Revolution

Couple more thoughts on it:

The wall around the village is almost certainly not for keeping out "the army" but keeping out wild animals (especially dogs/wolves. Doesn't explain why it's so HIGH... but the village is within the Monroe Republic, isn't it? Have to rewatch to figure that one out...

We'll never have to see another plane inexplicably tumble from the sky in a flat spin. Let it go.

It's television. We don't even get accurate history from the history channel. We sure won't get accurate science and physics from a science fiction show. Let it go.

Characters definitely need to liven up and become more interesting.

Now that we know what the plot is it needs to gain some speed. What these characters do has to matter, it has to move things along to somewhere.

What a waste of Elizabeth Mitchell (best thing the show has going for it) if we're only ever going to see her in a few flashbacks for a few seconds.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Well, it is going like a D&D game...

Little back story to connect the characters to the plot.
Tragic event to get the character on the road, the character (a ranger) is joined by a healer (the blonde) and by a wizard (google). Later they meet up with a rogue / spy and then the Paladin (trust me he has a code) with a dark past...

:)

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...We'll never have to see another plane inexplicably tumble from the sky in a flat spin. Let it go.

It's television. We don't even get accurate history from the history channel. We sure won't get accurate science and physics from a science fiction show. Let it go...

No, I don't think I will. These were simple things that would have taken no more production effort or money to get right, than it took to get them wrong. That's laziness. Laziness in writing, and laziness in production. I expect more from science fiction today than I did 20 years ago...or even just 5 years ago. And I think with good reason. Shows that come along and take the mental effort to do it right (as much as possible), such as Serenity/Firefly and BSG, have raised viewers expectations. If you're not even willing to attempt to meet viewers modern expectations, then you also can't have the expectation that I will watch it.

It's that simple.

So how about you watch it for the reasons you have. I'll not watch it for the reasons I have.

And we stop telling other people to "Let it Go"....:erm:

Keldryn

Adventurer
I'm with you, Man. Did you also notice that their navigation lights were still flashing all the way down...:erm:

Probably NOT an oversight on their part. Most likely it was a concession made so that the planes were still visible against the night sky, especially those in the distance.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Maybe. But I'm sure they could have come up with another way to ensure that, and still remain consistent to their own internal rules.

It seems to me that they could just had the night be a full moon, and have the viewer have a bit higher perspective (instead of ground level as in the trailer shot). That way you have the moon highlighting these silvery missiles (not flat-spinning aircraft) streaking towards the ground, and multitudes of explosions in the distance to give the impact to the viewer of so many aircraft crashing.

Crothian

First Post
BAD: fight physics- not only do guns not actually knock you back, crossbows REALLY don't knock you back; planes don't fall like that unless they do a steep vertical climb and stall- something an airliner is unlikely to be doing;

I'm sure they didn't mean to do it but they did explain it in the show. The laws of physics have been altered that was a pretty big point they made in the episode. :cool:

Well, if you have a plane, and stuff starts to shut off irregularly, one wing's engines might work while the others don't. The plane might start to bank and yaw, causing it to stall and go into a spin.

slobster

Hero
Plentiful spoilers here, DO NOT READ if that sort of thing will bother you.

The plane thing did briefly bother me, but more in a resigned smirk sort of way. Stuff like that happens in TV, and you move on. Same with the crossbow of kickback +2, or the instantly deadly booze (you know they were going to die because they spit up blood).

I was less forgiving of the ending, which seems to be spoiling the whole premise of the show (world without electricity!!!!) before it even had a chance to get going.

It also bothers me when shows set up two or more stories that are segregated from each other, then flip back and forth. It prevents me from getting invested in either one, and I'm usually just impatient for them to get through the boring stuff in the one I don't like so I can find out what happens to the people I actually care about. Ensemble shows work because the people interact with each other, allowing some bleed over from story to story. Charlie and her useless brother are completely separated, so until they fix that it will bother me.

But like others have said, it gets two more episodes to win me over, or at least hook me somehow. Maybe things will improve.

So how about you watch it for the reasons you have. I'll not watch it for the reasons I have.

And we stop telling other people to "Let it Go"....:erm:
My remarks were not directed at anyone in particular. It clearly bothers you a lot more than I that the show failed to rate a 10/10 out of the gate. They can't ALL be Firefly or BSG, much as _I_ would love it if they were. It's Hollywood. My own expectations are NOT that high (though I admit I did have slightly higher aspirations and expectations for this one). A couple of falling planes and some over-the-top action don't add up to a zero tolerance policy for me.

I've watched gobs of really wonderfully written shows with great casts (not just SF but all genres) wither and die or be grotesquely executed by sheer network incompetence since the original Star Trek. If I got to choke on a few falling planes to allow a series a chance at proving itself worthy despite missteps I'll gladly do so.

I mentioned Star Trek: TNG as a case of not-very-good taking a couple years to actually click. There are certainly others that may require a cast change or addition, a shift in plot direction, the hiring of a writer or two (or FIRING of same), or simply the cast needing time to finally blossom in their roles. These things can be hard enough to nail down if given some leeway. If given none at all, if they all faced the zero tolerance policy you seem to hold, then we'd all best be prepared for a lot more shows like "Real Tanning Professionals of Tallahassee go to Austin with the Stars!"

Of course, YMMV

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases