D&D General GM's Closet for the CONAN RPG

Water Bob

Adventurer
loveus5.jpg

Water Bob

Adventurer
KNOWN WORLD GAZETTEERS

I'm just thinking out loud here, as I haven't dug through the Gazetteers in a long, long time. But, I'm thinking that many of the old GAZ Gazetteers that support Mystara, or the Known World, for the Basic D&D game, could be mined for lots of joy for use in a Conan game.

GAZ 11 The Republic of Darokin could be used to flesh out a game set in Zingara, for example. There's so little official game material on that area, and this module could be used--after Conan-ization--for ideas.

GAZ 7 The Northern Reaches could be used to flesh out Vanir and Aesir focused games.

GAZ 9 The Minrothad Guilds could be used to flesh out the Barrachan Pirates and be used for a ship-based game. Or, it could be used for a game set in the Vilayet among Red Brotherhood.

GAZ 2 The Emirates of Ylaruam could be used to bolster the setting of Shem.

GAZ 12 The Golden Khan of Ethengar could be used to flesh out Nomad games set in Hyrkania. Or, possibly a game set in western Shem.

GAZ 14 The Atruaghin Clans, with a little tone change, could be used to flesh out the Picts.

GAZ 1 The Grand Duchy of Karameikos and any of the modules or boxed sets having to do with Thyatis could be used to flesh out any Hyborian kingdom.

And so on.

16979.jpg

16982.jpg

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Nice pics Water Bob nicely done to keep the Conan flames a burning for five years since the thread start :)

I haven't read but the first few pages and the last few but has anyone mentioned Primeval Thule campaign setting to mine for story ideas?

Water Bob

Adventurer
Nice pics Water Bob nicely done to keep the Conan flames a burning for five years since the thread start :)

I haven't read but the first few pages and the last few but has anyone mentioned Primeval Thule campaign setting to mine for story ideas?

Yep, it's in the thread a time or two. Feel free to add your two silvers.

The pics are supposed to be inspiration for GMs. I only post pics that look like the Hyborian Age.

Water Bob

Adventurer
THE KEEPERS OF NERGAL

There's an interesting use of sorcery in The Spider-God's Bride adventure one, The Necromancer's Knife. I've tweaked this a bit for my game.

The Keepers are priests of Nergal. They keep and maintain the dead that are in the crypt below the city. When someone is killed on the streets, the dead are left where they fall. That is the custom. For, at dusk, a thick cloud of fog will roll into the city and cover where the dead lay. If anyone looks close (and most lock themselves inside a safe place, as far away from the Keeper's Fog as they can get), that person will probably see vague movement of what looks like dead people moving inside the fog. The dead have come to claim the newly dead, taking them into their new existence. Any who actually see the fog and/or the shapes moving within are subject to the Terror Check from the core rulebook.

What's really happening (and this is a GM secret that the players may or may not discover) is that those moving in the fog are quite alive. They are men. Priests of Nergal who have asked for and gained a blessing from their god (they cast a sorcerous spell, though they don't think it as sorcery). Specifically, they are using a version of the Prestidigitation (Conjuring) spell to create the illusion that the priests are walking dead in a cloud of sorcerous fog.

The priests, called "The Keepers", under cover of this spell, come in a group, pick up the dead, and take them under ground to the Crypts of Nergal.

e4913ab81f8b680bc997953daee076a3--scorpion-d-art.jpg

Prestidigitation (Conjuring): The specifics of this particular spell, since the spell can be tuned to react in a number of outcomes, is that the Priests of Nergal only know this specific use, and they look at the outcome as a combination of religious faith, specific dogma, and a blessing from Nergal.

The fog is created through alchemy. A fairly easy to create (but with secret ingredients only known to The Keepers) liquid that is poured on the ground. The substance immediately begins to bubble, foam, and create fog.

Once the fog is dense enough, and a large enough cloud is created to encompass the required number of Keepers, the spell is cast in the manner of a blessing (verbal component, with casting time as one standard action). The spell requires 2 power points be spent, one for each effect. The fog is moved as per the spell, surrounding the Keepers. And, each Keeper casts the spell individually to give himself the appearance of walking dead. Those Keepers not controlling the fog spend only 1 power point to their appearance.

Last edited:

Remove ads