Underneath the Undeath [DM: Voda Vosa; Judge: ?]

WEContact

First Post
OOC: wait wait wait wait wait. i believe i miss understand. I can just roll a different skill and give somone a bonus instead for try and hit for the 6??
OOC: Skill challenges are usually not very strict. Be creative, try to find ways that you can use your trained skills to help the party- even if it's not a main skill, you can avoid adding a failure.

If we're supposed to make a moderate/hard DC six times before failing four times for skills based on a dump stat for 2/3 of the party, people are going to have to spend a lot of time using Aid Another or secondary skills.

Chambers does his best to make up for the group's hapless blundering. He jogs back and forth from the front of the group to the back and to the front again, alternately marking the trail and then camouflaging (not erasing, not with the carnage Boris is inflicting on the underbrush, but he's not trying to fool skilled trackers, just a troll) the signs of their passage, and then rushing to the front to blaze more trail.

Logan briefly considers telling Boris to quit tearing holes in the forest, but thinks better of it- this group wouldn't be able to move through the brush quickly otherwise, and they're better off counting on speed rather than stealth at this point. He had had his doubts about the minotaur, but he is immensely relieved to find the soft-spoken beast quietly keeping the group on the correct heading while Logan tends to their tracks.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
OOC: darn i cant use heroic effort lol

As the party works their way through the forest, Alek is constantly looking over Chambers shoulder, trying to look at the map in order to help figure which way to go.

Alek's help just gets the group more lost.

You have +0 on insight? Nice! First failure.

[sblock=OOC] I have -1 on each of the main skills. So I'll try and use a different skill to provide someone with a bonus for their check [/sblock]

That's alright, although if you are using a skill not listed to aid, you still need to hit the DC, so that counts as a failure in aiding. Someone of my choosing will have a -2 in their roll on the next round.

"
OOC: Also attempting to provide someone a bonus. After that start we're going to need as many +2s as we can muster.:p

Good! You have a +2 to give to someone on the next round of rolls. I'll give more detail once this round of checks is over.

OOC: wait wait wait wait wait. i believe i miss understand. I can just roll a different skill and give somone a bonus instead for try and hit for the 6??

OOC: Skill challenges are usually not very strict. Be creative, try to find ways that you can use your trained skills to help the party- even if it's not a main skill, you can avoid adding a failure.

If we're supposed to make a moderate/hard DC six times before failing four times for skills based on a dump stat for 2/3 of the party, people are going to have to spend a lot of time using Aid Another or secondary skills.

What he said, you can be creative with your trained skills to provide a +2 to a party memeber if you succeed and a -2 if you fail. They won't count against the total roll count to win the challenge, but you are entitled one roll per round. The more rounds it takes for you all to finish the challenge the more time it will take for you to pass the forest... Sometimes reckless actions have their rewards.

Waiting on [MENTION=57009]Dekana[/MENTION] right now...

Dekana

Explorer
Ilse tries to put herself in the mind of the troll. If the party can just avoid the beast, they could take the direct route through the forest and save a lot of time.

She thinks, Now, if I were a huge hulking green monster-man, where would I go? I'd probably be hungry, right? What do trolls eat anyway, wild ponies?

"I think we should avoid any sources of food or water," Ilse offers helpfully to Chambers. The psychic girl's emotions radiate quite strongly, and he can almost feel the pride that she is enjoying in having come up with such a clever solution.

OOC: I'll go ahead and be reckless with my +0 to all primary skills. It's either that or Intimidate one of my party members into performing better.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Alek and Ilse probe that they were much better at the tavern than at the open. Their advice is either faulty or inaccurate, leading the party to lose some valuable time. Logan and Kurnos however seemed to be more in touch with reality when making their decisions, and manage not to loose themselves in the treacherous woods. Boris tries to help the party to move faster by chopping the vines and spines with his sword, but only gets himself entangled in them. The forest seems not to be eager to let some guy in armor chop everything down to size! The wizard is able to remember something about the first drawing in Vermitrax's map. The Lover's waterfall. A small water jump, used as a central scene in an old story. He remembers a cave behind the waterfall the lovers in the tale used to hide from the lass' parents.

The day goes on, and the party is still struggling into the wild as the sun begins its descend again into the horizon. The forest turns from lush green into deep purple, as darkness envelope our heroes. Ahead, they hear the rumbling of water, and at Zaroach's advice, the party press forward.
They are greet by the humid micro-weather that surrounds the waterfall.

003011MD6.8.14-small-waterfall.jpg

After a few seconds of contemplating the peaceful image, the howl from last night breaks the silence. This time, much closer! The group can hear branches snapping and trees falling not far from where they are!

SE3: Don’t get lost in the forest, or the Troll will eat you: Perception, thievery, dungeoneering, Stealth . Players need to evade a gigantinc troll in the wilderness and reach destination, all in a day’s work. DC: 15, gain 6 successes before 4 failures. We'll play this in parts, Post one roll each, and then depending on the results, we'll keep going.
So far the group has accumulated 2 failures and 2 successes. There's a +2 bonus and a -2 penalty hanging around for this round! The group mus decide what to do now!

Last edited:

WEContact

First Post
Chambers flinches at the troll's roar, and grabs Zaroch roughly by the shoulder. "That cave you mentioned? We need to be in there, now. Lead the way." While Zaroch leads the rest of the group to the cave, Logan works on obscuring footprints and arranging brush over the mouth of the cave.

Phoenix8008

First Post
The minotaur stares into the darkening forest with searching eyes while his tail flicks back and forth in a nervous manner. "The cave could be good shelter... or a deathtrap if it is the lair of the troll. I vote for looking inside briefly, but if we see signs of occupation inside, then we should leave this area quickly."

OOC: Is there a way to do the die rolls inside of making the reply/post, or is it only able to add them in afterword?

OOC: Edit after making roll: First I tried rolling this check twice after making it a 'Favorite' in the dice roller. It didn't show up in the post. So I went back and rolled it a third time regularly and it showed up. So if there is some record of 3 rolls here that someone else can see, just know that I couldn't see the first 2 at all. The third roll I got which I can see is a 21 on Perception test. I'll take that -2 hanging modifier to drop that to a 19 and still grab a success hopefully. Although I wasn't sure if we were supposed to be making more rolls yet or just deciding whether or not to camp in the cave. It seemed appropriate though, so I went for it. DM can choose not to count if it wasn't supposed to happen.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
OOC: Is there a way to do the die rolls inside of making the reply/post, or is it only able to add them in afterword?
You can post something like: "Kurnos is rolling dice." Then add the dice, and then edit the post to add a response that takes into account the result of the roll. That's what I do anyways.

Also, skills change, take a looky.

Grimmjow

First Post
Alek, feeling bad about leading the group astray, attempts to do something "useful". He walks over to a tree, and starts to climb it..........but he can't make it to the top and falls to the ground, making a fool of himself. He stands up and brushes himself off. He looks around and says "Ya...I didn't see a thing while I was up there." he than begins to walk away like nothing happened.

[sblock=ilse]Alek goes from being determined (while climbing up the tree) to being embarrassed (when he fell down)[/sblock]

OOC: i hate this skill challenge....curse you wisdom dump skill!!

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
You can post something like: "Kurnos is rolling dice." Then add the dice, and then edit the post to add a response that takes into account the result of the roll. That's what I do anyways.

Also, skills change, take a looky.

OOC: I didn't see that the skills had changed for the challenge. Luckily, Perception is still on the list! I'll do that 'making the post to do the roll first' thing from now on. Thanks.! So I assume since you didn't negate my making a check while voting for what to do about the cave that it was okay to do so?

Voda Vosa

First Post
Yeah, I kinda wanted to resolve this cave thing different, but since you guys started rolling, its ok.

Chambers and Kurnos determine that the cave is habitable, and probably too small to fit a giant troll inside. Logan tries to disguise the entrance, while Alek tries to spot the creature from a nearby tree. He falls from the tree and hurts himself!
Apparently the creature notices Alek's display. The noises of branches breaking gets closer by the second!

Watch out, you are at 1 failure of failing the challenge.
New conditions apply: Skills change to Stealth, Athletics and Nature! Alek looses 2 healing surges.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases