I need helping making making a character for Tournament!!!!

digitaldark

First Post
Ok, I need some helping putting together an uber-munchkin character...the only problem is..I don't know how! I've always revolved characters around a concept...and we're (me and a bunch of friends) gonna have a dnd-fest where 3 groups of 5 characters race through a dungeon and battle it out on the other side...

I have 10 character levels to work with..and the character can have starting equipment equal to a 15th level character..the only stipulation is that only material from books by WotC can be used.......

any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.....

Last edited:

Drawmack

First Post

I have a pdf on how to munchkin on my system at work. I'll post a link to where I got it from monday if someone doesn't do it before then but I can give you some basics I got from reading the article.

(No I'm not a munchkin but I wanted to know how to spot one in my game.)

Average Damage: %chance of hitting/100 * average damage = average damage per round.

This will let you know what feats to take and when to use them.

Average HP Loss: %chance of being hit/100 * average damage = ahpl/round

This will allow you to balance defense and offense because munchkinizing one area too much leaves to large of a hole.

Know what you're going to do. A munchinkinized character is really good at something. What will you be really good at (i.e. the tank, uber-healer, trap disabler guy, etc.)? Once you have answered this question you can set your stats up appropriatly based on the key ability for the skills and saves you will need.

There's a lot more to it but those are the basics.

Personally I would build a lvl 1 munchkinized character and then level him up nine times it'll be easier then trying to figure out everything for a 10th level character from the top.

hope that helps.

Judging from the some of the discussions over in the archer thread, consider an archer character.

Wood elf (+2 Str, +2 Dex), take a level of cleric (elf & war domains) for free weapon focus, point blank shot, and access to true strike, then a bunch of fighter levels (all archery feats, weapon specialization), then go into one of the broken archer PrCs (OOBI/PA/DWS).

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
If you're going to play an elf archer cleric, the only prestige classes you should even consider touching are Templar and Sacred Exorcist. (Mettle is a wonderful ability).

Full clerical spell progression is far better than any of the abilities you'd get out of the other books. Which would you rather be able to do--fire a bow in melee without provoking an AoO or cast Flame Strike, Raise Dead, Persistent Divine Favor (be sure to use a Bead of Karma), etc?

That being said, however, consider coordinating with your friends to come up with some tactics. What if you all bought gems (or Helms--DotF) of True Seeing and walked around in an enlarged, heightened Deeper Darkness spell? Or if you cast Blindsight on the whole party and did the same thing? How about if you all had expert tactician then? What kind of synergies could you all get working together? Ordinarily the S&F Dual Strike feat isn't that great but what if everyone in the party had it?

Think about how you'd respond to situations: What if you run into fog? Monsters with blindsight? Tremorsense? Incorporeal creatures? At that kind of level those are things you can expect to come up against.

You should also consider purchasing equipment with other people in mind. What if everyone in your group bought two arrows of slaying and gave them to the archer? You'd have an arrow of slaying for everything you might encounter. What if everyone bought 50 +1 x-bane arrows. You could have a bane arrow for every foe you encountered too. The cast GMW on them (using the bead of karma) and you have effectively +6 arrows (bane arrows function as if they were +2 more than the normal enhancement bonus against their targetted foes) that do an extra 2d6 points of damage.

Think about tactics that work in tournaments better than home-games too. Sunder may trash loot in a home game but do you came about that in a tournament? Get Improved Sunder, adamantium weapons and a clvl 15 scroll of GMW (heck, make that a clvl 15 scroll of Chained GMW and get all of your weapons in one hit) and then go to town on your foes weapons. What about Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Ordinarily you'd be hesistant to use it on your foes but since looting them doesn't matter, get your wizard a scroll of it. When an opposing party shows up buffed to the hilt, hit them with Mord's Disjunction!

Think about consumables too. If you're playing that cleric, get a scroll of Persistent Divine Power (8th level, clvl 15). You only need to roll a 2 in order to successfully use it when your Bead of Karma is working.

Olgar Shiverstone said:
Judging from the some of the discussions over in the archer thread, consider an archer character.

Wood elf (+2 Str, +2 Dex), take a level of cleric (elf & war domains) for free weapon focus, point blank shot, and access to true strike, then a bunch of fighter levels (all archery feats, weapon specialization), then go into one of the broken archer PrCs (OOBI/PA/DWS).

Remove ads