D&D 5E With Respect to the Door and Expectations....The REAL Reason 5e Can't Unite the Base

By the by, those last several pages were inundated with extraordinarily good posts from both sides of the issue. Considerable insight and wonderfully articulated. Very easy to read and understand. I really hope WotC is paying attention to threads like these because they are a much better resource to get to understand their player bases' varying tastes, preferences (and the philosophies/expectations that underwrite them) than most (all?) of their polls are.

Alas, I cannot XP JC, CJ, Tony Vargas, Johny3D3D, Mallus, Lost Soul and Pemerton but I can XP a few.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
As I look at the example given - that of the chasm appearing after a failed ride check - isn't this entirely up to the DM and the social contract at the table? This isn't a mechanical issue particularly at all. If I'm DMing someone like Bill91, for example, then obviously I'm not going to toss up a chasm because it's going to make the game unfun. OTOH, if I'm DMing myself, again for example, I'd have no problems with that because I do not have an issue with a bit of flexibility when it comes to skill checks.

For one side, the chasm has to exist beforehand and overcoming that bit is part and parcel of the DC of the check. There was another example (in this thread or another I forget) of it starting to rain when a character attempted a diplomacy check. Again, the rain would be a modifier to the DC, not a result of the check.

But, at the end of the day, we don't need two sets of mechanics here. The same mechanics work for both styles of play. You simply choose results that make the most sense for that table. So, the process bunch chooses results like, "fell off the horse", or whatnot and the more narrative crowd chooses other results.

Really, though, what difference does it make? Your table chooses result A, my table chooses result B. Both tables choose a result that is a failure for that table. Do we really need mechanics that define failure?

pemerton

Legend
If you don't have explicit stakes and intent, then you've got implicit ones. That is, you always have stakes and intent. Some results will be appropriate or not based on those stakes and intent.
My own experience - admittedly limited - is that there is no general tendency on the part of new roleplayers to assume that stakes and intent are confined to a process-simulation approach to resolution.

I think I might be OK with Schrödinger's Geographical FeatureTM if, as a player, I had been casting about for a short cut or some other place to lose a pursuer while riding. I sure wouldn't expect it as the result of a ride check. That just seems like an answer to the wrong question.
The point about expectations is important.

Certain games make it clear that narrating complications, such as the gorge, is part of their action resolution mechanics. And one of those games is 4e (although as I've frequently pointed out, the rules indicate this only obliquely, via the example in the Rules Compendium - see my post 138 upthread - rather than explicitly).

So if you were playing 4e, and were familiar with the rules, then presumably that counterfactual you wouldn't be surprised by this sort of thing.

But this does give rise to the question - how can a failed ride check be narrated without introducing something like the gorge? All I can think of is (i) you urge your horse to greater speed, but it ignores you, and (ii) some sort of equipment failure eg you forgot to tighten your saddle straps.

The horse pulled lame; the horse and rider are slowed by brush as you try to force through it; the horse leaves the path at a switchback; the horse fails a jump.
To me, these all seem like variants on the gorge. Where did the horse's weak leg come from? The player didn't ask for a veterinary check, did s/he? Or if the lameness is due to the horse stepping in a pothole, where did that pothole come from. Or the brush, for that matter, or the switchback? Or the terrain feature that necessitates a jump (perhaps a gorge!)?

I don't see how weak legs, potholes, bushes, switchbacks or whatever other elements of the fiction are being introduced in these examples are interestingly different, for the purposes of the current conversation, from a gorge. Or is it all about degrees? - gorges are more geographically extreme than brush? (As I said upthread, no one is saying that "Rocks fall. Everybody dies!" is good narration.)

Why would a skilled rider, who knows nothing of the geography of a particular place, run into gorges less often than someone not as skilled on horseback but who has grown up in the area and knows it like the back of his hand?
It seems to me that that way of framing the question is already imposing a process-simulation resolution system.

The game is not part of a process of running a series of random trials. The gorge narration is likely to occur once in a campaign. (Unless it becomes some sort of running joke or motif.)

The reason a player who has invested build resources in riding skill is less likely to have his/her PC confronted by a gorge is because, by investing those resources, s/he has purchased the privilege of having his/her PC be more likely to get what s/he wants when riding is involved.

That is not the only way to interpret PC build mechanics, obviously. But it is one implied by certain sorts of action resolution mechanics, including skill challenges.

Because the system, to a limited point, is very much concerned with the how and the effect.
Using 4e as an example, there are two ways I could go about choosing the skill I use as a player in a SC. The first is to go for the most mechanically sound skill (the one I have the highest bonus in that will apply) and then frame the fiction as a secondary concern. The other is to choose a skill I think fits the fiction framing or setup that I wish to invoke through player agency.

Now I won't say no player in the world would use ride and then narrate the appearance of a gorge, but for me if I choose to approach the SC through the lens of of using my "ride" ability (as opposed to nature) I am more interested in the fiction being framed and shaped around my riding abilities
I'm still confused as to which system we are discussing.

4e does not have a ride skill. Nor does it have an animal handling skill. Nor does it have a region knowledge or geography skill. It has a Nature skill. It also has rules for augments (so a Nature check can be augmented via a History check or Perception check, for example).

The systems I'm familiar with that have more narrowly defined skill/attribute lists (BW, HeroWars/Quest), and that use skill-challenge like mechanics, also have more robust augment rules than 4e.

So which system are we talking about involves a player (i) choosing to use a riding skill, and (ii) not being able to draw upon other relevant skills, like knowledge of the local geography, to augment?

Another thing I find myself curious about is whether this disregard for causal connections between the skill or ability used and the effect extends to players as well. Can a player use his stealth skill to evade some guards but narrate it as a cavern suddenly opening up in the ground and swallowing them? Would DM's be okay with that?
As per the DMG and PHB, in 4e it is the GM who, by default, has the authority to narrate consequences of checks. In both the DMG and DMG2, however, there is discussion of when/how one might cede some of that authority to the players.

D&D designers (both 4e and now) have to try and marry new ideas and mechanics with a sense of tradition - and it's not always a clean or easy fit.
Nicely put.

I think the situation is like this:

<snip>

The player has a vision of his character. The DM doesn't want to compromise that vision in any way. He wants the PC to remain true to the player's vision, which requires that he's an excellent rider.

But the dice show that his action requires a failure.

In order to maintain the... status? (there's a word I want here but I can't think of it edit: integrity, that's it) of the PC as an awesome rider, the DM decides that he didn't fail because his excellent riding skills let him down; he failed because of factors outside of his control. The failure is some other complication - a gorge that was out of sight - that wasn't related to riding, and thus the ability of the PC to ride is maintained.

Now because the PC's riding ability isn't in question, the player can choose to go back to the well - to use his riding ability to get out of this new situation.
Very nicely put. Both as to part of the rationale for narrating the gorge (another part of the rationale might because it is the most interesting complication the GM can think of), and also as to consequence - that the riding ability is still available to be used to progess through the situation.

<snip example>

To my mind, this approach does a better job at supporting player agency. You succeed because of your chosen shtick. You fail for a larger pool of reasons (which can include screwing up your shtick).
I like this too - and I think it nicely complements LostSoul's anlaysis.

Personally, I think it's important in this situation that the horse still matters in the fiction. Okay I'm backed into a gorge, but I have my horse so I still have all my possessions. I've ridden a while, so I've possibly put some distance between me and the pursuers. These things would not be the case had I used Athletics instead.
And another nice complement to what LostSoul said - the horse is still there, the distance is what it is, etc.

Until the final failure or final success is rolled you have no idea what state (as it concerns the resolution of the conflict) that you are in. If you need one more success but then roll 3 failures... you have failed the SC, so you weren't any "closer" to escape than you were the first time you rolled a die in the SC as it relates to the overall conflict.
I'm not sure why you say this. As chaochou said,

a success or failure in your SC ride roll is both a) creating a new situation and b) telling you whether or not you are closer to escape.
(b) is itself an element of (a) - part of the narration of the new situation will also convey what has changed in it such that you are nearer to escape. Even if the skill challenge fails overall, that previous narration, and the colour and fictional positioning that it has introduced, still stands. This point is a further complement to LostSoul's analysis - that the colour and fiction of decisions made by the player, and the way those checks resolve, remain established at the table and colour the overall consequence of resolving the situation.

I respect the work pemerton and others do in their 4e games. Personally, I just run Burning Wheel, FATE or Apocalypse World when I want player driven games (which is most of the time - I'm a very lazy GM!)
Thanks chaochou.

I am hoping to run Burning Wheel once my 4e campaign finishes. But 4e does different things (gonzo fantasy) from what BW does (more gritty). And 4e also uses different (and on the whole less formal) techniques for signalling player buy-in (eg race, class, paragon path, epic destiny). But within those parameters, I don't find it hard to run 4e in a vanilla narrativist way.

As a GM, I like to have the freedom to be lazy away from the table - minimal prep, for example - but am happy to work hard at the table! The long lists of monsters, traps etc, the skill descriptions, the gods, the maps - all make it fairly straightforward to frame scenes that respond to what the players are doing and where they are trying to take things, provided that I'm paying attention and have my wits about me. (My view of WotC's design strategy from a commercial point of view is: instead of giving players and GMs the tools to build the PCs/situations that will support their desired story/theme, they will sell lots and lots of books with lots and lots of lists of possible elements, from which players and GMs can choose the ones they want.)

I guess the real question is, is D&D worth it? To which my answer is: yes, provided you're happy with gonzo fantasy, with fairly traditional fantasy tropes and themes (if you're happy with these, the situations in 4e practically write themselves; if you're not, then I'm not sure that there's much else to work with), and with combat as the principal, and perhaps ultimate, site of conflict resolution (4e is D&D, after all!).

Finally, way upthread (post 108) I posted this - one of the earlier posts in this discussion of gorges and action resolution mechanics:

Taking the view that consequence must be related to ingame, pre-established causal precursors puts a severe (I'm tempted to say fatal) limit on what can be done with non-combat resolution systems. Conversely, comparing such systems with a metagame component to Toon is a little unhelpful - the better comparisons, as far as D&D is concerned, are HeroWars/Quest, Burning Wheel and D&D 4e (the example skill challenge in the Rules Compendium clearly relies on metagame-adjudicated consequences, even though - given the absence of helpful advice - the technique is not expressly called out as such).

<snip>

If you want creativity and variety in stat checks, players have to be willing to run the risk of failure. And this requires making failure a viable option (ie fun for the players, even if not fun for the PCs).
Other than perhaps adding a "tightly" into the first sentence ("must be tightly related") I still stand by this. Comparing metagame/"genre logic" resolution to Toon is in my view unhelpful - suggesting, apart from anything else, that those who are GMing the game in such a way are not running, or don't care about, serious games. (For whatever reason, this is a recurrent pattern in discussions of 4e play on these forums.)

And likewise, no one has explained what action resolution mechanics they think will produce creative, non-highest-number driven play, if not the sort of resolution that I and [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] have talked about. Before the gorge was introduced from another thread, I posted this example:

Suppose I am playing a dwarf fighter with a dumped CHA. And suppose my PC enters a new town, and wants to make a good impression with the mayor/baron/dwarven clan leader/etc. Having the bard or rogue do the talking isn't going to work. If I want my PC to make a good impression, I am going to have to say stuff.

<snip>

When it comes to out-of-combat resolution, the main requirement is to explain to GMs how to resolve the failed checks that will inevitably follow upon players making checks in which their PCs have poor bonuses.

<snip>

Judging from posts I read around here, the default narration for the dwarf fighter attempting and failing the Diplomacy check is "You open your mouth and spray your spit over the mayor - sucks to dump CHA, I guess!" - and then people complain that their players won't use anything but their biggest numbers!

If the fighter fails the Diplomacy check, then there are any number of ways of narrating that failure without making the PC look like a fool - from "The mayor listens briefly, but then excuses herself to go off to the next meeting" to "Of course the mayor would love to help you, but she swore an oath to her late brother that she would never do XYZ" to "As you begin your address, rain starts to fall, and the mayor's entourage usher her back into the city hall before you can get your point across".
If all narration of consequences must be tightly connected via process simulation, then failed Diplomacy checks by CHA-dumping fighters are always going to be narrated as those PCs being rude/uncouth/generally disgusting. Which will mean that players of those PCs will never initiate Diplomacy checks (except as a joke, I guess). Which means that play will default to only the face talking, only the rogue picks locks, the party can never attempt stealth or riding unless every PC is trained, etc. How is that good for the game?

pemerton

Legend
As I look at the example given - that of the chasm appearing after a failed ride check - isn't this entirely up to the DM and the social contract at the table? This isn't a mechanical issue particularly at all.
It's a mechanical issue to this extent: I don't think you can run skill challenges (or similar scene-resolution mechanics) effectively without this sort of metagame-level narration.

You could still do complex skill checks, but that's a different mechanic.

Really, though, what difference does it make? Your table chooses result A, my table chooses result B. Both tables choose a result that is a failure for that table. Do we really need mechanics that define failure?
I think there is a difference here, too. Do we want to encourage players to push their PCs into situations where they know they might fail?

If not, then it doesn't matter. If we do, though, then I think purely process-simulation resolution will get in the way (as per the last paragraph of my post above this one).

Imaro

Legend
Probably won't have much time today to continue this discussion, but I do have a quick question just to satisfy my curiosity...
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]: You've continuously brought up a single example from the rules compendium/DM book from the 4e essentials line. I'm curious if there is any similar example for SC's in either the DMG 1 or DMG 2?

Nagol

Unimportant
It's against my better judgement, but I'll respond.

To me, these all seem like variants on the gorge. Where did the horse's weak leg come from? The player didn't ask for a veterinary check, did s/he? Or if the lameness is due to the horse stepping in a pothole, where did that pothole come from. Or the brush, for that matter, or the switchback? Or the terrain feature that necessitates a jump (perhaps a gorge!)?

The lameness came about because the rider failed to understand the limitations of his mount. A good rider doesn'tr injure his horse. A horse can be forced into injury.

The brush and/or switchback or other geography come from already present revealed details of the world. There will be some since I do not have the characters generally on a featureless white plain of nothingness nor do I beleive do you. If that belief is mistaken then I can understand the confusion. I extropolated those two terrain features for the example because they fit with the general concept of a tarrin that could support a gorge and I assume the gorge was a plausible addition. I can withdraw that assumption and use instead cobblestone, loose gravel, deep sand, trees (of a variety of type), and/or water both running and still, but I figured two small example terrains made the point.

The terrain feature that causes the jump would also be one that fit with the appropriate terrain for the chase -- fallen log, bush, rock, giant amphibious tree sloth, whetever.

I don't see how weak legs, potholes, bushes, switchbacks or whatever other elements of the fiction are being introduced in these examples are interestingly different, for the purposes of the current conversation, from a gorge. Or is it all about degrees? - gorges are more geographically extreme than brush? (As I said upthread, no one is saying that "Rocks fall. Everybody dies!" is good narration.)

I see them as interestingly different -- the outcome affects the situation in different ways and sets up the PC to make different choices for the next check. A lame horse cannot be pushed as hard -- Ride takes a -2 penalty for the rest of the scene. The brush offers concelment and affords a possibly stealth escape. Leaving the path can afford a place to hide and let the pursuers pass the PC and give the PC an opportunity to return the way he came or it can afford a spot where only a desperate man would try to ride -- difficult Ride check to get down without damage, but the pursuers won't follow.

It's not about degree for me. As I said upthread, it's about maintaining a consistency between PC and player interests and expectations. I also agree with Imaro of the DM using and reflecting the choice the player brings to the table.

I disagree with LostSoul about introducing a gorge to protect the PC's integrity in the fiction. If the integrity would be hurt by a failure don't roll the dice -- have the Ride be an auto-success/auto-tie. Alternatively, introduce an element before the player choice to explain the possibility of failure or introduce an element afterwards that explains why despite the PC's Herculean effort, the pursuers were able to close -- their horses being unnatural beasts under Seeming, a magical effect is used, or a cunning trap the rider didn't manage to avoid was laid in advance.

Why are those secondary elements OK and the gorge is not? Because these elements directly address why the Ride failed even though the rider is too good to fail without introducing elements outside the Ride ability. The attributes and plans of the pursuers are further outside the control and assumed knowledge of the PC than the land he is riding across. If that's not the case then I wouldn't use these elements either.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
If all narration of consequences must be tightly connected via process simulation, then failed Diplomacy checks by CHA-dumping fighters are always going to be narrated as those PCs being rude/uncouth/generally disgusting. Which will mean that players of those PCs will never initiate Diplomacy checks (except as a joke, I guess). Which means that play will default to only the face talking, only the rogue picks locks, the party can never attempt stealth or riding unless every PC is trained, etc. How is that good for the game?

It provides a meaningful consequence for player choice. PCs are as defined by their limitations as much as their advantages. Many people consider the consequence of characteristic choice too permanent, but in my games players think hard about dumping any stat because there are consequences.

It also provides direction to the DM about what the player is expecting from the character

And a party can attempt actions where the whole party isn't trained -- what they can't succeed at is is attempting those actions where a group of trained specialists are necessary for success. A good mixed group challenge is a more forgiving environment that the trained members could waltz through, but the whole group is necessary to accomplish the mission.

Fair enough... though I definitely think SC's could have done with more polish and better advice before being released.

I totally agree. I think presentational issues are pretty fundamental - rpgs are expressed through language after all. But I think this is the tension that D&D design faces - a bit like a political party, it has to modernise without ever saying or implying that anything in the past could have been problematic. (No more politics references...)

Now as far as I'm aware at least some of the advice and ideas around skill challenges was written by Robin Laws. This is the same designer who wrote HeroWars back in 2000/1.

HeroWars was, at the time, pretty much the cutting edge of technology for d20-based conflict resolution systems. To my mind it still is - it's simple, very flexible and highly nuanced all at once, a springboard for imagining events rather than a descriptor of those events.

So, with Laws at least on board in some capacity in 4e I find it staggering that Skill Challenges were so badly explained. Was it due to a process of writing, rewriting and editing? Was it that the publisher shied away from explaining the fundamental ideas of conflict resolution, because it would be, at minimum, a tacit acceptance of the limitations of the previously canonical task resolution?

I don't know. But 5e has the same tightrope to walk... trying to offer something new, without offending the admirers of the old. Probably the toughest gig in the rpg world.

Thanks chaochou.

No probs. Just don't expect xp, cos the system here works against me...

Last edited:

Crazy Jerome

First Post
My own experience - admittedly limited - is that there is no general tendency on the part of new roleplayers to assume that stakes and intent are confined to a process-simulation approach to resolution.

Certainly. However, it is quite natural in a game geared towards process-simulation--which in the early and mid parts of the hobby, most games are--to adapt a defact set of stakes and intents based on those rules, without even considering the concept of stakes and intents. That's what I was talking about.

A character checks for traps and picks a lock on a chest in a deep, dark dungeon. After the first nasty poison needle surprise (and probably replacement of the thief with a new character), the second time this comes up, the stakes and intent are so clear as to not need explicit discussion. Where process-simulation really falls down as a universal method is at the point where the action becomes complicated enough that the stakes and intent lose this clarity.

If you look at the history of process-simulation games, the indepth discussion and problem spots are often dealing with this very problem. IMHO, I think GURPS does as fine a job of dealing with this, while staying on its process-simulation roots, as any game, ever. But GURPS has its kludges and quirks, and most of them are prompted by pushing process-simulation to the maximum. It's "Default Skill Rule" is one example, that doesnt hold up under deep scrutiny, but does patch a rather vivid hole with a nice illusion. OTOH, GURPS does cover so much so well, that if you like what it is trying to do, you can avoid the problem areas with ... social contract. In fact, this is probably the fundamental difference between GURPS and Hero. Hero is almost pure result-simulation mindset married to process-simulation pretensions and illusions. It's why the most critical component of a Hero group is everyone agreeing not to look behind the rather obvious curtain. :D

I'm hitting the same stuff that [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] is covering more completely in his posts about the nature of what we are doing, only coming at this particularly point from a different angle that I thought was being left out in the shuffle: You always have stakes and intent whether you know it or not, or whether you even consider the concept or that it has a name. Heck, half the idea behind "social contract" is that when you push button X, you reliably get a result A (or some close variant of it, people being people). :D

Chaochou's clarity aid of "task resolution" versus "confilct resolution" is considerably helpful to illuminate the moving parts of this discussion and the varying philosophies. I'm going to use the term "conflict resolution" within the framework of "skill challenge" below to designate the aim of the framed scene.

I have two scenarios below that I have constructed (and provided contextual information as to their mechanical relevance) below. A few things regarding each of these:

1) Both of them are within the framework of a "skill challenge."
2) Both of them are means interpreted within the framework of the "skill challenge" toward the end of "conflict resolution." They are not, in and of themselves, efforts at "task resolution" whereby the resolution of the skill check is a legitimate end unto itself.
3) They will be designated as middle and end (in terms of the skill check's chronological order, relative to all skill checks, during the effort toward "conflict resolution."
4) Narrative Context will explain what has passed, within the fiction, to this point.
5) Mechanical Context will explain the relevant resources that the character can bring to bear.
4) Both of these examples will have a looser than linear, companion, fictional representation than that of an assumed standard, fictional representation of mundane "task resolution."
5) ** Assume both of these components of "conflict resolution" and their fictional counterparts manifest ONLY ONCE in the entire lifetime of the character within the fiction. Assume they will have literally HUNDREDS of times where they will pass/fail task resolutions (outside of a skill challenge) whereby they will have a linear feedback to that success/failure within the scope of the fiction (eg Pass/Fail Balance/Acrobatics - Retain Balance/Lose Balance). Therefore, this situation is a clear outlier within the framework of their interface with the physical manifestation of cause/effect - less than 1 % of his experience.

Skill Challenge 1 - Pursuit Evasion with Stolen Relic

Conflict Resolution - Does the character escape/evade pursuit and does he maintain the pilfered property?

Chronology: Middle

Narrative Context: The character has been tasked by village elders to steal an idol, a holy relic from a temple of snake men, and bring it back to the elders for a ritual that will undo a curse upon the villagers. The character has snuck in the temple, stolen the relic without conflict, been spotted on his way out, has trucked it out of there on horse and is on his way back to the village. He is currently riding hard, keeping his head down to avoid enemy fire, attempting to navigate treacherous terrain while trying to stay present enough in the moment to multi-task and find landmarks that will lead him to safety and end the chase.

Mechanical Context: The character has Ride/Athletics, Nature, Stealth, Perception, Knowledge Local.

Skill being used: Ride/Athletics - Failure.

Check Result and Resultant Fiction: The character fails the Ride/Athletics check. Instead of an advantageous result, adversity manifests. Instead of distancing himself from pursuit, pursuit gains. Instead of moving to an area to obscure himself from his pursuit, he has moved to an area that corners him. Over the next rise, a gorge (distance across is a very difficult DC to jump on horseback) drops some 150 feet to rocky, river rapids...depth unknown. He knows there is a landbridge that goes across this gorge...but where is it?

Skill Challenge 2 - Find the Entrance of the Gobbledeegook Monastery Through the Recovery of the Lore Captured Within the Lost Scrolls of Bob the Monk

Conflict Resolution - Does the character locate the Lost Scrolls of Bob the Monk, and if he does, does he learn the location of the entrance of Gobbledeegook Monastery?

Chronology: End

Narrative Context: The character has followed rumors in successive villages that led him to a high mountain pass, isolated from the world. He braved the extreme environmental conditions. He climbed the mountain. He followed the dung tracks of a courtier on muleback and then stealthily followed the courtier to the entrance of the monastery. He cannot enter through the front door so he scouts out an alternate entrance. He climbs the walls and deftly navigates a thin, icy wall that he uses as in impromptu breezeway from one tower to the next. He unlocks an out of the way entrance to a far tower door. At the bottom of the tower he finds a sub-basement entrance. Inside, the walls are scrawled with odd markings. Try as he might, he is unable to ascertain enough of the pictographs on the walls to navigate. He finds a monk and stealthily follows him until he finds himself in the catacombs of an ancient library. Therein, he locates the ancient scrolls with Bob the Monks sigil. He lays them out on a table and attempts to decipher the arcane writing and skim through it for the relevant information. He's discovered and in the ensuing melee a monk torches the ancient scrolls! The lore, if it was there, is lost! How will he find the entrance of Gobbledeegook Monastery?

Mechanical Context: The character has Climb/Athletics, Endurance, Insight (Decipher Script/Appraise, Sense Motive), Nature, Stealth, Streetwise/Gather Information, Perception, Knowledge History

Skill being used: Insight (if he is deciphering) or Knowledge History (if he is skimming for relevant information within the text as a landmark toward what he is looking for within the text) - Failure.

Check Result and Resultant Fiction: The character fails the Insight/Decipher Script check or Knowledge History check (contingent upon the chosen skill/how the preceding fiction of the book was conveyed). He was at the edge of his destiny. Ultimate success was at hand. Or was the relevant information actually within the text? We may never know. Instead of his goal being attained, he is battling for his life in the library catacombs within the belly of an ancient, remotely located edifice. Perhaps the library catches on fire and it spreads in the chaos of the melee? Perhaps the entirety of the monastery comes crumbling down and he must escape? Whatever the immediate result, he will need to find an alternate source of ancient lore if he is to locate and enter Gobbledeegook Monastery.

Conclusion: If the above characters' understanding of the world, and the meta-mechanics governing it, is divorced from their respective players' understanding (** and 5 is assumed to be true** ) then how is it that (i) the character will be inclined to ruminate with incredulity over the subtleties of cause/effect in this singular moment, (ii) the player loses agency, (iii) the player's immersion has become diluted?
If all of the above (and 5) is true, why would the first character think that his failure to maintain focus on spurring on his horse while navigating treacherous terrain, with deadly pursuit at his heels, with ultimate stakes (his life and the villages) led to a gorge manifesting over the next ridge?
If all of the above (and 5) is true, why would the second character think that his failure to decipher the script or locate the lore via skimming by way of historical navigation (the final failure of the skill challenge which leads to the consequences of failure of the outlined Conflict Resolution) has caused either the lore to not be within the text, to disappear from the text, or for him to be caught in the act and the text to be burned in the ensuing melee?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases