[Stars Without Number] Hard Light

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The Sisyphus comes out of drillspace at the end of the Hard Light system. The spike drive's persistent hum -- more felt than heard -- dwindles away to be replaced by the steady thrum of standard engines. It's still a few days to Brightside Station, but most the trip now lies behind.

The system is infamous for its star, the red giant Perdurabo that burns at the center of the Hard Light system. Perdurabo casts its lethal radiance out from the molten slag-droplets of the inner system to the charred debris that circles at the outer rim. It is monstrously hostile to all living flesh. The radioactivity emitted by the star is enough to burn through ship shielding in a matter of days and the only safety lies in hiding behind the scorched bulk of some lonely stone.

Brightside Station was built here fifty years ago, its materials brought up from the half-melted planetoid of iron and rock that serves as its shield against Perdurabo. It was a remarkably risky investment by the Geostellar Mining Industries, but Perdurabo offered wealth as well as death. The star emits tiny particles of novium amid its sleet of radiation. This rare substance is vital for the maintenance and upkeep of many pretech manufacturing devices, and GMI needed Brightside to serve as a refinery for its catcher drones.

The station itself is built along the old Bannerjee Twelve structural lines, a construction pattern popular since pre-Scream days for its cheapness, reliability, and ease of maintenance. The fittings aren’t especially modern, and the living is primitive compared to more advanced stations, but the reliability is vital in the face of Hard Light’s special dangers. The station is an ovoid cylinder in shape, its habitable decks divided into three levels.

Perhaps more impressive than people surviving on Brightside Station despite Perdurabo's malevolence are the sky tombs. The sky tombs were discovered only a scant two years ago, and there has been no real archaeological or xenological study of them performed yet. The only people who have made a concentrated effort to explore them have been adventurers and freebooters with minimal interest in the society or history of their creators.

Of course, much of this system trivia is really just that: trivia. Your duties aboard the Sisyphus aren't likely to give you much time for sightseeing or relaxing. Once the Sisyphus takes on its shipment of novium, you're due back into the spaceways. All total, your stay on station will probably be measured in hours rather than days.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Mara sits at the window of the ship, watching the light display of the radiation slowly chipping away at the shields, simply amazed at the view of a whole different star system than the one she grew up in.

kinem

Adventurer
Jase McMoon paces the corridors of the Sisyphus, impatient for this trip to be over. I wonder if our employer expects any trouble ... I doubt it though usually that's why they hire me. Of course, being cooped up long term in that forsaken station might have made someone dangerously crazy.

Songdragon

Explorer
Cameron had taken a seat with the many passengers as he stared out one of the small windows to look over the system as the Sisyphus entered normal space. He peered to one of the passengers with an infectious smile and commtened, "I will never get tired of seeing what the universe has to reveal." He turned back to the sights beyond.

It was not long before there was a loud call from the crew hatch, "Jhal! Break's over." Those that turned to see who was yelling could see a small stump of a man in dirty green jumpsuit of someone who worked with engines.

The young man peered over his shoulder and looked back to the passengers around him as he rolled his eyes and chuckled, "Always a spoil sport."

"Coming Chief." he answered.

The man looked to some of the other passengers, "Catch you in a few hours for dinner." He then pushed himself up out of the seat and made for the hatch. He looked back over his shoulder to catch a last look and then was through the hatch.

A few hours later Cameron, dressed on a dark reddish jumpsuit made his way into the cafeteria area. His short wavy dirty-blonde hair contrasting the uniform nicely, if such was possible. The young man, perhaps in his early twenties, had a light complexion. He carried himself in a confident comfortable manner, like he knew what it was like to be on a starship. He approached a table with a tray full of food with some others he had met on the flight and was getting know. "Care for some company?" The man did not wait to sit down and looked around the table, "Get it while you can, you never know when you might eat next... or what the food might be like." He let out a laugh and looked around the table.

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

(russian accent) "Dobryj den'" She looks up from her food at the newcomer when he sits down, hearing his warning of hunger she stealthily slips a meal bar into her pocket, old habits die hard.

"I am named Mara, it is good to meet you."

Last edited:

Songdragon

Explorer
"Cameron," the young man states between a mouthful of food. He puts out a hand to shake.

"Seen ya about at your seat most of the trip. Good to finally put a name to the face." he says with a smile. "I assume you are passing through the Hard Light system?"

Cameron cuts a piece of his food, something long and green. He brings it up and smells it and with a shrug pops it in his mouth and as he eats it seems to be mulling over if whatever it was, tastes good. After a swallow he comes up with an answer, "Tastes alright. Not something you want all the time mind you."

Moon_Goddess

Mara shakes his hand,

"I am to be, how is say, 'additional personal.' Job is job, yes?"

She watches him play with is food. "Still is better than being hungry, no? My world is very little is good to eat"

kinem

Adventurer
Jase makes his way to the mess room. Satisfied that the ship was safe for now, he gets some stew. It looks brown and unappetizing, and not made of anything from his home world, so he adds some spices to it. Good enough.

He adjusts his weapons for comfort and sits down at the table where others are eating. "Hello. I'm Jase McMoon. Troubleshooter. How's it going?"

Songdragon

Explorer
Cameron nods, "Aye, I know how that is. As you said though, work is work. Keeps you feed, and hopefully gives a safe place to sleep too."

The man eats and listens to the woman and catches sight of another of the crew coming over and motions for him to take up a vacant chair, "Heya Chase. I'm Cameron, this little lady here is Mara. We were just talking about eating our worlds." the man says the last in jest at the woman's choice of words. "Well, at the least getting good grub."

[sblock=Cameron's Mini-Stats]Cameron Jhal
Expert 1
Initiative: +0 (1d8) Perception +0
Conditions: none
Physical Effect Save: 16 Mental Effect Save: 17 Evasion Save: 12 Tech Save: 11 Luck Save: 14 (1d20, roll higher than save)
AC: 9
Hit Points: 2 of 2
In Hand: nothing
Like a Charm: 1/hour

Cheat Sheet
Inaitive: 1d8 + (dex modifer)
Combat: 1d20 + (target's AC) + (Combat skill) + (Attriute) + (attack bonus) = 20 or higher to hit (-2 to use non-proficent weapon, +1 to use energy weapons)
Skills: 2d6 + skill (if no skill, -1 to skill) to roll over DC 6 to 14[/sblock]

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Mara manages to eat her fill and stuffs a few small items in her pockets.

"This flight, has gone on forever, no?"

Remove ads