D&D 5E With Respect to the Door and Expectations....The REAL Reason 5e Can't Unite the Base

Tony Vargas

Legend
This is all an argument basically about timing on its surface. When can the gorge be placed? When can it not? In D&D, even with skill challenges, I'm going to tend towards not placing the gorge after a failed riding roll, because I happen to like the idea that all the pieces are in place, if only in my head, before any rolls hit the table.

Which means that from the player's perspective, there may not be much difference. I mean, if the player states that he wants his PC to escape by riding away, and I say go ahead, without any thought of a gorge, then if he fails the roll, I'll not include a gorge. OTOH, as he is picking up his dice, I'm already thinking about failure conditions. If a gorge fits logically into the world and pacing and feel of the story as it is rolling, then that's what I've already decided upon for failure.
But, he still encounters the gorge based on a failed riding roll, rather than the direction he's riding and the location of the gorge? That seems like a minor stylistic decision. Heck, even placing the gorge and having the character make an appropriate check (other than riding, presumably - like Wilderness Lore) to pick a direction of flight that doesn't include a gorge, is perfectly appropriate. In either case, skill resolution and/or skill challenge mechanics still work fine - it's just a matter of how you prefer to imagine the results.

Personally, the only thing I'd balk at, a bit, would be determining success based on the player's rather than the character's abilities. Not an issue that usually comes up on a riding check.

Ok, let me say first that it would appear to me that we're moving into the territory of the "Dissociated Mechanics" thread where this issue (or issues tangential to it) was canvassed quite thoroughly. Nonetheless, let us flesh out our differences on this a bit further. And by the by, thank you for your very clear and concise post outlining your position (I'm sorry that I cannot offer you the same brevity...I do not possess the brilliance of Richard Feynman and for that I apologize.). I will offer you multiple points here and I'm quite certain (given that I have a strong grip on where you are coming from as I used to be 100 % in lockstep with you) that some of them may not be terribly convincing. I suspect that Skill Challenges (at least as I run them) are not for you and I suspect that you likely would not like to be a PC at my table. So be it. So long as we can all play our games under this "big tent" theory then we can consider ourselves a lucky gaming community.

1) (BACKGROUND FOR CONTEXT) Let me first say that outside of the Skill Challenge framework I typically (always) use the skill system in a Process Simulation fashion to resolve linear, coupled cause and effect, rudimentary action resolution:
a) Climb a tree
b) Swim in rapids
c) Canvass your lore knowledge for potentially relevant information regarding what is at hand
d) Sneak up on someone
e) Pick a simple lock
f) Etc, etc

The reason for this is because we are not attempting to resolve the encounter of a complex, framed scene while symbiotically capturing the narrative of a specific genre trope. There will be no aggregation of checks toward a dynamic, fiction-driving plot complication (or resolution). There is no pacing attempt, no panning in on the PCs. * We're resolving a single, straight forward moment. Outside of the skill challenge framework, a Knowledge Local Geography would be used to resolve the simple mechanics of the question "can this character navigate this terrain successfully or locate or identify this terrain feature?"

2) (PATTERN RECOGNITION OFTEN LEADS TO A SHALLOW UNDERSTANDING) Our brains organize the world through the means of "pattern recognition", "confirmation bias" and "cognitive dissonance". We couple cause and effect at an early age, build preconceptions based on this coupling, confirm this bias throughout the course of our lives and ardently discard evidence antithetical to our preconceptions of this coupled cause and effect. The unfortunate reality is that a great many times, these couplings are grossly misleading due to our finite (and often misleading) perceptions. It takes extraordinary humility, awareness, and critical analysis to scrutinize and then reverse this process (when justified). This is why you see so much "black and white" or "binary thought" of how worldly phenomena work. It is easy and it is comforting. Unfortunately, a great many processes, even mundane ones, have underlying variables whose quantification are beyond the capacity of shallow, human perception. There is an extraordinary granularity to the causal mechanisms that lead to outcomes in this world that is quite uncomfortable...because it makes us consider the very real limits of our perceptive capabilities...and forces us to think quite hard to understand what variables underwrite these processes.

3) (INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL LOCUS OF CONTROL) To piggyback on Jester's line of thought, in any action there are going to be mechanisms at work that are within our capacity to affect and those that are external to our will. Further, there is very strong neurological research that much of our idea of "free will" is an illusion whereby our brains have already considered and formulated responses before we have even considered the question. So we can call upon our brains to examine the aggregation of sensory information (forces, words, the confluence of the two, etc) and act to influence or direct a specific event toward an outcome. We can then have our brains enact our musculo-skeletal system to influence or direct a specific event toward an outcome. However, and this is enormously important, there are two very potent external loci of control that influence outcomes: (i) Lack of information (reliable or otherwise) or misinterpretation (or shallow understanding of) coupled cause and effect and (ii) Entropy and its proliferation. (i) is canvassed in the above paragraph 2. However, Entropy and its proliferation is enormously potent and extremely hard to quantify even if you are aware of it. Unverified, unquantified, Latent Entropy is loaded into a micro-system. That latent entropy manifests at some point and loads further latent (or realized) entropy into the macro-system. As this entropy proliferates (without being accounted for and mitigated), the system is underpinned by deeper complexities through variable growth and the inevitable 2nd/3rd order functions of their chained interactions. At the end of this, the standard deviation from the predicted mean response of our coupled cause and effect has become grossly bloated...and we're left raging at our shallow understanding of it...and trying desperately to convince ourselves that this system is still the easy, binary reality we initially thought it was...with one specific, dogmatic element being the arbiter of it all (and that element will inevitably be an internal locus of control)...so we can focus our rage at that element and/or perhaps better constrain/control it in the future...and again be secure.

4) (ANECDOTE OUTLINING INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL LOCUS OF CONTROL THAT HOPEFULLY MAPS TO THE SITUATION AT HAND) I run at the same park over and over again (probably 5 times a week). It has two trails/tracks that naturally loop together and are about 3.5 miles in total. However, the South track has a few "branches" off of it that spill you out in an undesirable area (out of the loop) or into a dead-end. I've run this looped track literally hundreds and hundreds of times. One could say that my Knowledge Local Geography would be maxed for my level ;) I'm also a rather perceptive person. However, despite my brain having this track absolutely embedded into it, I have accidentally taken those branches, mistakenly, more than once. I have done this under two circumstances. One circumstance is when I'm running with someone else and we are involved in deep, focused conversation. The second circumstance is when I am by myself but thinking deeply on something or distracted by some external or internal source. Apparently, my Concentration Check or Running Check in this scenario becomes a proxy for my Knowledge Local Geography check (due to their symbiotic relationship within the manifestation of this event) and a failure in either of those two means that I fail my "unrolled" Knowledge Local Geography check (as again, due to their symbiotic nature, they function as proxies for my ability to put to use my "maxed knowledge"). Point being, if you impose enough stress via internal or external sensory input, it overwhelms my system (intermittently...not consistently) and apparently I cannot bring to bear my Knowledge Local Geography acumen with 100 % efficacy.

5) (IMPLICATIONS OF THIS ON AN ABSTRACT MECHANICAL RESOLUTION SYSTEM, WHICH LACKS CONSISTENT, INTUITIVE MATH AND GRANULARITY OF DETAIL (TIME, SPACE, UNMAPPED ENTROPY AND OTHER EXTERNAL LOCUS OF CONTROL, UNREALIZED FICTIONAL ELEMENTS ONLY MANIFESTING DURING THE MOMENT OF EXPERIENCE) DnD has an extraordinary number of abstractions (HPs, AC, to hit rolls representing multiple attacks, 5 % chance to miss any creature regardless of comparative battle acumen,the modeling of many internal locus of control "skill" applications with a single ability/skill check, and on and on...these have been canvassed a thousand times over) and amazing inconsistencies (enormous creatures flying without requisite thrust and impossible trim characteristics, exoskeleton possessing creatures having unbounded size, and on and on) built into it. There is an effort to model somethings with the illusion of granularity of detail (while failing to account for/represent potent variables in its derivation) and there is utter hand-waving in other areas. We flat out do not model (with anything resembling fidelity) an internally consistent, physical world via DnD's mechanical resolution system. For some reason though (likely legacy and or cultural meme issues) we like to pretend that we do (I used to). Some of these inconsistencies we cannot get past...but others are fine with. Its mystifying. I chalk it up to 2 and 3 and move on.

6) (WHAT A SKILL CHALLENGE IS MODELLING) A Skill Challenge is a vehicle used to model Heroic Fantasy Tropes. This is its predicate (Fiction First). It is a noncombat scene resolution mechanic used when you have a specific scene in mind that you wish to capture. Further, and this is important, you DO NOT want the results of a singular or a final check to be a linear arbiter of "what results from the scene's success/failure." This is because aggregate successes/failures create layered tension (when done right). A singular check by a PC is where they get to impose upon the fiction via the vehicle of their skill acumen. However, this imposition can (but not always will be) merely in a pass or fail sense (potentially only loosely in a process simulation sense...if at all), which then leads to the next decision-point and aggregates toward the effort of ultimate success or failure of the Skill Challenge. After the check is rolled then you are introducing (thank you Pemerton for the term) "genre/trope logic", not merely process simulation logic. You are trying to weave a piece of dynamic fiction and capture a specific Heroic Fantasy Trope/Scene. If every check follows the next with the most strict effort at fidelity toward modelling the physics, (i) you will need an extraordinary number of checks to maintain fidelity, (ii) the scope of the fiction you can weave will be extraordinarily rigid and narrow...and you can then forget about the entire point of the Skill Challenge (to capture a Heroic Fantasy Trope/Scene with the correct pacing and the dynamic, decision-points). If this is the predicate of the exercise, then you will have to (now and then) take a modicum of creative liberties toward capturing the narrative (and allowing the PCs to enter author stance and do the same)...lest the emergent fiction be stale and unrewarding. Your PC will have full agency in this effort (to direct - that is to win the skill challenge) via the vessel of their skills. If you have to use post-hoc rationalization after the fact because you are going to agonize that your PCs action resolution mechanics do not maintain perfect fidelity to your PCs "awareness" of coupled cause and effect relative to his internal locus of control and skill acumen...then you either do so by invoking (3) Entropy and its Proliferation or (4) Skills as Proxies for Other Skills...or you just stay away from "closed system", scene-framing mechanics that use "genre logic" and primarily aim at delivering the dynamic narrative of a Heroic Fantasy Trope.

Finally, Nagol, I still think that you are conflating your own awareness of the skill resolution mechanics within the fiction to your own PC's awareness. The gorge manifestation after the failed Ride check (see post-hoc rationalizations above if you need them) may manifest one time in this character's existence forevermore. I find it extraordinary to believe that a proficient rider, fleeing deadly pursuit, over treacherous terrain, with precious cargo, perhaps dodging fire...under all this extreme stress...while trying to remain vigilant and locate a small terrain feature that reveals a narrow land-bridge over a yawing chasm is going to suddenly have his belief in the world challenged if he "fails a ride check" (a la cannot maintain concentration while focusing on riding due to all of these stressors and then bring to bear his Knowledge Local Geography Acumen with perfect efficacy). If so, perhaps he should retire to a cave as the world is going to let him down a great many times. In real life, people are going to have failures where their acumen is both a product of relentless formal training, practical experience, and natural talent. If every time this happens their suspension of disbelief that they are a living breathing organism in a moving world is undermined (perhaps they are in the Truman Show...or are Rosencrantz and Gildenstern?), then I fear for their sanity by the age of 50.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
This is all an argument basically about timing on its surface. When can the gorge be placed? When can it not?
I disagree with this assessment.

The Issue: I failed a Ride check. A gorge is now in my way. My character thinks "I need to brush up on geography so that this doesn't happen again." I think "I need to have my character get better at the Ride skill, so this doesn't happen again. But that's not what my character would want to work on." And thus there's now a conflict in the way that I want to RP my character (learning geography), and the way that the GM will hinder me mechanically in the future (I need to mechanically improve Ride).

This isn't a "timing" issue, in my opinion. It's a conflict between what I, as a player, view as a solution (upping Ride), and what my character views as a solution (being more aware of geography). The problem arises when I try to immerse and RP improving later on; should I go for Ride (since I know out-of-game that's why I failed), or should I boost my knowledge of geography (since that's what my character would want to brush up on in-game, even though I know out-of-game that this isn't the mechanical solution)?

Now, if my horse stumbles because I didn't control it well, and I slide down a hill that takes time to travel back up while they gain ground on me, I know both out-of-game and in-game that I need to work on my Ride skill. There's no conflict. Again, this isn't a timing issue, to me. As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
Unless, of course, you're role playing in which case the PC develops himself.
I'm still not following.

The PC (we are imagining) is a person, learning, practising, and cultivating his/her talents like a person. The PC does not spend points, choose feats, etc.

People learn many things that they didn't plan or desire to learn, and fail to learn many things that they did plan or desire to learn.

PCs, on the other hand, always learn exactly what their players want them to, however exactly that comports with the PC's imagined desires (and subject to the character development rules).

So there is already a gap between the PC and the player in this resepct.

Furthermore, in the resolution system we are imagining, the way a player ensures that his/her PC is better at escaping on horseback is by improving Riding skill. So, as the player imagines that his/her PC is getting better at reading the ground while riding, learning the layout of the local land for the purposes of riding across it, etc, the way that s/he gives mechanical voice to this is to improve the PC's riding skill.

Only if you think (i) that it is the PC who is spending points on riding skill, and (ii) that spending points on riding skill correlates strictly to skill at riding, does any issue arise. But (i) is not the case. And, given the resolution mechanics under discussion, nor is (ii). Riding skill is a player resource for ensuring that his/her PC does well at things when riding is involved.

(You might say: what if the PC is now on foot - does s/he forget the layout of the land? This is the sort of corner case to which skill systems give rise, like the sharp boundary between Acrobatics and Athletics in 4e, or between the mechanical skill to pick locks and to disarm traps in pre-4e versions of D&D.)

The PC cannot make reasonable decisions that match with player reasonable decisions even when their interests align because the player is privy to information hidden from the PC.
My character's thoughts would go similar to what you have, but further into how the character is reacting and what the character is learning:

"I can't believe I missed the land bridge...I was concentrating so hard on controlling my horse and staying in the saddle that I've now backed myself into a corner...that's great. I've got to learn to pay more attention and if I'm going to stay in this area any longer I better understand the layout better. That is, if I manage to live thorugh this mistake..."

As a character, I think my perception ability and/or my geographical knowledge are at fault. I rode fine; the horse is unharmed, I am keeping a decent speed, and haven't faulted. But an obstruction is blocking my escape.

As a player, I know that if I want to avoid failures like this in the future, I should improve Riding.

So what happens if the player wants to reduce the failure chance? He buys something to improve his Riding.

If the player stays in character and tries to develop as the character should desire for his situation he has a quandary. He knows game information that says he should buy the character improved Riding. The contextual information provided in game is suggesting he should improve in other ways.
The Issue: I failed a Ride check. A gorge is now in my way. My character thinks "I need to brush up on geography so that this doesn't happen again." I think "I need to have my character get better at the Ride skill, so this doesn't happen again. But that's not what my character would want to work on." And thus there's now a conflict in the way that I want to RP my character (learning geography), and the way that the GM will hinder me mechanically in the future (I need to mechanically improve Ride).
As I said above, for the player to improve Riding is for the player to improve his/her PC's ability to succeed at tasks while riding.

But this is also why, in an earlier post upthread, I asked what system we are meant to be envisioning here. For example, if the system has a skill like Local Geographic Knowledge and I (as a player) have my PC improve that skill, then next time I am escaping on horseback I will use that skill, either directly, or to augment my Riding skill. Heck, in 4e, there is no distinct Riding or Local Knowledge skill - they both fall under Nature skill (although depending on context riding might also involve an Endurance or Acrobatics check, and some aspects of local geography might involve a History check) - and so the professed dilemma for PC development doesn't even arise.

Upthread someone canavassed narrating, instead of a gorge, that the horse becomes lamed. What if the PC decides that s/he needs to improve his/her Animal Grooming/Handling skills ("If only I'd looked after my horse better, it wouldn't have been lamed by that jump!")? Or, if instead of a gorge, the PC falls off the horse, and thinks "If only I had a better sense of balance, I wouldn't have fallen!" - and the player roleplays this out by improving Acrobatics or Balance of whatever the salient skill in the system is. There is nothing special about the gorge here - it's about interpreting skills in a process simulation fashion, and siloing them without an adequate system of augments. Most scene-resolution system frameworks that I'm aware of (HeroWars/Quest and Burning Wheel especially come to mind here) have a range of techniques expressly for the purpose of dealing with this issue. In 4e skill challenges, the relevant techniques are (i) broad rather than narrow skill descriptors, and (ii) augments (known technically as secondary checks) within a skill challenge.

the objection that local knowledge is not considered wouldn't come up, because a BW character trying to get away is going to use Riding and (This Local Area)-Wise and anything else that pertains, stated clearly before any rolls are attempted.
Right. This is why the mechanics matter. What skill is being tested? What skill or skills are being used as augments? What range of skills does the system have?

Has this dilemma for PC development ever actually arisen, or is it purely hypothetical, based on running a skill challenge (a 4e mechanic) in 3E (which has distinct Riding and (multiple?) Local Knowledge skills) without allowing for augments (which may not be part of the 3E skill system, but are part of the skill challenge resolution framework)?

Last edited:

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
As I said above, for the player to improve Riding is for the player to improve his/her PC's ability to succeed at tasks while riding.
I understand your position. I'm explaining the thought behind the objection to that style of play (for my group).
But this is also why, in an earlier post upthread, I asked what system we are meant to be envisioning here. For example, if the system has a skill like Local Geographic Knowledge and I (as a player) have my PC improve that skill, then next time I am escaping on horseback I will use that skill, either directly, or to augment my Riding skill. Heck, in 4e, there is no distinct Riding or Local Knowledge skill - they both fall under Nature skill (although depending on context riding might also involve an Endurance or Acrobatics check, and some aspects of local geography might involve a History check) - and so the professed dilemma for PC development doesn't even arise.
The problem comes when the system does have Ride separate from Geography, or when there's no feasible way to use all the skills you need to in order for the GM to not use those failures against you for using Ride.

For example, I'm riding, trying to get away. It's a skill challenge. I don't feel like I should have to say "and I want to augment this with my Geography skill so I don't get myself trapped or lost, and my Perception skill to keep an eye out for any sort of terrain or bad guys, and my Nature skill to keep an eye out for plants that might help me, and my Stealth skill to stay out of sight as much as possible, and..."

This does not appeal to my whatsoever. My preference is simply: if you're going to make a complication occur from a skill check, tie it into that skill. While escaping, did you fail a Perception check? Then maybe you didn't notice the terrain up ahead (small hill), or you didn't notice the bad guys cutting you off. Did you fail a Geography check? You got yourself stuck at a gorge, or at a deep river. And so on.

This way, after this is all over (and if I'm alive), I can sync up with my character (both in-game and out-of-game), and decide "well, I didn't notice that, I need to keep a better eye out for that sort of thing" or "I need to study some landscape so this doesn't happen again."

If I fail a Ride check, and I get trapped by a gorge, this isn't the case. And, I don't think it's an appealing solution to say "just use every skill that might help beforehand" like in my example. And, on top of that, I doubt many GMs would go for that in a skill challenge situation.
Upthread someone canavassed narrating, instead of a gorge, that the horse becomes lamed. What if the PC decides that s/he needs to improve his/her Animal Grooming/Handling skills ("If only I'd looked after my horse better, it wouldn't have been lamed by that jump!")? Or, if instead of a gorge, the PC falls off the horse, and thinks "If only I had a better sense of balance, I wouldn't have fallen!" - and the player roleplays this out by improving Acrobatics or Balance of whatever the salient skill in the system is.
In a skill system with Ride, I imagine that these are actually covered by the Ride skill (staying on horseback, maneuvering your horse, etc.). If they aren't, then my objection remains the same: don't use them unless a Handle Animal or Balance check was called for.
There is nothing special about the gorge here - it's about interpreting skills in a process simulation fashion, and siloing them without an adequate system of augments. Most scene-resolution system frameworks that I'm aware of (HeroWars/Quest and Burning Wheel especially come to mind here) have a range of techniques expressly for the purpose of dealing with this issue. In 4e skill challenges, the relevant techniques are (i) broad rather than narrow skill descriptors, and (ii) augments (known technically as secondary checks) within a skill challenge.
This doesn't have much to do with my objection, as I see it. Perhaps, if it does, you can explain how it does? As always, play what you like :)

Crazy Jerome

First Post
I'm still not following.

The PC (we are imagining) is a person, learning, practising, and cultivating his/her talents like a person. The PC does not spend points, choose feats, etc.

I believe that is because "roleplaying" was narrowly defined in that point of view as "(immersive) actor stance". It's the same argument we've had before about the scope of "roleplaying".

Shrug. It's a tautology, and you can't argue with a narrow tautology except to point out its nature, and then ask the other to look at the wider world. Personally, I don't think it is the kind of position that can be supported or disputed any way but empirically, and that demands some kind of common experience. Since all of us don't have the common experience, it would seem that on that point we are at an impasse. :)

pemerton

Legend
The problem comes when the system does have Ride separate from Geography, or when there's no feasible way to use all the skills you need to in order for the GM to not use those failures against you for using Ride.

For example, I'm riding, trying to get away. It's a skill challenge. I don't feel like I should have to say "and I want to augment this with my Geography skill so I don't get myself trapped or lost, and my Perception skill to keep an eye out for any sort of terrain or bad guys, and my Nature skill to keep an eye out for plants that might help me, and my Stealth skill to stay out of sight as much as possible, and..."

<snip>

In a skill system with Ride, I imagine that these are actually covered by the Ride skill (staying on horseback, maneuvering your horse, etc.). If they aren't, then my objection remains the same: don't use them unless a Handle Animal or Balance check was called for.
To me, what you are saying here goes back to the PC vs player distinction, plus the issue of design.

The PC does not call for a check of some particular skill. Nor does the PC deploy his/her talents in some silo-ed fashion. The PC brings everything that s/he has to bear on the situation - her skill as a rider, her prior expertise in stabling and caring for his/her animal, balance, knowledge of the local terrain, etc.

It is only the action resolution mechanics - which are part of the metagame, at the table, not part of the fiction - which oblige one particular skill to be checked. At which point, the question of how the PC's other areas of expertise pertain, many of which are also relevant to his/her success in the current endeavour, arises.

Broadly defined and overlapping skills are one way to address the issue. But then the original objection - that I am improving narrow skill A while being thwarted in domain B - doesn't arise (see 4e's Nature skill).

A proper system of augments (see BW or HW/Q, or - not quite as good, but ameliorated by broad skills - 4e) is another way to address the issue. But then part of playing the game well (including immersing in one's PC) is bringing the proper augments to bear.

You talk about a skill system in which skills are narrowly defined and yet deploying augments "is not feasible". For me, that is a sign simply of a poorly-designed skill and action resolution system, which produces silly fiction (in which, for example, I can never benefit at one and the same time from being both a skilled rider and a shrewd local guide).

Hence, if someone is saying all 3 of the following things:

*I want narrow rather than broad skillls;

*I don't want a system of augments for complementary/overlapping/etc skills;

*It jars my immersion when failure on a check arises in some domain that might pertain to a different narrow skills​

then my sympathy is limited - I'm prepared to believe that their immersion is jarred (presumably they know best) but I'm not very interested in generalising the conclusion.

Because whatever world they've immersed themselves into, it bears little relation to the world I inhabit, and to the world I imagine for my RPGs. In my imagined worlds, silo-ing of endeavours along narrow lines reflecting some designer's conception of a detailed yet augment-free skill system is not part of the experience. In that respect, at least, my imagined worlds resemble the real world.

Remathilis

Legend
Ok, let me say first that it would appear to me that we're moving into the territory of the "Dissociated Mechanics" thread where this issue (or issues tangential to it) was canvassed quite thoroughly. Nonetheless, let us flesh out our differences on this a bit further. And by the by, thank you for your very clear and concise post outlining your position (I'm sorry that I cannot offer you the same brevity...I do not possess the brilliance of Richard Feynman and for that I apologize.). I will offer you multiple points here and I'm quite certain (given that I have a strong grip on where you are coming from as I used to be 100 % in lockstep with you) that some of them may not be terribly convincing. I suspect that Skill Challenges (at least as I run them) are not for you and I suspect that you likely would not like to be a PC at my table. So be it. So long as we can all play our games under this "big tent" theory then we can consider ourselves a lucky gaming community.

Can I get the tl;dr version of this? I've seen software EULA's short than that. You probably raise some good points, but there is a bit much to take it all in...

Can I get the tl;dr version of this? I've seen software EULA's short than that. You probably raise some good points, but there is a bit much to take it all in...

- Due to the finite nature of our perceptions, our simplistic understanding of cause and effect (that is often erroneous), and our bias toward a simplistic model (that fails to quantify and often even recognize external variables such as incomplete/erroneous information and entropy), the demand to simulate complex processes through binary game mechanics seems a reach at best.

- Given the above, plus the numerous accepted abstractions, math oddities/kludges, and physical impossibilities embedded within DnD mechanics/lore, it is impossible to use our DnD mechanics to produce a model that possesses internal consistency and fidelity to the real world phenomena it is attempting to simulate.

- Action resolution in real life (with real world anecdote) oftentimes involves the simultaneous, passive (or active) symbiosis of multiple skills at one time (Nature, Perception, Athletics, Concentration, Knowledge Local Geography). DnD does not do this well without resultant bogged down table dynamics with an excruciating number of dice rolls/checks. The alternative is to choose a dominant skill and use it as a proxy for the others and use that as the derivation for the resolved action (and the resultant fiction).

- Regarding all of the above, it is irrelevant to the driving force and goal of a Skill Challenge. The predicate for Skill Challenges are not to simulate processes. The predicate is "emulate genre tropes and create dynamic, decision-point driven fiction." It is a noncombat scene resolution mechanic used when you have a specific scene in mind that you wish to capture. You use genre logic (hat tip Pemerton) and interpret skill check resolution in ways the emulate the genre and induce tension and dynamism to that end. Further, and this is important, you DO NOT want the results of a singular or a final check to be a linear arbiter of "what results from the scene's success/failure." The success or failure is a product of the aggregation of checks and the emergent fiction follows a marriage of this, the consequences of this and the narrative flow of the framed scene.

I'm unconvinced that Nagol's meta-perspective on the mechanics is disconnected from his PCs "awareness."

That's the best I can do. I wish I could pare it down further.

Regarding this player/character divide in skill challenges and interpreting results:
- If you narrate a failed Ride check as falling from a horse, would it logically follow that the character would say "I must get better at riding", or would he maybe say "I must improve my balance so I can stay on the horseback"?

I don't know, I have never ridden. Though I do have a bicycle, and I would say that balance is important. I don't know if on my character sheet, I have okay Dex, a decent "balance" modifier, or a decent "bicycle riding" moder.

In the context of the skill challenge for following someone on horseback, I would say that skills covering animal handling, local geography, riding, balancing and jumping could all apply.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases