A D&D Song Competition

Sialia

First Post
Oh well, if we're just jumping in, then

I rather thought we might wait until the rules were announced and all that before posting, but what the hey. If the rules turn out it has to be something new, not based on someone else's copyrighted material that we could reasonably record and call original, and that it has to work in a photo of a concrete sphere, a pair of green hands, and an exploding pigeon, I'll just write something new within the 72 hour limit.

(That was a reference to Ceramic GM, for those of you who missed that)

So, while we're using up the pre-existing filks before the judges or voting mechanism are announced, here's one I like to think of as "The Earworm of ABBA":

You're in the mood to kill
And when you need a thrill . . .
You are a big thri-kreen
leaping, fleet and extremely mean.
Big Thri-kreen,
Eat my liver, then you eat my spleen, oh yeah,
You can breed
You can thrive,
Living in group minded hive
Oh ohhh
Watch me squirm,
Watch me scream,
Fleeing the big thri kreen . . .

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I rather thought we might wait until the rules were announced and all that before posting, but what the hey. If the rules turn out it has to be something new, not based on someone else's copyrighted material that we could reasonably record and call original, and that it has to work in a photo of a concrete sphere, a pair of green hands, and an exploding pigeon, I'll just write something new within the 72 hour limit.

song parodies are protected speech, so they don't fall under copyright protection (danny, back me up)

That doesn't mean the contest can't require fully original songs, vs. parodies. But there's not a copyright problem to avoid.

Generally, in the FILK genre, it's mostly parodies (like Wierd Al, and the Great LukeSki for instance tend to do a lot of).

I know from experience, I can write and record an original song (music and lyrics) in about a day, assuming access to a decent home recording studio. That doesn't mean it's good, but it has 3-4 verses, a chorus, a bridge, solo, and 4 tracks (drums, bass, guitar, vox).

It's a lot easier doing a parody, because the music's written, the lyrics are framed to fit within the music, all you have to do is replace the words.

It's a lot harder writing an original song about dungeons and dragons, without making it sound stupid. A few bands pull it off, but it's not an easy subject without making it a joke song.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I know from experience, I can write and record an original song (music and lyrics) in about a day, assuming access to a decent home recording studio. That doesn't mean it's good, but it has 3-4 verses, a chorus, a bridge, solo, and 4 tracks (drums, bass, guitar, vox).
Same here, though all the various non-vocal bits would be done by keyboard were I flying solo.
Janx said:
It's a lot easier doing a parody, because the music's written, the lyrics are framed to fit within the music, all you have to do is replace the words.
I find the opposite is true: it's way easier to play my own stuff than to try and play someone else's.
Janx said:
It's a lot harder writing an original song about dungeons and dragons, without making it sound stupid. A few bands pull it off, but it's not an easy subject without making it a joke song.
So the obvious plan B is to do a joke song that's good enough everyone forgets it's a joke... :)

Lanefan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
With apologies to Jimi. (Manic Depression)

Dungeons & Dragons is touching my soul
I know what I want but I just don't know
How to, go about gettin' it
Minis, sweet minis,
Held in my fingers, fingers
Dungeons & Dragons is catchin' my soul

DM so weary, the sweet cause in vain
You make world, we break worlds
It's all the same
When it's, when it's over, gamer
Missing, not critting
I wish I could express, express, express
Dungeons & Dragons is a frustrating mess

Well, I think I'll go let myself out,
And go on home
All the way home
Really ain't no use in me hanging around
In your kinda game

Missing, not critting
I wish I could express, express, express
Dungeons & Dragons is a frustrating mess

I have an addiction...and I cannot find any chapters of Filkaholics Anonymous. Ehhh- I'd probably turn their 12 Steps into a D&D-themed Munchkin/Roll-player checklist.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Calling StephenAC! Man, that guy can write fantasy songs like no one's business. I'll also point out that [MENTION=726]Sagiro[/MENTION] wrote, composed and performed a freakin' 10 song musical based on my campaign. I'll check with him to see if bits are okay to post.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
song parodies are protected speech, so they don't fall under copyright protection (danny, back me up)

That doesn't mean the contest can't require fully original songs, vs. parodies. But there's not a copyright problem to avoid.

Generally, in the FILK genre, it's mostly parodies (like Wierd Al, and the Great LukeSki for instance tend to do a lot of).

We could do two categories.

Sialia

First Post
Also

Black . . . Black . . . Black

Black is the Color of My True Love's Scales.
Her neck is longer than others' tails.
The sharpest teeth, and her strongest claws--
I love the fumes from each breath she draws.

Black is the color of my true love's ponds.
She langourous lurks beneath dampened fronds,
And lies in wait as a rotting log,
The sleekest that's e'er roamed swamp or bog.

Piles of platinum are in her hoard,
And gold and silver are likewise stored,
And I'll stalk her with cunning and malevolence
For my love for them is likewise intense.

(Folk melody, more or less. I seem to have recalled a different verse structure than the version below, but then folk music is like that) Just go with the melody from the first verse and repeat. For those who don't know it already: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFApa21pH0U"]Black is the colour of my true loves.... - YouTube[/ame])

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases