternate stat gen system for character creation. Like starting with 20 or however many points each character starts with and "point buy" in multiples of 5's. So your stats can only be 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, etc. Yes this means if your Weapon Skill stat is 30, and it would cost two advancements to go from 3 dice to 4, but I liken it to D&D where increasing your Strength from 16 to 17 doesn't up the modifier. In fact you have to up the stat to 18 in order to up your mod from +3 to +4.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases