D&D 5E What 5e Dragon type are you most looking forward to?

Li Shenron

Legend
Red Dragon is obviously the most important one.

If I could choose for example 10 dragons in the first MM, I'd skew the selection more towards evil dragons (compared to 3ed) since they get used more frequently. Maybe this:

Red*
Black*
Blue*
White
Green
Dracolich*
Shadow*
Tiamat (unique)
Iron (neutral)
Gold (good)

I also want some non-breathing and possibly non-flying quasi-dragons such as Linnorms or Wyrms in the MM.

(edit: if the list had to be shortened to 5, I'd keep those with an * )

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Big monsters need to be able to dominate the battlefield with their size and strength. Whatever magic powers they have are just icing on the cake.

Also, dragons should be hard to injure at all (AC as good as a knight in armor with a shield), but certain attacks should be able to create chinks in their armor.

Absolutely. Your wonderful prose illustrated this point very well; dragons need to be able to deal with a full party of PCs and be fearsome. I can't wait to get our first look at a true 5th Edition dragon, and I hope for two things. First, I want it not to come before 10th level. I don't thing wyrmlings count as true dragons. And secondly, I want to see a tremendous, dynamic battle like you've described.

I'm not. I'm expecting disappointment on my dragons after the ones we got in late 4e - the system plays too fast to have dragons detailed enough to match that sort of awesome.

The dragons I am looking forward to are due to arrive next March and come from the Reaper Bones Kickstarter :p

slobster

Hero
I'm not. I'm expecting disappointment on my dragons after the ones we got in late 4e - the system plays too fast to have dragons detailed enough to match that sort of awesome.

The dragons I am looking forward to are due to arrive next March and come from the Reaper Bones Kickstarter :p

Late 4E Dragons were great. I hope they do make solo monsters at that level of detail, for the high level megathreats. Hopefully they walk the walk on their talk of modularity and recreating the feel of previous editions.

I couldn't xp you, but I would if I could for your Reaper comment. I won't get them for months, but I've already taken to revisiting their kickstarter page every once in a while to gaze upon my future collection lovingly, cooing softly under my breath at my precious pretties . . . .

Ahem *wipes drool from mouth* Where was I? Something about dragons. Yeah. Dragons are cool. We should definitely have dragons and stuff.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Lung (Chinese) dragons.

I would prefer they keep the proliferation of dragons down in this edition, no puce, beige, tope, and chartreuse dragons, please.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
steel_drg.gif

This was always my favorite Dragon to me cuz I don't like the idea of hexopod dragon... (2e Art)

Unless you make your dragons Arthropod, they should have either 4 legs, or 2 legs and 2 wings, or 4 wings.

From that pregudice there I felt a stronger pull to the Steel Dragon and thus their story stuff became my favorite.

Stormonu

Legend
I want a dragon to do this:

<snip>

Round 1:

The dragon eats the fighter

Round 2:

The party flees the field. As the dragon leaps after them, it unleashes a cloud of blistering flame. The cleric, slowed by his armor, is roasted alive. The wizard is singed, his protective magic against flame dashed by the assault, his flapping robes aflame. Ahead of him, the rogue manages to high step out of the flames as his flailing legs keep him a mere stride ahead of the burning wizard.

Round 3:

The dragon's leap lands it foreclaws first, spalttering the mage beneath tons of reptilian armored flesh. Without a pause, the mighty beast whirls about, and its thorny tail catches the fleeing thief along his back. With a shriek, the rogue is hurled across the cavern and into the wall, where his bones shatter with a sickening crunch. A moment later, the dragon licks the pasted rogue off the wall.

Round 4:

The rogue player sits back in his chair. "Damn," he muses. "Maybe raiding a dragon's lair wasn't the easiest way to strike it rich."

"Perhaps," cautions the DM, "the next time it would be smarter to sneak the treasure out and avoid a fight."

slobster

Hero
Lung (Chinese) dragons.

I would prefer they keep the proliferation of dragons down in this edition, no puce, beige, tope, and chartreuse dragons, please.

As a point of order, Lung means "dragon", so lung dragons are "dragon dragons". Always bothered me.

But yes, my anal retentiveness aside, Eastern dragons would be welcome in my D&D games. I've always seen them as more forces of nature or expressions of the way the world is ordered, as opposed to overgrown beasts, which I find an interesting variation (even if overgrown, avaricious beast is sometimes what you want out of a dragon).

gyor

Legend
The faerie dragon is the best dragon. :D

Otherwise, cover the classic metallic and chromatic and then some of the others like shadow, fang, the planar dragons like howling/pyroclastic/etc before even thinking about some of the wierd 4e dragons.

The main dragons 4e added like Purple and Steel dragons originated before 4e, 4e just promoted them to true dragons, because they basically were in all but name.

Fang Dragons which you mention are also called Grey Dragons in 4e.

Fang Dragons actually appear in the absolutely awesome Dragon Rage trilogy, along with other types.

Oddly 4e never touched on Crystal Dragons which were pretty cool as well.

The other dragons 4e did were Planar Dragons and Catostrophic dragon, which admittedly were pretty cool actually, and technically Planar Dragons themselves.

They also did some cool drakes like Lion Drakes which made neat mounts, or would have if they scaled better.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Paladine and Takhisis. I may be biased on this one.

Gem dragons, 'cause the psionic dragons were just cool. And we need dragons that represent the neutral alignments.

Above all, I want Elmore-style dragons. I do not want to see a return to the Cthulhu-esque tentacle versions.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases