A D&D Song Competition

Janx

Hero
In the interest of encouragizing [MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION]:

multi-track recording is the way to go.

On an original song: Record drums. then bass, then guitar, then vocals.

On a parody, grab a singing game (rockband) that has the song you want. Set it to no-fail and turn off the original singer (so you won't have the original vox over-powering yours).

setup a mic in the room that can pick up both the TV and your singing (or use a mixer and feed the TV audio and you vox mic). Sing your song with a great backing band and record. Listen and re-do if the mix ain't right.

it's very do-able.

You could use Audacity (a free open-source app) to do the audio mixing. Record the TV playing the band (no singing) and capture the vox-less song). Then record your voice while playing the music track in Audacity (wear headphones).

This is basically how the Great LukeSki did some of his material, using Karaoke tracks.

I strongly encourage anybody with an interest to try recording your song. Do not be intimidated by the complexity of it. You can do it.

Me and my friend had no clue what we were doing when we did RPM Challenge 2008. We could barely play our instruments, let alone play a song all the way through. GarageBand let us record patches and repeat them, and made the process easy. There's an App for that now. We succeeded despite our ineptitude because the tools exist and we kept at it.

Now, what kind of gear does everybody have (exclude instruments, they're the trivial part of recording). I've got:
a laptop of decent speed, memory and drive space
a USB vocal-grade microphone from Rockband (will work on PC, or on iPad with USB adapter)
GarageBand on iPad
Audacity on PC
Line 6 Pod XT Live that can feed audio into PC over USB for recording guitars

I also have RockBand 1-3 so I have a pile of material if I wanted to capture a backing track for a Parody.

For me, I'd use GarageBand on my iPad for an original song. It has virtual instruments, so I can lay down a drum track. I can feed my guitar in to record those tracks. Then just get the $30 USB adapter to use my mic to record vox (really need a better singer). Worst case, use the mic on the headphones the iPhone ships with.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
multi-track recording is the way to go.

On an original song: Record drums. then bass, then guitar, then vocals.

On a parody, grab a singing game (rockband) that has the song you want. Set it to no-fail and turn off the original singer (so you won't have the original vox over-powering yours).

I know the steps, I'm just not up to speed with controls or gear.

Somewheres 'round here, I have things like a Teac mic, a Korg Pandora PX-4 & 5, and a Tascam guitar recorder/computer interface. But for the Korgs, they're all dusty, instruction manuals unopened.

As for the karaoke option, I don't own anything that would let me do that. And I'm not likely to in the near future, either. My funtime cash stash for the foreseeable future is about to be depleted purchasing a half dozen of these ( :D ), a custom guitar a lot like this ( :cool: ), and an abdominal hernia repair surgery ( :( ).

I'm going to be cut up, drugged up, and kinda out of it for a while.

However, if this contest flies, perhaps I can be ready for Gamer Idol II!

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
and an abdominal hernia repair surgery ( :( ).

I'm going to be cut up, drugged up, and kinda out of it for a while.

However, if this contest flies, perhaps I can be ready for Gamer Idol II!

Well, surgery is probably your best excuse. I don't think you'd need to spend any money with the stuff you have. A pretty primitive rig can work, youtube's chock full of them.

I hope the surgery goes well. Though being drugged up and out of it may be the perfect time to be writing lyrics. Allegedly, some people are very creative while drugged.

Write like the Wind, Danny Alcatraz.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think you'd need to spend any money with the stuff you have

Oh, I agree- I just don't think that my lazy ass will be up to speed on working my gear in time to be a factor, especially with my pending post-op stupor being taken into account.

The thing about spending $$ was about not owning any of the karaoke-able options that could get me up & running in this in a day or so.

But I'll restate- anyone who wants to use my filks for their entry can do so with my blessings!

Though being drugged up and out of it may be the perfect time to be writing lyrics.

Alas, I'm not one of those either!

The last real surgery I had- a football injury requiring an ACL & MCL repair- had me in a lengthy recovery in which my anti-pain meds had me functionally illiterate for about a year. Looking at standard sized text such as in a book, magazine or newspaper resulted in me seeing the letters jumping around on the page like conga-dancing ants. A known and extremely rare but harmless reaction.

Apparently, my medical history is full of anomalies that occur in 1%> of the population. I'm Captian Corner Case!

Last edited:

So WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THIS?????
Danny, my brother from another mother... you left me hanging dog....
I rarely get on the RPG side of stuff anymore, and I completely missed this.

I'm damn depressed now.... thanks a lot...

<sniff>

meanies

<sniff>

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Its still in the planning stages, m'Bro! Not even guaranteed to happen!

(though I should have shot ya a PM when I found this)

I bet [MENTION=35678]Nyaricus[/MENTION] would dig this, too, but he hasn't been here in 2 years or so...and didn't reply to my message from a year ago. *sigh*

Last edited:

Sialia

First Post
Look, just don't overcomplicate things. Listen to the "How Can I keep From Singing" track above. It's just singing. That's all there is to it. Good singing.

Anything else is gravy.

Remove ads