D&D 5E How much should 5e aim at balance?

Grabuto138

First Post
I should have made it clearer. The narrativist wants an effect defined explicitly. The description of how the effect works if irrelevant and they'll make up a new one if the default one doesn't work. A simulation is more than willing to apply the effect as defined so long as the description does not conflict with the situation.

Example: (While underwater)
Narrativist: I superheat the water around the enemy and scald him.
DM: huh?
Narrativist whispers: I'm using my fireball.

Simulationist: I want to cast my fireball but will this water stop it?
DM: The small bead will detonate upon impact with the water at the tip of your finger. Most of the blast will dissipate but you may take a little damage. 1d6 or so.

You've obviously lived a hard life as a player. I feel for ya.

I find that most of this adjudication of stuff concerns spells in earlier editions. Not saying the martial never tries something unusual but it's usually already clearer.

Emerikol, I am starting to doubt your intentions. 1e is explicit on its rules for Fireball - "Fire based spells (such as Fireball) will not function at all underwater". (1e DMG 56)

You can houserule in 1e, 4e , Shadowrun or Monopoly. But what is your point?

Emerikol

Adventurer
It's a pretty sad, quite pervasive attitude in the D&D community, and one at odds with the relative 'popularity' of the fighter class. Garthanos has this theory that it's 'geeks' vicariously getting back at 'jocks' by ruling against the big dumb fighter... My theory is more that it's just easier to accept magic doing whatever, because there's no point of reference, while martial abilities have a clear point of reference IRL. Sometimes I think his might be right. ;(
I think of the two opinions yours is the most rational. The reason is that fighters have always been a very popular class for the people who Garthenos claims hates the class so that doesn't hold up. I've never played a wizard in a campaign. I'm a thief/rogue guy mostly. I'm sure Pathfinder campaigns have no more difficulty recruiting fighters as 4e campaigns do.

I'm in the camp of cinematic realism but I don't want it to be ridiculous. So grabbing a river and shaking it straight is not what I consider acceptable. Jumping up and grabbing a chandelier and swinging over the enemy I can accept.

The key here though is are there ways to make all camps happy or to even get close. Instead of denying my views are even valid why not seek mechanisms that support both sides as much as possible. I think Combat Superiority is a prime example of WOTC trying to do exactly that.

Spells did a lot more and more complex rules that tended to be more vague and open-ended, so there is that, in earlier editions - you'd expect more adjudications of spells than of "I attack the orc on the right with my axe." But, you'd also expect them to fall evenly on the side of reigning in magical power (disallowing what the spell does mechanically) as setting it loose (allowing more than the spell does, mechanically). IMX, it shakes out more towards the latter, with the former coming up only after a spell has demonstrably broken the game. Of course, the former is fiercely resisted by the player, while the latter is passionately championed, so there's that self-interest going into it, too.

Adjudication of martial options is less common, and usually a lot simpler. If it's not something the DM feels is realistic (and that varies), he'll say no, if it's anything that might work a little better than a boring old attack, he'll give it some massive penalty.

I will admit in those days when I adjudicated I did so based on what I felt was believable and not based upon game balance. But I definitely wouldn't think that my wizard players would think I was easy on them.

Emerikol

Adventurer
Emerikol, I am starting to doubt your intentions. 1e is explicit on its rules for Fireball - "Fire based spells (such as Fireball) will not function at all underwater". (1e DMG 56)

You can houserule in 1e, 4e , Shadowrun or Monopoly. But what is your point?

I'm talking about a game that specifies a result and then explains it with fluff vs a game where the flavor text is intrinsic to how it works in that world. So for the sake of my argument just pretend like they hadn't mentioned casting fireballs underwater. Or maybe we can use the case where the caster is in a vacuum in a space suit. It was just an illustrative point.

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
I think they should aim for perfect balance, but the only real way to achieve that would be to aim for balance during design and work toward it during play testing.

Do I think they can achieve balance? Not with their current crew. They won't even listen to basic requests from their own fans. What makes you think they will listen when fans point out broken combos or features?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My theory is more that it's just easier to accept magic doing whatever, because there's no point of reference, while martial abilities have a clear point of reference IRL.

Yes.

I'm in the camp of cinematic realism but I don't want it to be ridiculous. So grabbing a river and shaking it straight is not what I consider acceptable. Jumping up and grabbing a chandelier and swinging over the enemy I can accept.

Yes.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm talking about a game that specifies a result and then explains it with fluff vs a game where the flavor text is intrinsic to how it works in that world.
That's at least getting into a mechanical distinction. The former is what I've gotten used to (from discussions of Hero System) calling an 'effects based' system. The advantages of such systems are myriad. They use fewer mechanical sub-systems to model the same range of things, they can be expanded with few or no additional mechanics, they can be turned to a variety of genres or tuned to a variety of styles with relative ease. The only disadvantage - and it's a doozy - is the level of abstraction between the mechanic that resolves the effect, and the 'special effect' that causes it to happen. In a mechanical (gamist) sense, what's 'really happening' is the end result effect, and in a narrative or simulation sense, what's 'really happening' is the special effect.

In Hero, for instance, the rules for designing the mechanic are detailed and fairly precise (there's some room for GM-approved hand-waving when it comes to limitation), while the rules for the special effect are prettymuch anything-goes - but /both/ are highly customizeable. The GM, to paint a certain sort of genre or campaign, can always limit what powers are available or what special effects they can be used to model, as well as how powerful ('Active Points') a given power can be. And, there are powers and limitations that work based on special effects, with values the DM bases on how common that special effect will be in his campaign, so you can actually customize the degree of interaction between mechanic and F/X you like - if you've sufficient mastery of the system (and that's another doozy).

4e is not so committedly nor so consistently effects-based as Hero. While they both use the term 'power,' for instance, a Hero power is a building-block that can be customized to the nth degree, while a Hero power is a complete character action that you either choose or don't choose. Conversely, a Hero 'special effect' is chosen when the power is created, and can be have some reference to how it interacts with other (specific) powers and any power with specific limitations, based on how 'common' the DM deems the F/X, while flavor text in 4e is casually mutable and has no bearing on mechanical resolution save by DM fiat overriding the rules. And, outside of powers, Hero remains consistently effects-based (your STR could represent musculature, no-range telekinesis, bionics, power armor, or a magic belt, for instance), while 4e, beyond power and character description, largely drops the concept with respect to stats, skills, and other character abilities.

I can understand people not liking Hero, it's an enormously complex, terribly abstract system , with some odd foibles, and takes, IMX, a year of attempted play to even really grasp, and who knows how long to 'master.' Plus, it has some real problems, from a few broken mechanics that have become enshrined (like the KA 'stun Lotto'), to it's bloated open-ended skill system. I can even understand them not liking it /because/ it's effects-based, because it is so relentlessly effects-based.

4e, I don't see the turn-off so much. The effects-based component (powers) is not that hard to ignore and has little impact on the playability of the game, and it is an easy to pick up, easy to run game that doesn't much punish 'lack of system mastery' early on, while having enough breadth, choice, and customizeability that system mastery inevitably creeps in to hold the interest of the more jaded player (comme moi).

Emerikol

Adventurer
...interesting notes on Hero...

I find 4e unplayable for me. I hesitate to list why because the gang will all show up and rant about how issues don't even exist. I'd prefer to go to work as stay home and play 4e. Thats just me.

I think 3e needs some work as would Pathfinder. I am guardedly optimistic about 5e because at least it doesn't have the AEDU structure which means that it will be possible at least for me to ban the stuff thats most offensive to me. There really was no escaping things in 4e that I disliked.

I would probably take a retroclone and add in a more advanced skill system. I dislike most of D&D's skill systems. I prefer lots of skills and lots of skill points.

Pickles JG

First Post
Yes.

Yes.

A complicating factor with D&D, which did not come up enough in the Mythic Warrior thread is how D&D is level based. The expectations regarding low level & high level characters are different. It is obvious that high level D&D wizards have access to far more world changing spells than low level ones (Wish vs Light). This means that their ability to be gonzo changes dramatically over levels. Fighters on the oither hand are ill defined.

When people describe how they want fighters to behave in 5e are they talking about a particular level band or the whole gamut? Do they expect fighters to change how far they can stretch real world plausibility from level one to level 20 or do they expect the epic PCs to be able to do just what a farmboy could?

For me I am happy to go from almost realistic action movies to much less plausible action movies over the course of a playing career. I could live with mythic though I feel its better to start out pretty mythic if you are going to do this (though this is partly an artefact of how dissociative levels are for me).

Similarly starting out gritty then becoming more action movie & gonzo seems odd as you seem to be changing genre throughout your career.

Action "movie" is more or less the power level of 4e so it's another reason it's a good fit for me though epic destinies feel a bit arse about :):):).

Would tiers work better if they were "modules" reflecting different styles of play & you were not expected to cross the boundaries, without recognising that the whole feel of the game would change?

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think of the two opinions yours is the most rational. The reason is that fighters have always been a very popular class for the people who Garthenos claims hates the class so that doesn't hold up.
Yeah, if you just look at the mechanics of the classes, the storied popularity of the fighter is inexplicable. If you look at the archetypes it represents, though, it makes a lot more sense. The genre is /filled/ with warriors, very few of them run around casting spells like Paladins and Rangers, it's a lot less full of thieves and casters.

I've never played a wizard in a campaign. I'm a thief/rogue guy mostly.
As I understand from other conversations, you mostly DM. So that's how I mostly take your opinions: not from the perspective of a player trying to get away with something for a favored class, but from that of a DM wishing to use the system to shape the campaign to his vision.

I'm sure Pathfinder campaigns have no more difficulty recruiting fighters as 4e campaigns do.
If you look through the story hour, you'll find long-running, successful 3.x (even 2e to 3.0 to 3.5) campaigns, in which every PC is a caster.

On the flip side, 4e campaigns have no need to 'recruit' fighters, as long as you get some sort of defender, you can play the concept you like. There's even an arcane defender. But, sure, 4e campaigns have more than enough martial characters. When the essentials-only rule is lifted at Encounters-like events, you even end up with all-martial parties.

The key here though is are there ways to make all camps happy or to even get close.
No, there are too many of these 'camps' that are too inflexible, there's no way /5e/ could make them all happy, nor even come close. Though, honestly, they all should have already been happy before: happily gobbling up new material for & playing 4e or Pathfinder or DCC or OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord or Myth & Magic or their other retro-clone of choice.

I think 3e needs some work as would Pathfinder.
There will be another ed of Pathfinder eventually.

Instead of denying my views are even valid why not seek mechanisms that support both sides as much as possible.
In part because some of the things you say in support of those views strike me as invalid, and I have that afore-mentioned little compulsion to set the record straight. Also in part because we don't see eye-to-eye on a lot of issues. But, sure, I'd love to spend more time talking up good ideas for 5e than talking down misrepresentations of 4e.

I think Combat Superiority is a prime example of WOTC trying to do exactly that.
They're trying to do something. ;) CS hints at the kind of potential the 3.x fighter had. Customizeability and round-by-round versatility. Problem was, plonked down in a world full of 'tier-1' Vancian casters, enemies that could paste him in one round, and monsters he couldn't use any of his cute tricks against, even if that potential had been fulfilled, it wouldn't've been just another trap choice. I see very little to indicate that the 5e fighter is going to do any better. There's a lot more to be seen, of course, but I'm not the optimistic type.

Last edited:

tresson

First Post
@pemerton (along with extremely few others of which @Piratecat is one) has, I suspect, a talent for taking pretty much any rpg system you can think of and making out of it a game that you and I would both gladly take a seat in.

If every DM was like this all these design discussions would simply disappear; and that would sure be nice. :)

Lan-"that said, the weekly commute to Australia would be a female dog"-efan

Might I suggest that the game should be built around the idea it's DM'd by an average DM and not a perfect one?

Remove ads