Reclaiming Blingdenstone (Traps)

Baileyborough

First Post
So I've been reading the adventure, and overall I quite like it.

One area that's really confusing me is the traps however.

At one point (Wormwrithings), it mentions a net trap set by Kobolds. It says PCs can attempt DC15 Wisdom check to spot the trap (fine), or DC13 Intelligence check if they are actively looking.

2 things:

1. If they do the Wis check, are they not already looking?
2. How does that work thematically?

The rest of the adventure (so far) has PCs using Intelligence to spot traps etc. That doesn't bother me, it's just confusing to have both, especially if it makes no thematic sense. I'd be interested to hear what ye think.

DogBackward

First Post
If they're just walking through the area, not specifically looking for traps, then they get a chance to spot it anyway (Wisdom). They notice a bit of rope hanging out somewhere, or something. If they are looking for traps, though, then they can make an easier check using Intelligence.

Basically, you get a chance to notice things whether you're actively looking for them or not. It's just easier if you're actually looking, and you can use reasoning instead of basic perception... figuring out where the best place to put a trap would be, for example, and then looking there.

Baileyborough

First Post
But if they're not actively looking, does that mean the Wisdom DC is essentially for "passive perception"? Ie need a wisdom of 20 (I think) to auto spot traps?

Find and removing traps is int, while perception is wis. It in the background section on skills.
And Yes, it should be a bit easier if you look for them.

Also I can´t find the passive skills section anymore in the new playtest materials.

MarkB

Legend
I'd run it like this:

If the players say they're actively looking for traps as they enter the area, ask for Intelligence checks.

If they don't mention such precautions, then when at least one of them is about to trigger the trap, ask for Wisdom checks. If one of them makes the DC, he notices the trap and can warn his allies. If not, the trap is triggered.

ComradeGnull

First Post
But if they're not actively looking, does that mean the Wisdom DC is essentially for "passive perception"? Ie need a wisdom of 20 (I think) to auto spot traps?

That is the way I would take it.

* Walking along, not looking for anything in particular: Wis
* Carefully investigating as you go: Int

So thematically I would interpret it as: if you are not looking for something, your Wis score gives your odds of noticing that something is off before walking into a trap. If you are actively looking at things as you go along, your Int score determines if you can recognize that a feature of the terrain is actually the trigger for a trap. Wisdom is intuitive realization that 'something is off', Intelligence is figuring out the purpose of something in your environment.

Nagol

Unimportant
What about the case where the Wis roll is easier even though the DC is harder -- say a Wis 16 Int 8 character.

Shouldn't someone actively looking get both rolls since the trap is poorly enough hidden to allow a perception chance anyway?

jrowland

First Post
PC's walk into a room and into a trap, no searching or looking.
Wis 20 (passive - ie beat dc 15 +5 ) to spot trap

PC's walk into a room and into a trap, "looking around the room".
Wis check at DC 15

PC's walk into a room and into a trap, "looking for traps".
Int check DC 13

PC's walk into a room and into a trap, some PCs "looking around the room" and some PCs "looking for traps"
Wis check at DC 15 for those looking around
Int check DC 13 for those looking for traps

PC's LOOK into a room, and are "looking around the room"
Wis check at DC 15
check unsuccessful but PCs are still suspicious so they "move into room looking for traps"
Int check DC 13

So on and so forth

Nagol

Unimportant

PC's walk into a room and into a trap, "looking around the room".
Wis check at DC 15

PC's walk into a room and into a trap, "looking for traps".
Int check DC 13

PC's walk into a room and into a trap, some PCs "looking around the room" and some PCs "looking for traps"
Wis check at DC 15 for those looking around
Int check DC 13 for those looking for traps

PC's LOOK into a room, and are "looking around the room"
Wis check at DC 15
check unsuccessful but PCs are still suspicious so they "move into room looking for traps"
Int check DC 13

So on and so forth

Right so the wise character should always just look around the room rather than for traps.

I suggest it should be more like:

PC's walk into a room "looking around the room".
Wis check at DC 15

followed by (if the trap not spotted)

PC's in room "look for traps".
Int check DC 13

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases