D&D 5E With Respect to the Door and Expectations....The REAL Reason 5e Can't Unite the Base

pemerton

Legend
So let's see how we can model Come and Get It shall we?
As I understand it, Champions doesn't really do director stance, does it? Except via (say) Uncanny Luck abilities. So it might have a hard time with a power like Come and Get It, or (say) a class ability that 1x/session makes an NPC fall hopelessly in love with the character.

Imagine a scenario where the PCs are a team, but have different priorities for the adventure. PC1's driving goal is rescuing his love. PC2 wants the BBEG dead.

The PCs enter the final room. The love is caged of to the side and is being slowly (probably 5-10 rounds left) being killed. The BBEG is in the centre surrounded by guards and probably has an escape route -- he's done it before.

PC1 moves away from the group towards his love. He is unwilling to risk further harm to his love and wants to break the cage.

Player 2 looks at the situation and believes the love is not in imminent danger and thinks the fight is going to be hard enough to warrant all PCs immediate attention. PC2 uses Get Over there and shifts PC1 towards the flank of the BBEG. The player has PC2 say "Not yet! Deal with the bad-guy first!"

Has PC1 changed his mind? Is he setting aside his tactical goal to help take down the BBEG or does the move simply delay him a round as he shifts back? What stirred him so hard he took several involuntary steps away from his goal? How does his love react to his sudden turn-about with respect to both PC1 and PC2? How will PC1 feel towards himself and towards PC2 should the love die because the combat goes too long?
I agree with you that the scenario you describe can't sensibly be done purely at the ingame level.

The disconnect occurs when player 1 thinks there is a tactical value to PC2 moving and player 2 disagrees.

<snip>

Whereas at my table, PCs do end up in conflict, rivalies do develop, and area effect powers are tossed into combats with allies both willing and unwilling.
That's why I think the application of the power has to be resolved at the metagame level, via player-to-player negotiation, if this sort of disagreement comes up.

So in your rescue case, if the players have their conversation and agree that PC 1 will be moved by player 2's use of PC 2's power, the narration can be clear - maybe along the lines of "PC 2 calls out to PC 1, Wait - you can't help her until we stop BBEG - remember we have to work together as a team, and then we'll all make it out fine!"

You may think that speaks in favour of your "threat to immersion" thesis, of course! Whereas for me, these parts of play - especially because, in practice, they tend to play out at the meta and ingame levels simultaneously - help reinfroce immersion in the fiction, a strong sense of the stakes, and the integration of the at-table mechanical experience with the in-head imagined fiction.

Pemerton's rewrite to make the power offer PC1 the choice moves the power back to a negotiation.
As I've said, I don't really think of it as a rewrite. I think of it as making sense of a certain rules economy on the part of the designers.

But what is more interesting is what your view is of the negotiation itself - I'm speculating that you would find it immersion-breaking, but maybe I'm wrong.

This is where the character strategies and group tactics are handled. Player A and Player B have a "tactical conversation" across the table and Player A agrees to be the target of Player B's "game-world" effect.
That's what I was thinking in my posts. But maybe Nagol counts this as evidence in favour of it's disruption of his immersion.

Tony Vargas

Legend
In Champions, the association is performed by the player at design time when he decides how his energy blast works and then that's how it works. But with CaGI, Nagol's point is the player may be associating it differently each time it is used.
Depending on the F/X a Champions power might be described quite differently each time it's used. For instance, a ray-gun that shoots a deadly blast of N-rays probably always shoots a deadly blast of N-rays, defined as an RKAe. OTOH, a deadly martial technique (also a killing attack, but HKAp), might be somewhat different in execution or consequences (thus, in it's in-fiction 'association') when used against a human being than when used against an insectoid alien or robot.

Nagol

Unimportant
As I understand it, Champions doesn't really do director stance, does it? Except via (say) Uncanny Luck abilities. So it might have a hard time with a power like Come and Get It, or (say) a class ability that 1x/session makes an NPC fall hopelessly in love with the character.

Yeah. Champions tends to avoid director stance. Like I said, it's one of my favourite game systems (go figure.. considering the discussion). The hopelessly in love can be modeled a couple of different ways though.

<snip>
But what is more interesting is what your view is of the negotiation itself - I'm speculating that you would find it immersion-breaking, but maybe I'm wrong.

That's what I was thinking in my posts. But maybe Nagol counts this as evidence in favour of it's disruption of his immersion.

If PC 2 is trying to change PC 1's mind through negotiation, it's terrific for immersion. If player 2 is negotiting how the scene can play out with player 1 then it's lousy for my immersion.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
You may feel that I am still missing your point, but here's the message I'm taking home:

If I say that 4e is the first version of D&D (with the partial exception of AD&D OA) to deliver, for me, the promise of the Foreword of Moldvay Basic, I have to expect to be called on that by others who have had different experiences;

But if someone says Come and Get It is immersion-wrecking (with or without a qualification "for me"), and I chime in to point out that it doesn't wreck my immersion, I'm not being helpful.

Is there a double standard here? Or are you saying that I have to expect others to be unhelpful, but I'm obliged to be helpful myself!

Or am I still missing the point?
I don't want to say you're missing the point again. Sorry for that statement the first time.

I think you're taking it things that certain posters say, and assuming that anytime anyone says something along the same lines, they mean the same thing. It's that spreadshot-like effect I'm speaking out against.

Sure, people question your statements, even aggressively, when you say that the game didn't deliver for you. You've qualified appropriately. Later, someone else might say why what you said doesn't match their experience, and you'll say why your experience happened for you. Still all good. Later, someone else will say that something wrecked immersion for them, and you'll say that it doesn't for you. All good.

What happens in this conversation, unfortunately, is that people say "it ruined immersion for me" and then people question it, as Hussar pointed it. "That ruined immersion for you but hit points don't?" These same people get questioned in exactly the same way that you do. These people, who express what is happening for them, get questioned and dismissed and sometimes even attacked in the same way you are when you express what happened for you.

And it shouldn't be that way. And then, extending those same arguments to people who haven't made the same statements just makes things worse. In my view, at least. Does that clear up what I mean, yet? As always, play what you like :)

For what it was worth to do so, thanks for sticking your neck out like that. I at least appreciate it!
I couldn't XP you again yet, so it was the least I could do. No worries, man.

It's a simple question and it's been answered multiple times. It's because 'disocciation' is entirely subjective, so there's nothing but personal experience to discuss.
I'm going to reply lightly to this, because I feel I'm not going to get anywhere productive with you in this thread. For the purposes of this thread and the discussion, I'll still respond, so people know my thoughts on it.
My friends and I create the game world during play. My friends and I connect the mechanics to the game world during play.
I think that JA meant "inherently associated" in his article, not "can be associated" or the like. But, again, I'm not going to go further into it unless questioned by someone else.
Which of those pairs of statements says what is happening? Which allows a constructive conversation to evolve rather that simple gainsaying?
Almost certainly the second batch for the majority of conflict-oriented discussions. Now, let's get away from GNS, The Big Model, GDS, dissociated mechanics, unbalanced, balanced, linear fighter/quadratic wizard, not D&D, and all the other sets of terminology that mostly just cause divides in these discussions.
Again, this is why every 'discussion' on this topic will continue to go in never-ending circles of restating contradictory experiences.
Disagreed. But I'll agree to disagree. If you have a response to me, I'll let you have the last word. As always, play what you like :)

pemerton

Legend
If PC 2 is trying to change PC 1's mind through negotiation, it's terrific for immersion. If player 2 is negotiting how the scene can play out with player 1 then it's lousy for my immersion.
I think when forced movement is used by one PC against another PC with a power that is obviously a buffing power, it is likely to be closer to the first than the second of your two alternatives. The player of PC 2 is trying to change the player of PC 1's mind about what PC 1 wants, by the (typical, in my experienc) mixture of in character ("You're part of a team, man!") and meta ("If you're not over here, then my speedball special won't work properly!) arguments.

The invoker in my game can slide one ally as a free action every time he uses an encounter or daily. This is always done in "consent mode", even though mechanically it is forced movement (again, I regard this just as a technical convenience adopted by the designers).

The power that actually causes more issues is the drow's Cloud of Darkness - because when he drops that (1x/enc) only he can see through it or inside it. So there are frequent complaints about his use of it, and frequent discussions before he uses it about where, when etc. And that is the mix of incharacter and meta arguments that I described above. If any conflict about PC vs PC forced movement ever came up, I would expect it to play out with the same table dynamics.

Maybe the rulebooks should have had a brief sidebar on PC vs PC forced movement?

I think that JA meant "inherently associated" in his article, not "can be associated" or the like.
I may have misunderstood, but I read [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] as denying that there is any such category as "inherently associated" - that all episodes of play involve people sitting around deploying various mechanical techniques, and making decisions and/or reaching agreement about how those techniques produce or relate to outcomes in a shared fiction.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I may have misunderstood, but I read [MENTION=99817]chaochou[/MENTION] as denying that there is any such category as "inherently associated" - that all episodes of play involve people sitting around deploying various mechanical techniques, and making decisions and/or reaching agreement about how those techniques produce or relate to outcomes in a shared fiction.
Then I just gotta say I disagree. As always, play what you like :)

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>
The power that actually causes more issues is the drow's Cloud of Darkness - because when he drops that (1x/enc) only he can see through it or inside it. So there are frequent complaints about his use of it, and frequent discussions before he uses it about where, when etc. And that is the mix of incharacter and meta arguments that I described above. If any conflict about PC vs PC forced movement ever came up, I would expect it to play out with the same table dynamics.

As a sidebar, I had the same issue with my favorite Champions character, DarkStar. He had a field of darkness that did not hinder him and acted as the basis for many of his powers, especially defences, while he was inside it. It took a bit of time for the team to gel its tactics when he would conceal a good portion of a battlefield consistently!

I expect it's not too shocking when I say we worked through the problems in character?

Crazy Jerome

First Post
The invoker in my game can slide one ally as a free action every time he uses an encounter or daily. This is always done in "consent mode", even though mechanically it is forced movement (again, I regard this just as a technical convenience adopted by the designers).

I thought all "forced" movement of allies was always "consent mode" by explicit 4E rule? Or is that what you meant?

Remove ads