Monte Cook's new RPG: Numenera [UPDATED]

Otakkun

Explorer
Well, Monte has reached his Kickstarter goal already, and that's great news.

I just hope he adds some stretch goals in there, like improved art (I love what he has right now, but so far wotc & paizo lead the way, I'd love to add Monte to that short list).

He could also fit in there additional electronic support, things like a compendium for example.

Anyway, I'm really exited about this.

I'm probably going to pledge to the 30 bucks stage anyway wherver he adds stretch goals or not xD

Jupp

Explorer
The thing is that after 1 billion years humanity will have de/evolved so much that I am not sure how recogniseable they would be to us. That is if humanity is even destined to survive a billion years from now on if you believe some of the scientific papers regarding human evolution and the changes our planet will go through in the far future. For starters there is also an interesting wikipedia entry about the future of our planet ( Future of the Earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). It is all speculation but a lot of the speculation is backed by our scientific knowledge we have gathered so far.

Personally I do not see humanity in its current "configuration" existing on this planet in a few thousand years.

Jupp

Explorer
I think the real problem with a 'billion years' is well illustrated on this board. A specific number allows speculation and comparisons to real science.

I think this is something that every sci-fantasy or sci-fi setting has to accept. As soon as you include science into the mix people will start to relate and compare to the real world; even more so if Earth is the main place of the setting.

Most of the best sci-fi settings or novels are based on scientific background because that is what makes them believable to the reader; like fantasy settings are "believable" because alot of them are based on the lore and myths from the past civilisations.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Ahh so the new civilisation aren't human. At least that's believable. Having evolution reset nine times is a cool idea.

Although the website has humans on it. mmm.

Probably better to scrap the billion. It's silly if they want to include human like species in it.

Mallus

Legend
Most of the best sci-fi settings or novels are based on scientific background because that is what makes them believable to the reader; like fantasy settings are "believable" because alot of them are based on the lore and myths from the past civilisations.
You mean like Dune, a novel where the artificial Messiah, bred by a coven of cynical, telepathic, ninja-witches, comes of age in a quasi-feudal space empire that runs on a hallucinogenic, life-extending, magic drug that's also a rather transparent stand-in for petroleum?

(mind you, I love Dune, even the Lynch film version)

Or Star Wars?

Or Star Trek, for that matter.

Last edited:

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Wow. This thread is proof of why RPG players get stereotyped the way that we are. This sounds like an awesome RPG, and instead of talking about how awesome it is, most of this thread is arguing over whether 1 billion years is accurate or not.

sigh

Personally, this looks pretty cool, and I look forward to reading more about this and spending a lot of time going through the website.

Remove ads