Revolution

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
The would have been better to show herbal treatments for Asthma; honey, apples and ginger, licorice root...guess that would piss off the drug companies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
guess that would piss off the drug companies.

It would also probably cheese off those who decided to use the herbal remedies, and ended up in an asthma crisis. We created drugs because the herbal remedies are often insufficient.

It would have been even better if they'd shown the entirely mechanical treatment that gets many asthmatics through an attack when medication isn't available - restricting airflow. A major part of the difficulty in an asthma attack is, essentially, a fluid dynamics problem. If you can restrict airflow at intake (by having the asthmatic breath through a straw or the barrel of a pen, or even just pursing their lips) you can smooth airflow in the lungs, making breathing much easier.

Janx

Hero
It would also probably cheese off those who decided to use the herbal remedies, and ended up in an asthma crisis. We created drugs because the herbal remedies are often insufficient.

It would have been even better if they'd shown the entirely mechanical treatment that gets many asthmatics through an attack when medication isn't available - restricting airflow. A major part of the difficulty in an asthma attack is, essentially, a fluid dynamics problem. If you can restrict airflow at intake (by having the asthmatic breath through a straw or the barrel of a pen, or even just pursing their lips) you can smooth airflow in the lungs, making breathing much easier.

I agree on the former. I had asthma as a kid, and I ate most of that stuff because that's what kids eat. Didn't prevent any attacks. And I'm pretty sure whatever useful ingredient was in licorice or honey or apples (who eats ginger?) wasn't in strong enough dosage. That's what medicine is for.

On the latter, breathing through a tube sounds counter-intuitive. You're barely getting enough air during an attack, restricting the intake further would be intimidating to the patient. I've never heard of it, but if you say there's some physics reason why it can work, I'll keep that in mind in the even of another attack. I've beeen asthma free for over 20 years, knock on wood.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic

;) Oh, you witch hunter, you! :) (that is just in fun - I know what you are saying)

Or the kid always wearing a mask. :) Which, would be more dramic and a visual to the viewers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
On the latter, breathing through a tube sounds counter-intuitive.

Yes, it does. But so does "breathe slow and deeply", which is the usual advice you see floating around. This merely *enforces* slow and deep breathing. I learned of the trick when I saw an asthmatic friend reach for a straw when she had an attack and didn't have her inhaler handy.

You're barely getting enough air during an attack, restricting the intake further would be intimidating to the patient.

Yes, it would, at first. But the patient can quickly learn otherwise.

You ever stand in a real high wind (or stick your head out of a car window at high speed), and find it difficult to breathe? It is a similar effect. If the internal passageways are constricted, trying to jam too much air in at the mouth is counter-productive. It creates turbulence in the lungs, restricting flow even more than the inflammation of the passageways would account for, and that results in a feeling of panic in the patient.

Restrict the rate of intake, you avoid that turbulence. So, air flows as well as possible, and the patient ends up feeling like he or she *will* be able to take another breath, and the panic recedes. It doesn't fix the inflammation, so if that is bad enough you are still in trouble, but it make sthe air flow as well as it can given that inflammation.

I've never heard of it, but if you say there's some physics reason why it can work, I'll keep that in mind in the even of another attack. I've beeen asthma free for over 20 years, knock on wood.

Do feel free to ask your doctor about this. Any asthmatic - don't take my word for it, ask your doctor! This is not a replacement for medical attention - it is merely an emergency technique to try when you don't have an inhaler handy.

Last edited:

Well, I tried to see past the previews and decided to give this show a chance, because the premise was legitimately interesting. Unfortunately, I was very unimpressed.

I simply cannot understand the inconsistencies in the world they're trying to portray. For example, why is the elite army squad sent after the main characters using swords, crossbows, and muskets? Guns were made by hand far before electricity was commonly used in manufacturing. Heck, automatic guns date back to the Civil War. If they're using front-loading guns, lack of powder can't be an issue (because those are highly inefficient). And from the look of all the brand new, high quality swords, metalworking must still be a prime business. I can understand that "civilians" wouldn't have access to all this, but surely the capability still exists.

On a related note, why is the leader of the largest militia living in a canvas tent? Where are the simple, non-electric motors? Where did nerd-guy store his ACDC t-shirt so that it would be in perfect condition 15 years later? Why is the main character wearing a midriff shirt, and where does she buy her (plainly visible) modern shaping bras?

Looking past all that stuff, I can am capable of enjoying a good story even if it's in a bad setting. But this, so far, has not been that story. The plot is not particularly interesting, innovative, or unpredictable. I'm not really invested in any of the characters, and I sure as heck am not invested in yet another TV show with a mysterious premise that shows little hope of the mystery ever being revealed. And it's not campy enough to enjoy the silliness.

At this point, I think my plan for this show is to wait til the end of the season and check out how it's doing next spring. If it shows signs of improvement and has good enough ratings to propel it into a second year it may be worth another shot.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Guns were made by hand far before electricity was commonly used in manufacturing. Heck, automatic guns date back to the Civil War.

Gatling guns date back to the Civil War, but they're a bit of a pain in the neck to work with, and are not singe-man portable.

If they're using front-loading guns, lack of powder can't be an issue (because those are highly inefficient).

Modern semi-automatics and automatics don't deal well with the soot of black powder. So, simply reloading the shells with what's available doesn't work.

And from the look of all the brand new, high quality swords, metalworking must still be a prime business. I can understand that "civilians" wouldn't have access to all this, but surely the capability still exists.

From the look of it, that capability does exist, but is limited, so the weapons are limited to officers.

On a related note, why is the leader of the largest militia living in a canvas tent?

Because he's in the field, not at home?

Where are the simple, non-electric motors?

I expect the algebra teacher had one to generate electricity locally. But, they wont' be widespread, as fuel would likely be scarce, because the infrastructure to get fossil fuels without electricity hasn't been re-built yet.

Where did nerd-guy store his ACDC t-shirt so that it would be in perfect condition 15 years later?

That wasn't in perfect condition, for one thing. I've had 10-year old T-shirts that looked like that. So, say the shirt sits in an abandoned Wal-mart, or someone's dresser drawer, for a couple years, until he digs it out and uses it.

Why is the main character wearing a midriff shirt, and where does she buy her (plainly visible) modern shaping bras?

As noted upthread - synthetic fabrics survive pretty well with time. If many people died off soon after the blackout, there'd be a surplus afterwards.

Looking past all that stuff, I can am capable of enjoying a good story even if it's in a bad setting. But this, so far, has not been that story. The plot is not particularly interesting, innovative, or unpredictable.

Bona fide new plots are harder to come by than people think. There are *billions* of us on the planet, and we are constantly telling stories, and have been for millennia. There are few plots left undiscovered.

I'm not really invested in any of the characters, and I sure as heck am not invested in yet another TV show with a mysterious premise that shows little hope of the mystery ever being revealed.

Oh, I think they'll get to the mystery, given that the father (and uncle) of the main character seems to be central to the issue, and we've now seen two McGuffins linked to it.

But, honestly, the mystery isn't the interesting bit (at least to me). How people deal with the mystery is. They can (and I think should) just elide over it with pseudo-scientific gobbledegook. Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow, and all that, is fine - just have the interactions between forces and characters be interesting in the process.

So maybe...

Season 1: Get on our feat, learn the players, and that there may be a way to turn the power back on.

Season 2: Quest to turn the power back on. Hunt McGuffins, perform magic ritual, etc, all while fending off the various players.

Season 3: Begin dealing with having power back on.

Fast Learner

First Post
The new-ish clothes aren't that much of an issue to me, since it's probably safe to assume that 1/2 to 3/4 of humanity has already died off. Stuff sitting in drawers and closets of non-burnt-down houses can last a really long time.

Fast Learner

First Post
So maybe...

Season 1: Get on our feat, learn the players, and that there may be a way to turn the power back on.

Season 2: Quest to turn the power back on. Hunt McGuffins, perform magic ritual, etc, all while fending off the various players.

Season 3: Begin dealing with having power back on.

I think that sounds, though I suspect from the show's title that a big part of the plot will be about forming a group to overthrow the current dictator.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
[MENTION=7808]Deset Gled[/MENTION] try and think of it as a happy meal version of life after the end of the world.

Yes, lots of guns about but you have issues with your ammo. Gun powered can be made but going back to the basics means going back to the dangers related to it's creation; 25+% change of something getting blown up. So, like on a ship, you control your firepower only bring it out when needed.

As far as the leader of the militia living in a tent, he may be on campaign, taking over other areas. As we do not have a timeline yet and full back story of events, there maybe other plots going on.

Clothing, well, there are a lot of stores out there. Then you have things there may have never got off the docks. Other wise, trade goods.

Timeline as I see it:
24 hours after going dark - chaos starts this and last for two years before "organized" order could be restored. This is limited to only a few areas. Also during this time, you should have the failure of inferstucture, cities going back to nature, bridge falling, nuclear power plant going boom, storage tanks leaking.

2 to 12 years - reunification of the united states (as I like to call it) this would be all those organized groups fighting to see their version of the USA. This would basicly lead to regonal governments.

15 years - where we are now. Areas been under control of militia for a number of years. Some areas of the country, poison, mostly the east cost. What we should be seeing at this time, lots of steam. People should be re-using that tech as they would remember it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases